Mojave Mojave EXB with MAX8 Combo - ESC caught on Fire.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobs1811

Reaction score
Hi

Recently purchased an Arrma Mojave EXB with Hobbywing MAX8 Combo (month old from new)

current spec: Scorched RC Titanium Chassis, Full PPS motor and diff mount, Ludicrous high power servo. Currently using it with 16T pinion, Sanwa MX6 radio and Voltz 4800MAH 50c battery.

Made a previous post regarding Motor Heatsink/Fan recommendations for the motor. Decided I was just going to just swap out the Combo with a MAX6 and possibly 1250kv motor (already have them) but I ran the MAX8 Combo today just for a bit (around 5mins) and the ESC ended up catching on fire. The motor, lipo, servo seems to be working fine.

The MAX8 ESC combo is only a month old...anyone know if it would be covered under Hobbywing warranty service if I have the invoice/receipt?

I will probably replace the combo with a MAX6 ESC. Not sure if its fine to be running MAX6 esc with a 1250kv motor on 8s though as I have seen some MAX6 catching on fire with similar combo...so possibly I should only run that combo on 6s. I also have a MAX5 and Castle MAMBA XLX v1 with 2028-800KV 8s motor (not sure if this would be overkill though)?.. or possibly get a MMX8s.

gaadfgva4.jpeg

y5wywyaerg.jpeg

hsdfgh.jpeg

Last edited:
Cannot wait to see this beast in action! 🤩🤩
Me TOO!!!! I am out of town for work this week and my CRCU order finally arrived while I was gone. Long time coming.

Hi

Recently purchased an Arrma Mojave EXB with Hobbywing MAX8 Combo (month old from new)

current spec: Scorched RC Titanium Chassis, Full PPS motor and diff mount, Ludicrous high power servo. Currently using it with 16T pinion, Sanwa MX6 radio and Voltz 4800MAH 50c battery.

Made a previous post regarding Motor Heatsink/Fan recommendations for the motor. Decided I was just going to just swap out the Combo with a MAX6 and possibly 1250kv motor (already have them) but I ran the MAX8 Combo today just for a bit (around 5mins) and the ESC ended up catching on fire. The motor, lipo, servo seems to be working fine.

The MAX8 ESC combo is only a month old...anyone know if it would be covered under Hobbywing warranty service if I have the invoice/receipt?

I will probably replace the combo with a MAX6 ESC. Not sure if its fine to be running MAX6 esc with a 1250kv motor on 8s though as I have seen some MAX6 catching on fire with similar combo...so possibly I should only run that combo on 6s. I also have a MAX5 and Castle MAMBA XLX v1 with 2028-800KV 8s motor (not sure if this would be overkill though)?.. or possibly get a MMX8s.

View attachment 142888

View attachment 142889

View attachment 142890
That really is too bad.. I should think that would be covered! I love my max6 combo in my Mojave.. running a 22T and it’s an animal... I also swapped my shock fluid for 80wt and man I cannot be happier... absolute tank... I thought for sure I broke it so many times and came home to only broken body mounts... still functioning tho. 👍🏻👍🏻 I even got her to do backflips ! 🤣😂

That really is too bad.. I should think that would be covered! I love my max6 combo in my Mojave.. running a 22T and it’s an animal... I also swapped my shock fluid for 80wt and man I cannot be happier... absolute tank... I thought for sure I broke it so many times and came home to only broken body mounts... still functioning tho. 👍🏻👍🏻 I even got her to do backflips ! 🤣😂
I will contact Hobbywing. Which motor are you using with the max6? Do you have a heatsink/fan on the motor? Are you using Basherqueen ESC plate?

What ESC mount plate are you using?
I bought the Basherqueen ESC plate, but it didn’t line up perfectly with the XLX2 holes. I only have one screw in a hole and then VHB tape holding the rest. Not much else I could figure out at the time. You could do similar with the stock mount. I have the XLX2 in my Infraction on the stock mount too.

Which motor are you using with the max6? Do you have a heatsink/fan on the motor?
I am running it without a fan, I didn’t exceed 180 and I was going ballistic. Grass wasn’t exactly short either.. I thought it was going to get warmer than it did but I think the hottest I got the temp gun was like 173 after a full pack and grass was everywhere 🤣😂

Wondering if the cappack woulda saved max8.i installed the factory cappack on my max8,I think it said vehicles over so much weight needed the givin cappack.may void warranty not having it....run mine hard in mojave without any issues

Wondering if the cappack woulda saved max8.i installed the factory cappack on my max8,I think it said vehicles over so much weight needed the givin cappack.may void warranty not having it....run mine hard in mojave without any issues
Yep I installed the factory cap pack on my MAX8/2200 setup in my Typhon 6S

1FE68BD5-F0A5-42AB-808E-ADAD34C2EA2A.jpeg

I am running it without a fan, I didn’t exceed 180 and I was going ballistic. Grass wasn’t exactly short either.. I thought it was going to get warmer than it did but I think the hottest I got the temp gun was like 173 after a full pack and grass was everywhere 🤣😂
Which motor do you have in it, 1100Kv or 1650kv and which esc mount are you using?
Do you run on 8s or 6s? (y)

Sorry, I forgot to answer that from before... it’s the 1650kv setup.
ok(y)
Yeah was thinking of installing the cap pack it comes with but it was to late. :ROFLMAO::oops:

Last edited:
I would think the max8 a little small anyways in the mojave. May not have burned it up but that's a lot of truck for it to rip around. I'm running a max6/1650 combo at 24/46 and may bump it up to 26/46.

mojave8.jpg

mojave9.jpg

Back