Mojave Mojave EXB pinion choice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BashingBrian

#ArrmaAddict #RCwhore
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Outcast 8s
  4. Outcast EXB
  5. Talion EXB
  6. Typhon 6s
I'm about to swap power plants in my EXB from a Max6/Rocket combo to a Castle MMX8s/1717-1650kv. :cool:
I know I can use a gear calc to figure it out, and I think I know what size I'm going to use, just wondered what others use on theirs.??
This will be a no extra fans setup, as I hate replacing fans all the time.. :ROFLMAO:

(y)

I'm about to swap power plants in my EXB from a Max6/Rocket combo to a Castle MMX8s/1717-1650kv. :cool:
I know I can use a gear calc to figure it out, and I think I know what size I'm going to use, just wondered what others use on theirs.??
This will be a no extra fans setup, as I hate replacing fans all the time.. :ROFLMAO:

(y)
I run a 22T on my hobbywing 1650 combo 🤷🏻‍♂️ The thing RIPS!

car f1 GIF

(y)
Can't recommend a pinion, but I agree, fans suck, especially replacing them routinely!!
What kv is the rocket?
Just curious.. how come I never see Duperbash or RCDUDE 81 rocking any Castle products?

🤣🤣🤣 that’s literally all it does at any speed @Sandracer_NL will be dropping down after my off road speed run attempts
With 21/50 and a low punch setting the front tires lifted offroad with full lipo’s on full power. After installing a front windshield it stayed way more planted👍. I can imagine 25/46 wants to wheelie a lot🤣.

That’s what I need to do next! I remember you suggesting one a while ago when I first built the truck. That would deff cut down on the lifting 😂 @Sandracer_NL
Maybe one of my old street bike visors might work 🤔
I used a 0.75mm ploycarbonate sheet, which is strong and quite flexible but can be cut with scissors. Measure the window, cut it, drill 4 small holes to attach it to the roll cage with tie wraps and DONE!👍

1100kv and it's geared 30/50T

I believe it's because the Castle esc's can't take the sort of abuse that those two guys dish out :unsure: ;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Sounds like 20t would be a good start?
As far as the YT guys not using the Castle, I just wondered..no experience with Castle myself, just seems like Rich and Eric are always cramming as much power in as possible.
I hear tons of good stuff about Castle in the forums..
Maybe it's just as simple as getting freebies from the other companies but not Castle? Idk.
@BashingBrian Good luck! Give that girl plenty of birthing room!!😁🤘🍻

Id be cooking dinner on the motor with the pinions suggested here, if running with no fans. No such thing as driving an Arrma 6S rig like the Mojave or Kraton without a fan for me. Im mostly driving like I just robbed a bank.

I think the mentioned youtubers just tend to use some of the cheapest high powered electronics they can buy to get big air. If it gets the car flying high, and then getting views they have achieved their goal. Which kinda makes sense, because if you are sending the rig as high and far as possible quite often, everything can and will break eventually. Might as well use cheaper motors/ESCs/servos that gets the job done. Usually when those guys have expensive stuff on their rigs, it`s sponsored. Can`t blame them really.
Castle fan mount (mmx8s) would break with some of those huge sends and crashes so time and money saved on for example 3d printed fan mount.

I don't prefer Castle because of power, for bashing they have essentially the same power-level as an equivalent Hobbywing system, but at a higher price. I prefer Castle because of all the nice features.
-Aux wire which can be set up for a bunch of stuff (Adjustable power on the radio. :love: I`ve tried to "emulate" this with Hobbywing ESC and limiting throttle end point on the Radio but the ESC does not like it. )
-Much smoother even with non sensored motors compared to Hobbywing (talking mainly about low speed from a standstill)
-Supports sensored motors. SUPER smooth at any low speed.
-Adjustable temperature cut off for motor (assuming its activated and combined with a sensored motor)
-Datalogging
-Usually lower weight ESCs for comparable/similar performance (Max6 vs mmx8S or Max 8 vs mmx)
-8V BEC (7,4v max on most Hobbywing ESCs made for bashing )
-Audible beeps/warnings for a bunch of things
-2-8S compatible ESC AND motor combos (Extra bonus, can also be combined with 1520 motor. Still great performance but a bit lighter than 1717/HW4985.)
-Automatic voltage detection on all cell counts as far as I know (at least it will detect 7S. Which a Max 6 will not. You can`t even set those manually for 5 and 7S)
-Generally better power for speed running if you get into that (As far as I know/have seen. No personal experience.)
-If you run a setup with no motor fan. The setup is completely silent a lot of the time since ESC fan is temperature controlled which I think can be really nice. (Side note: mmx8s not compatible with a high powered aftermarket 0,5A+ fan on that connector.)
-A bunch of customizable features when connected to a computer (Too many to mention. Most may not be of importance, but its nice to have options.)

To some this is just a list of useless stuff. If so, no point in spending the extra $ IMO. To others, like myself, I can really appreciate some of these features and I think it`s worth a bit extra. I prefer to be as cheap as possible without compromising much on quality, that is why I bought Max5 and Max 6 before trying Castle. No need to overspend if the cheaper stuff does the job. Later I realized you actually do get quite a bit extra for that extra $. Currently I have a Max6 and Max5 just sitting here and collecting dust, replaced by Castle ESCs/combos.
In the US the price difference up to a Castle system is not that much IMO. Also for the US guys. Castle - Murica! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Id be cooking dinner on the motor with the pinions suggested here. No such thing as driving an Arrma 6S rig like the Mojave or Kraton without a fan for me. Im mostly driving like I just robbed a bank, no time to stop and be easy to the accelerator.

I think the mentioned youtubers just tend to use some of the cheapest high powered electronics they can buy to get big air. If it gets the car flying high, and then getting views they have achieved their goal. Which kinda makes sense, because if you are sending the rig as high and far as possible quite often, everything can and will break eventually. Might as well use cheaper motors/ESCs/servos that gets the job done. Usually when those guys have expensive stuff on their rigs, it`s sponsored. Can`t blame them really.
Castle fan mount (mmx8s) would break with some of those huge sends and crashes so time and money saved on for example 3d printed fan mount.

I don't prefer Castle because of power, for bashing they have essentially the same power-level as an equivalent Hobbywing system, but at a higher price. I prefer Castle because of all the nice features.
-Aux wire which can be set up for a bunch of stuff (Adjustable power on the radio. :love: I`ve tried to "emulate" this with Hobbywing ESC and limiting throttle end point on the Radio but the ESC does not like it. )
-Much smoother even with non sensored motors compared to Hobbywing (talking mainly about low speed from a standstill)
-Supports sensored motors. SUPER smooth at any low speed.
-Adjustable temperature cut off for motor (assuming its activated and combined with a sensored motor)
-Datalogging
-Usually lower weight ESCs for comparable/similar performance (Max6 vs mmx8S or Max 8 vs mmx)
-8V BEC (7,4v max on most Hobbywing ESCs made for bashing )
-Audible beeps/warnings for a bunch of things
-2-8S compatible ESC AND motor combos (Extra bonus, can also be combined with 1520 motor. Still great performance but a bit lighter than 1717/HW4985.)
-Automatic voltage detection on all cell counts as far as I know (at least it will detect 7S. Which a Max 6 will not. You can`t even set those manually for 5 and 7S)
-Generally better power for speed running if you get into that (As far as I know/have seen. No personal experience.)
-If you run a setup with no motor fan. The setup is completely silent a lot of the time since ESC fan is temperature controlled which I think can be really nice. (Mmx8s not compatible with a high powered aftermarket 0,5A+ fan on that connector.)
-A bunch of customizable features when connected to a computer (Too many to mention. Most may not be of importance, but its nice to have options.)

To some this is just a list of useless stuff. If so, no point in spending the extra $. To others, like myself, I can really appreciate some of these features and I think it`s worth a bit extra. I prefer to be as cheap as possible without compromising much on quality, that is why I bought Max5 and Max 6 before trying Castle. No need to overspend if the cheaper stuff does the job. Later I realized you actually do get quite a bit extra for that extra $. Currently I have a Max6 and Max5 just sitting here and collecting dust, replaced by Castle ESCs/combos.
In the US the price difference up to a Castle system is not that much IMO. Also for the US guys. Castle - Murica! :ROFLMAO:
Well said, some great points you've made. Not gonna lie, I don't feel the need for any Castle stuff. Just nothing worth the extra for me..well, except Murica! of course,LOL.

Sweet.
Keep an eye on temps if you still plan on running it without fans.
In case you have not done it, I would activate the motor temp warning @180f/82c and run it sensored. It's a nice backup to have. That feature should have been activated by default IMO.

Without fans I’d start 20T and watch the temps. FYI a 21T should get you around 60mph.
I recommend a front windshield; that helps a lot with keeping the front more on the ground.👍
Yes absolutely a windshield makes a big difference at speeds approaching 50+ mph.
I could never do without it now.
I was probably the first to do it and suggest this idea on AF when I got my V1 Mojo. when released.
Way ahead of the many Mojo YT'ers out there promoting this mod now.:LOL:

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back