Mojave Mojave EXB - More suspension travel - Mamba Monster 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the Mojave exb manual.
https://www.arrma-rc.com/pdf/manuals/ARB200030230.pdf

I am just an idiot and misread your first post in my half asleep response. My apologies. The Mojave exb and the blx both have the same callout for 550cst. I honestly feel like this is a little light especially for anyone running a heavier combo like the max 6. I’m thinking of upping the rear to 60wt and front to 50wt as I am one of those people running the heavier combo.

No, I'm the idiot apparently, with vision and acuity failing more than I thought. It's in my EXB manual now that I've looked again, too much looking at text and specs, so cross-eyed I can't even read my own paper manual. I'm really sorry for littering the thread with my senility and confusing both of us. Ok, where's my meds...

Yes, I agree on the oil weight being on the light side but just starting to learn about different valving and spring options. Cheers and I'll be more careful in the future. :)

Last edited:
No, I'm the idiot apparently, with vision and acuity failing more than I thought. It's in my EXB manual now that I've looked again, too much looking at text and specs, so cross-eyed I can't even read my own paper manual. I'm really sorry for ittering the thread with my senility and confusing both of us. Ok, where's my meds...
All good brother ✌??? Now we’re both squared away. ?

There's some pretty nice 95mm 5+ lb/in springs that I'd like to try, etc. among other things
I am very interested in what you will find ! ? ? (y) Keep us posted ! :)
Keep in mind that the droop screws, length of the cvd and depth of the cups will be the limiting factor.

I am very interested in what you will find ! ? ? (y) Keep us posted ! :)
Keep in mind that the droop screws, length of the cvd and depth of the cups will be the limiting factor.

Thanks for mentioning that but that's one detail I was able to find on droop screws and CVD binding. The springs are 15mm shorter than "stock" from what I can assertain but almost twice as stiff. I don't think stance would change a heck of a lot but have no idea at this point.

I'm just looking for less compression mostly. In my addled n00b mind, trying to imagine this in combination with heavier-than-stock diff oil weights improving traction and keeping all four wheels on the ground. Not looking for AWD but more balanced "contact" if that makes any sense. Maybe I'm delusional, not sure. Have to do a bunch of driving. This is down the road for me, just got started with the cars but I do have the springs in hand and they are stout, maybe too stout. :) Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks for mentioning that but that's one detail I was able to find on droop screws and CVD binding. The springs are 15mm shorter than "stock" from what I can assertain but almost twice as stiff. I don't think stance would change a heck of a lot but have no idea at this point.

I'm just looking for less compression mostly. In my addled n00b mind, trying to imagine this in combination with heavier-than-stock diff oil weights improving traction and keeping all four wheels on the ground. Not looking for AWD but more balanced "contact" if that makes any sense. Maybe I'm delusional, not sure. Have to do a bunch of driving. This is down the road for me, just got started with the cars but I do have the springs in hand and they are stout, maybe too stout. :) Cheers

I expected you were doing this for jumps. Generally speaking, stiffer suspension gives you quicker turn response but worse "contact". If you put too stiff a set of springs it will bounce instead of the suspension following the terrain. What terrain are you running on now and what is the handling issue you are trying to correct? Generally speaking Arrma has well designed suspension for a vehicle that will handle very well off road at the weight it was designed for. If you put much more battery and motor in it and more weight you may have to increase springs and damping, but otherwise you should be fine.

This is the Mojave exb manual.
https://www.arrma-rc.com/pdf/manuals/ARB200030230.pdf

I am just an idiot and misread your first post in my half asleep response. My apologies. The Mojave exb and the blx both have the same callout for 550cst. I honestly feel like this is a little light especially for anyone running a heavier combo like the max 6. I’m thinking of upping the rear to 60wt and front to 50wt as I am one of those people running the heavier combo.
I would watch over dampening the shock pack on the Mojave. Its shock angles are somewhat less progressive versus the Kraton EXB , even with its newer upright rear shock tower.. With added weight I would try to use stiffer springs instead. Leave the oil stock for now... The Mojave handles nice and very plush with the lighter 550cst all around. The longer Mojave EXB/ RTR chassis needs a plusher setup traction wise with smaller diameter wheels. Just me. ?‍♂️

I would watch over dampening the shock pack on the Mojave. Its shock angles are somewhat less progressive versus the Kraton EXB , even with its newer upright rear shock tower.. With added weight I would try to use stiffer springs instead. Leave the oil stock for now... The Mojave handles nice and very plush with the lighter 550cst all around. The longer Mojave EXB/ RTR chassis needs a plusher setup traction wise with smaller diameter wheels. Just me. ?‍♂️
Certainly un-sprung weight is a key factor in damping rates. The Mojave having lighter wheels and tires than a monster truck means much lower forces the shock has to deal with on rough terrain. If your goal is more travel and better traction you need to go with springs that are softer and/or more your shock mount positions to maximize the lean angle of the shocks, essentially giving greater leverage against the spring and a lower spring rate in the early part of the travel. Longer and softer springs are the way to go. In terms of damping oil I would stay with stock and only mess with it if you have a handling problem. If you do want to change the handling I would test lighter before heavier shock oil/damping. You want long and plush with significant "sag" - meaning no preload. Wind those spring retainer collars up to the top if you can without it dragging on the ground. When your wheels hit a depression or a hole you want the shocks to extend quickly and easily.

If you stiffen everything up you will get LESS travel and a much more rigid ride. You would normally only go harder if you were moving to smooth terrain with few bumps and you wanted much faster turn initiation when you move the steering.

Sometimes if your rig is a tad heavier, you can get away with adjusting the shock spring preload collars.
But lets face it, if you add substantial weight to any rig, it will drive different than stock. Don't expect to be able to compensate much for the added weight. The mass(size of rig) to weight ratio alone has changed substantially.:cool:

Thanks you all for your advices.
So as far as I can understand your reactions, loosing droop screws and finding a way to have more travel (longer shocks/different attach points) will not come with CVD length problems ?

Can anyone recommend the best shock/spring and oil/cst combo for a heavy EXB Mojave set up running max6 1650 and x2 big batteries plus fans and 2s bat.

The mojave is currently sitting on the rear end, i have previously tightend the shocks up considerably but now the shocks have now gone and need fixing....

Also can anyone recommend the best diff oil set up for a heavy rig.

Thanks guys

Can anyone recommend the best shock/spring and oil/cst combo for a heavy EXB Mojave set up running max6 1650 and x2 big batteries plus fans and 2s bat.

The mojave is currently sitting on the rear end, i have previously tightend the shocks up considerably but now the shocks have now gone and need fixing....

Thanks guys

If it is significantly heavier than stock you will need stiffer springs to compensate and thicker shock oil to damp it. What does a stock RTR Mojave weigh and what does yours weight?

The Mojave is designed to have a lot of travel in the rear to give it that scale look, so I would expect you will need to go a bit stiffer with spring if you have added weight and a step up in shock oil weight to match.

If it is significantly heavier than stock you will need stiffer springs to compensate and thicker shock oil to damp it. What does a stock RTR Mojave weigh and what does yours weight?

The Mojave is designed to have a lot of travel in the rear to give it that scale look, so I would expect you will need to go a bit stiffer with spring if you have added weight and a step up in shock oil weight to match.
Does anyone know anywhere/best place for heavier than stock springs?

Unfortunately none of those are heavy enough to what i am looking for, but i did manage to source the following so will update later when they arrive on how good a fit they are.
Spring Rates.jpg

Thanks guys
Sorry to say but most of the time these kind of questions are trial and error imho, listening too much to others opinions on what they think you should do can lead to more expense and chasing your tail, there is no golden formula.
Shocks and springs can be a very varied subject depending on a lot of factors. Adding too much preload to soft springs will just kill your shock no matter what oil you put in it.
If your rig is heavier like you are stating then you more than like need to increase the spring weight (springs deal with vehicle weight, oil deals with speed of travel of the load) ideally for most off road applications (MX, Downhill MTB etc general sag tends to be about 25% of your suspension travel to allow for some negative movement) you can achieve this by adjusting your preload(but this should only be to TWEEK your ride height) as said before doing this with too soft of a spring will give you a false impression of what you think you are looking for.
It might take a bit of messing about but to achieve what you are looking for increase spring rate 1st to get the general feel of what you require, you will more than like start to find the vehicle then bounces when when landing/dropping this is the time to then change the oil/flow of the shocks.

Take a look at the post just above for some springs I have managed to locate, I haven't received them yet so not 100% sure if they will be too heavy or not.(wrong thread i know but these are for my Kraton EXB, but the same principles apply) do a bit of homework and measure/look up sizes and weights of existing springs/shocks. leave oil till you are in the right ball park before messing with it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back