Mojave Mojave exb diff issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sure hope so, my EXB will be here Monday. Been thinking of getting a lockup just incase my rear diff goes South too.

I sure hope so, my EXB will be here Monday. Been thinking of getting a lockup just incase my rear diff goes South too.

OP blew up the front diff. Nobody here has previously reported any issues with the front diffs - only the open rears. And from the pictures posted it looks like the factory screwed up the diff build by leaving out a plate.

You seem to be missing a piece. There should be another star plate.
Yeah it was still in the cup this is everything that’s in it here

image.jpg

Yeah it was still in the cup this is everything that’s in it here

That’s correct. Are those shims pretty flat or dished?

I’ve seen a front diff do that when a buddy of mine was doing donuts and let one front wheel diff out at high throttle. He ate a few diffs until he learned to back off the throttle when one front wheel was shaped like a pizza cutter.

I had a front diff issue today. Similar symptoms. It was super locked up. Opened it up, saw no damage, put everything back together, works again. But I think shims again, (per kraton exb) are the answer. Also, there are two ways to assemble the diff, one for less lsd action, and the way it comes from the factory, more lsd action.
I think the middle round ring (sandwiched by the star rings from the factory), is slipping off the sun aka side gear due to poor tolerance in the diff case or gears. So, rebuilding per the less lsd action will maintain 2 star rings keeping the round ring from slipping off the sun or side gear. See green circled area in attached photo. Shims of course should solve the issue appropriately. Of course, I figured this out after putting mine back together in the factory arrangement for more lsd action without shims (don't have any).

IMG_20210117_185343.jpg

fb_img_1599034104784_73cfddf302d553714510900037e1e654c1d05a30~2.jpg

Last edited:
Are those shims pretty flat or dished?

Not sure and maybe it's just the wear from the pin but it looks to me like those shims are dished which would make perfect sense of course if so.

You should get the 12x18 shims instead of the 13x16. They support the sun gear perfectly. Arrma sells them now.

View attachment 120575
Do we have any "shimming" threads? Specifically for the 6s diffs on my Senton? Not sure if its the same as EXB but im about to service all 3 of my diffs and top up with 1m oil.

Do we have any "shimming" threads? Specifically for the 6s diffs on my Senton? Not sure if its the same as EXB but im about to service all 3 of my diffs and top up with 1m oil.
Lots of them. The Thomas P and Rich videos will help too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back