Mojave Mojave EXB build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeriousPigeon

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I’m new to Arrma and this forum. Thought I’d try a build thread to catalogue what will probably be a series of disasters. It will probably be a bit slow.
First task is to swap the connectors on the battery pack for some new XT90s.

4AC390DF-B3D7-456B-BA73-F07C8E38FE1D.jpeg

First one done
And the second
E8C9DC56-58A5-48F0-96C9-8DD1FBC882E3.jpeg

Not super interesting but I wanted to try out these connectors for this build.

And here is the bare truck
BBDAFD6C-9609-4E59-B1C4-7EE43641B9AA.jpeg

and that’s it for now.
The kit list -
Hobbywing Max6 ESC
Hobbywing 4985 EZRUN motor
Overlander 3S 5000mah 35C x 2
XT90s connectors
Futaba 3pv radio tx and rx
Servo - Banggood spt543lv-180 - this may change

Hi,
I’m new to Arrma and this forum. Thought I’d try a build thread to catalogue what will probably be a series of disasters. It will probably be a bit slow.
First task is to swap the connectors on the battery pack for some new XT90s.

View attachment 183722

First one done
And the second
View attachment 183723

Not super interesting but I wanted to try out these connectors for this build.

And here is the bare truck
View attachment 183724
and that’s it for now.
The kit list -
Hobbywing Max6 ESC
Hobbywing 4985 EZRUN motor
Overlander 3S 5000mah 35C x 2
XT90s connectors
Futaba 3pv radio tx and rx
Servo - Banggood spt543lv-180 - this may change
Looks like you are off to a good start....my build thread is super crazy boring.....and now that the weather is crappy.....I am ready to send it on its maiden voyage.

Don't be afraid to reach out to the forum if you run into a snag........I have quite a few times and got the advice I needed

Will 35C batteries be ok for this motor, esc combo? These are the batteries I used on the Axial Yeti XL, so would be good if I don’t have to buy another set.

I believe that’s the lowest it advises to run in the 6s rigs? I’d shoot for a single 6s pack 50c+ totally up to you ofcourse. There’s definitely info on here that will give you correct answer. I use “100c” packs.

Awesome rig! Looking forward to the build, good parts selection👌. Lot of exbs being worked on is giving me motivation to get mine going!!

Will 35C batteries be ok for this motor, esc combo? These are the batteries I used on the Axial Yeti XL, so would be good if I don’t have to buy another set.
That.....is a subject of discussion.....

many c ratings are not even close to being accurate.....look up on the search function about c rating tests.. you can give it a try with the batteries you have, but in the future, for bashers, try for a higher c rating. In the real world, hardly any battery has a true sea rating of much more than 40 or 45, if it says 120c on the battery......

Will they work? Absolutely

I ran 6S on the Axial Yeti XL and that was a 50 mph basher, which was more like 1:6 than the 1:8 it stated. These Overlander batteries barely got warm after a 20 minute run. I hope that the EZRun 4985 and Max6 ESC should be a step above what I was using in the Yeti (Sensored Tekin RX8 Gen2 Esc and T8Gen2 motor 2000kv). I was torn between the Outcast 8s EXB and this one. In the end I went for the Mojave, as I think the look of the car is more unique. However, the main reason was storage space as the Outcast is just so flippin' wide and the box is mahoosive. I just hope I won't be disappointed with another 6s car, rather than going to 8s.
As a result I couldn't resist a bid for a brand new one of these, still in the wrapper -

IMG_1030.jpg

It is absolutely massive and probably too much for the Mojave transmission, but I got it cheap and I can always use it my next RC car (which will definitely be 8S!).
Are any of the Banggood batteries any good? I've heard mixed reviews on batteries like this -
Banggood Zop

That's enough rambling for now I think.

Back to the build, I have the pinion gears now and I should be getting a 25T servo arm (cheap one from Amazon to get things going) and M4 motor bolts should be coming tomorrow, so I can get the motor mounted and get the pinion/spur gap setup. Hopefully there will be nothing stopping me from installing the Esc as well.

Ok, so quick update. Not much done today.
Started off removing the plastic side wall for easy access.
83B68CF1-B33D-4FE6-ACA9-E25A966F0D0F.jpeg

Started off with the motor mount. Used a bit of blue thread lock to help keep things attached.
The mount only has 2 holes, the motor instructions say to use all 4 mounting points on the motor. Oh well, it will have to do. These are just standard steel M4x12 bolts.
You can see the new, cheap, servo arm from Amazon as well, which fits nicely onto the servo.

038BF463-B907-46F9-B7AD-484F72028856.jpeg

Next, mount the motor in a do a preliminary fit. The gearing sounds a bit graunchy, so I might clean out the gears in case there is machining crap left in there.

5F317C8F-FB66-47D5-9960-06392D545A71.jpeg

Then I move onto the ESC, but after placing it into position, the pre-installed motor wires are just too short. Either I cut and extend, or buy some more of these bullet connectors and make an extension wire. I think I’d rather keep the warranty so another order and another delay. I did say it would be a slow build!

08760C09-6093-4DBC-AE52-06F0E4A9D5B4.jpeg

The ESC doesn’t seem to have any mounting holes. Can any Max6 ESC owners out there confirm that the sticky pad it comes with is it?

Thanks,

The max6 has 4 holes on the bottom and also comes with the double sided tape…. I use both… tape for cushion and also the 4 screws…. Also, the motor wires should reach if the wires came out the top…. I have the M2C esc mount so I am it sure if that moves it forward at all. But mine reaches, no problem…

I saw those holes but they didn’t look threaded to me. Presumably I just drill out the ESC mounting plate?

What advantages does a M2C ESC mount give you?

Can I also say that this has to be one of the friendliest forums I’ve ever posted on! Normally, it’s “you haven’t posted your question in the right format”, or “are you incapable of using search, the answer is obviously here”, or half a dozen other vague petty forum responses.
Here it is just so welcoming. Thanks everyone.

Very cool build I am excited to se your finished truck. I do love the Mojave I’ve got a fairly customized one myself but it took a while to get it there. I had the V1 Mojave rtr. This is a great forum with a lot of experience and good people. It’s great to see a new member already with a build project 🤝

Shoe goo plus drywall for the body. Is it worth the time and effort, or are there simpler quicker solutions?

The m2c mount will move the esc back towards the motor, you will also have to clock the motor so wires are facing up as mentioned.

I did the shoe goo around thefront, rear end, wheel wells along with the body mount areas. To mount the esc make a template out of a piece of clear plastic (leftover rc body piece works good) and transfer the holes to the stock esc plate. Keep it pretty close to the motor as you can get but still be able to remove your pinion and not crowd the servo in front. Another thing you might consider is the scorched rc fender kit. It is amazing at keeping debri and water out of the chassis. Depending on where you are running the chassis tub fills up with everything...

Scorched RC fender kit - check. Another item on the "to buy" list.
I have also ordered a RadicalRC bash bar. Got to protect the expensive aluminium chassis!
I'll be away for a few days, so unless I get something done tonight, there won't be much progress for a bit.

I ran my mojo one time and decided I wasn’t running it again until I got the fenders. We were at a construction site and it was a mess. My setup is similar to yours but a 4585 1580kv motor and the firma 160a esc. It’s crazy fast almost always on the edge of being out of control.
At this point I don’t see a need for a stronger chassis or towers for what I’m doing, bash bar is probably a good idea if you’re going to really send it. It might make it handle a little stiffer though. One of the mojo differences compared to the other 6s bashers I have is the flex and super plush suspension.

After being away for a bit, I’m now back home for the Christmas break. Naturally I gravitated towards carrying on with the Mojave build.
First task is securing the ESC. I settled on drilled out the mount and securing the esc with 2 m3 bolts and some of the supplier 3M tape.
F1D790D0-FA6B-4056-9838-24A8105A1A6E.jpeg

I started off measuring the holes on the esc as best I could and transferring those holes to the esc plate. I could only drill through for the 2 front holes, but I think that’s ok.
42BFC10E-4F8C-4D95-88A3-94385D82F9B7.jpeg
I should have made a little wooden support block to hold the plastic firmly, but I didn’t and one hole drifted slightly.
49582BBC-9D9D-4A46-97D4-5651EE8E8FC4.jpeg

Whilst the wires were just long enough, I thought they looked a bit stressed, so I made some extensions, using the same 6.5mm bullet connectors.
F104B078-8FDD-40AA-87C7-CFD0DE1AB5B7.jpeg

I then routed each wire down the side of the motor, which should be out of the way.
3530AF5C-CC0A-40BC-903E-312C9B5E3BB1.jpeg

A few cables ties and black heat shrink and I’m reasonably happy with the results.
The next day I did the receiver and servo work.

8B0794D9-2E39-4E2F-850E-B5C301264A3D.jpeg

The servo dropped in pretty easily, but I had to take the whole servo mount out to get the wires in properly and there were so many bolts to undo!
I haven’t aligned the wheels, or set the toe in yet, so that is still to come.
Then it was routed all the cables to the receiver, which was pretty straightforward, although again I had to unscrew all 700 bolts on the entire receiver/battery bracket assembly, to get access to the holes for the wires.

14C33941-F214-455D-9DFF-8DC68DB4FE8B.jpeg

Again I just used a cable tie to hold the servo and BEC wires in place, routed under the driveshaft.
Last part was the ESC battery cables. I hooked up the XT90s connector. As I’m going to build a 2 x 3S battery pack for now, I still need to create the 2 to 1 series connector wire.

F3D543B4-61D5-48C1-9F93-2B941A1AF8A0.jpeg

Hopefully, I’ll do that before Christmas and test out the motor and steering for the first time.
I’ll try for a video on the 1st test power up.
You can probably see the radical RC bash bar under the chassis. Seems pretty solid! I’ll attach that soon as well.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back