Mojave Mojave EXB Speed Run Build Sheet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can do it :)
Gonna need mo powa

youtube mix GIF

Ok, this is going to be long winded, but I am noting these details for my future reference, so please skip this if you don't want a deep dive into speed runs.

Went out today to test my Mojave with two different sets of CNHL packs. I have the following packs:

Set A:
1626715309884.png

Set B:
1626715380114.png

Both are running QS8 connectors. Both sets were freshly topped off before these two test runs. Both runs were the exact same car, exact same road, same day, back to back after a cool down, and even more importantly, using the Flysky Noble NB4 CH Speed feature to get the same smooth throttle pull. I used a 7.0S setting for both passes. This seems like the minimum I can run on the stretch of road I was running on today.

Here is the log for the Set A run:
Mojave EXB 129mph.jpg

Here is the log for the Set B run:
Mojave EXB 131mph.jpg

As you can see I picked up 2mph using the 70C packs over the 90C packs. There was a difference of:

ValueSet ASet B
Min Voltage24.9 V25.5 V
Max Ripple1.19 V1.12 V
Max Current478.0 A502.4 A
RPM21,954 RPM22,436 RPM
ESC Temp136.4 F129.2 F
Motor Temp125.4 F115.2 F
Max Speed129 MPH131 MPH

Now what I need to test is a parallel 8S setup using 4 x the Set B packs. I have another set on the way to test this. Reason being this gearing setup should produce more closely to 150mph in a perfect world. The voltage sags above are costing me RPMs on the big end.

IMG_1488.PNG

Feel free to give any input you may have. I feel like this is the end of the road gearing wise for this setup. I will attempt the parallel 8S setup using this same setup and road to see what gains can be made. There will be a weight trade off, but I think we should pick up some speed and am hoping to get above 140mph.

Ok, this is going to be long winded, but I am noting these details for my future reference, so please skip this if you don't want a deep dive into speed runs.

Went out today to test my Mojave with two different sets of CNHL packs. I have the following packs:

Set A:
View attachment 159037

Set B:
View attachment 159038

Both are running QS8 connectors. Both sets were freshly topped off before these two test runs. Both runs were the exact same car, exact same road, same day, back to back after a cool down, and even more importantly, using the Flysky Noble NB4 CH Speed feature to get the same smooth throttle pull. I used a 7.0S setting for both passes. This seems like the minimum I can run on the stretch of road I was running on today.

View attachment 159039

View attachment 159040

As you can see I picked up 2mph using the 70C packs over the 90C packs. There was a difference of:

ValueSet ASet B
Min Voltage24.9 V25.5 V
Max Ripple1.19 V1.12 V
RPM21,954 RPM22,436 RPM
ESC Temp136.4 F129.2 F
Motor Temp125.4 F115.2 F
Max Speed129 MPH131 MPH

Now what I need to test is a parallel 8S setup using 4 x the Set B packs. I have another set on the way to test this. Reason being this gearing setup should produce more closely to 150mph in a perfect world. The voltage sags above are costing me RPMs on the big end.

View attachment 159045

Feel free to give any input you may have. I feel like this is the end of the road gearing wise for this setup. I will attempt the parallel 8S setup using this same setup and road to see what gains can be made. There will be a weight trade off, but I think we should pick up some speed and am hoping to get above 140mph.
Looks like a good setup for comparison. Were both sets of packs "broken in" for lack of a better term?

Set A:

Set B:

ValueSet ASet B
Min Voltage24.9 V25.5 V
Max Ripple1.19 V1.12 V
RPM21,954 RPM22,436 RPM
ESC Temp136.4 F129.2 F
Motor Temp125.4 F115.2 F
Max Speed129 MPH131 MPH

I had an long call with James over the weekend to catch up on things and talk about some ideas I had (he is currently running 182mph last I checked).
One of the things we discussed was CNHL batteries. In simple words he said those batteries are junk. I mentioned to him that I believe the 70c are stronger than the 90c, to which he replied "Oh, absolutely". We then talked about vendors and sponsors..... He said he only does manufacturer testing if they are 100% ok with him being bluntly honest and not pushing their product if he thinks it is junk.

SMC is supposed to release their new line soon and that is where I would put my money.

@jondilly1974 I would be curious to see a comparison with the YoWoo packs also. Do you have those in 4s?

Last edited:
Looks like a good setup for comparison. Were both sets of packs "broken in" for lack of a better term?
Yes both have been run many times and stay very well balanced. Never have they drifted more than .01v per cell.
I had an long call with James over the weekend to catch up on things and talk about some ideas I had (he is currently running 182mph last I checked).
One of the things we discussed was CNHL batteries. In simple words he said those batteries are junk. I mentioned that I believe the 70c are stronger than the 90c, to which he replied "Oh, absolutely". We then talked about vendors and sponsors to which he said he only does manufacturer testing if they are ok with him being bluntly honest and not pushing their product if he thinks its junk.

SMC is supposed to release their new line soon and that is where I would put my money.

@jondilly1974 I would be curious to see a comparison with the YoWoo packs also. Do you have those in 4s?
Yes I have the Yowoo Graphene 4S 6000mah and they are very good for the price, but not as strong as the CNHL 90C, let alone the 70C. I can run them next and test them out with the same setup and see what we get. My best guess would be about 127ish.

Yes both have been run many times and stay very well balanced. Never have they drifted more than .01v per cell.

Yes I have the Yowoo Graphene 4S 6000mah and they are very good for the price, but not as strong as the CNHL 90C, let alone the 70C. I can run them next and test them out with the same setup and see what we get. My best guess would be about 127ish.
Thanks that is good to know. No need to test if you already know it is weaker...
Parallel 70c packs will be interesting to see.

Thanks that is good to know. No need to test if you already know it is weaker...
Parallel 70c packs will be interesting to see.
They are supposedly shipping from GA today. I am pretty sure I am safe to run them with my existing set as long as I have one old and one new on each side of the series, right?

Side A 4S Parallel, one old + one new
Side B 4S Parallel, one old + one new

They are supposedly shipping from GA today. I am pretty sure I am safe to run them with my existing set as long as I have one old and one new on each side of the series, right?

Side A 4S Parallel, one old + one new
Side B 4S Parallel, one old + one new
I don't see any issues with that...

Here is some data from todays tests, video will follow after the upload.

1 CNHL 5200mah 90C 122mph.jpg
2 Yowoo 6000mah 100C 124mph.jpg
3 CNHL 9500mah 90C 123mph.jpg
4 CNHL 6000mah 70C 126mph.jpg
5 CNHL 6000mah 70C 127mph.jpg
6 CNHL 6000mah 70C 125mph.jpg

Last edited:
Damn.. something told me to buy the 70c’s

just bought the 9500mAh 90c 6S

trying to get over the 100mph right now, without crashing.
It’s only a few mph difference and won’t stop you from getting to 100mph. It’s only critical when pushing the absolute bounds of speed.

It’s only a few mph difference and won’t stop you from getting to 100mph. It’s only critical when pushing the absolute bounds of speed.

I’m currently at 97mph on 6S on 86% power output. Need to figure out why I’m not reaching that 100% (probably due to space)

30/34 gearing and GP5 diffs

just put in ceramic bearings and 1million wt in the rear. The front has a diff locker.

I’m currently at 97mph on 6S on 86% power output. Need to figure out why I’m not reaching that 100% (probably due to space)

30/34 gearing and GP5 diffs

just put in ceramic bearings and 1million wt in the rear. The front has a diff locker.
Do you have logs and your GPS data?

Yep that’s a really short run. You need to take your time getting up to speed. My runs are usually at least 3000ft. But a good run usually takes 4000ft.

gotta find a spot big enough.. it’s hard in Los Angeles. I might be able to get a spot atleast a 1/4 in each direction.

After a few people mentioned this as well as seeing the video from @rcspeedrundubai recently, I decided to wrap the spare set of M3 GRPs that I was using for drag hits on the Kraton. They are a little more worn than the XP1s that blew yesterday, but they are getting called up for speed run service. Let’s hope they hold up. I ran to WallyWorld this morning and grabbed a spool of 65lb braided fishing line. Used BSI IC-2000 glue to hold it all in place. Glued every inch. Wrapped as tightly as my hands would allow. Waiting for the glue to cure so I can balance them again.

541EDF4A-BC0A-4D59-B737-F44B9B1DE3A9.jpeg

Always been curious what would do better between Kevlar line and fishing line...
One thought I had is that the Kevlar would likely absorb some of the BSI IC-2000 glue.

I had used Kevlar string on some offroad tires for the X-Maxx speed runs. It eventually frayed /tore but those tires didn't have a deep v-grove like these GRP do.

I noticed the line you bought is spectra fiber (gel-spun polyethylene) I suspect it may have good absorption also.

Always been curious what would do better between Kevlar line and fishing line...
One thought I had is that the Kevlar would likely absorb some of the BSI IC-2000 glue.

I had used Kevlar string on some offroad tires for the X-Maxx speed runs. It eventually frayed /tore but those tires didn't have a deep v-grove like these GRP do.

I noticed the line you bought is spectra fiber (gel-spun polyethylene) I suspect it may have good absorption also.
It seems pretty tough. It wasn’t easy to cut. We will see.

Cool stuff buddy @jondilly1974, it can indeed help and prolong the lifetime of GRP. I haven't tried kevlar string, but so far the fishing wire is holding up. Nasty with the finger too when you are pulling it a bit tight hehe be careful not to get paper cuts :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back