Mojave Mojave Handling & Traction Roll

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
Does anyone feel that the Mojave doesn't handle very well? Or that it traction rolls very easily? Is it due to the super soft suspension? The tires (soft sidewalls)? I like to rip around in the dirt and it seems to roll a lot more than I would like to see. If anyone has messed with the suspension, please share your setup. Thanks!

Does anyone feel that the Mojave doesn't handle very well? Or that it traction rolls very easily? Is it due to the super soft suspension? The tires (soft sidewalls)? I like to rip around in the dirt and it seems to roll a lot more than I would like to see. If anyone has messed with the suspension, please share your setup. Thanks!

I find it to handle challenging but I like it like that. For me it keeps it different than the others. The soft suspension doesn't react as quick but honestly this is what I like.
The Katar can cause rolls quicker with the stock offset and tighter fit to the chassis.... At least for me. I still prefer the Katar but the stock tires aren't bad at all.
I thought about changing or tightening at first but decided to hang in there and keep it unique. After a while for me it became most fun and biggest laughs. It can get in a bind quick but so often comes out on it's feet when I stomp it and roll with it..
We'll see what happens next because I've had it off the ground for almost a month and want to do some stuff before I play again.
I really feel you could run it a few more times hard and it would grow.

I find it to handle challenging but I like it like that. For me it keeps it different than the others. The soft suspension doesn't react as quick but honestly this is what I like.
The Katar can cause rolls quicker with the stock offset and tighter fit to the chassis.... At least for me. I still prefer the Katar but the stock tires aren't bad at all.
I thought about changing or tightening at first but decided to hang in there and keep it unique. After a while for me it became most fun and biggest laughs. It can get in a bind quick but so often comes out on it's feet when I stomp it and roll with it..
We'll see what happens next because I've had it off the ground for almost a month and want to do some stuff before I play again.
I really feel you could run it a few more times hard and it would grow.
That's awesome that you welcome the challenge ??? While I don't expect it to handle like my Talion, Typhon or even Kraton, I would really like to tone down the excessive body roll. Most of the time I am bashing in my yard and while it may look big I'm video, the area I run in can be tight. I like to whip my trucks around and all of them will slide the back end out easily for a quick turnaround. The Mojave tends to just roll. It sort of reminds me of my Super Rock Rey.

I saw that @RC DUDE81 used the Talion Katars in one video, said he lived them, and then in the next video he was back on the stock tires. I also know you like the Katars so I may give them a shot. I'll set the droop to lower the COG and hopefully that will help.

Another thing I was thinking of was running Kraton stubs, hubs and hexes. This will provide a little wore width and that should help with the traction rolls as well. I'm sure someone has tried it, right? I'm also going to lower the pinion. All that speed isn't doing it any favors.

I don't hate the truck. I'm just looking to tweak the handling to better suit my needs. The nearest desert to me is halfway across the country ? I don't have a ton of construction sites so I'm trying to make it adapt to what I have available. I appreciate the input, Marc ???

The main issue of roll with the Mojave is simply the heavy body on top of soft suspension. If you run the truck with out a body, it handles 100% better! It's all in the design of what the truck was meant to be imo. I love how it's floaty and hovers over rough terrain! The handling I just just had to adapt my driving technique to keep her in line. Ed by adjusting the drop screws alone will help some! If you ad Kraton hubs, you'll probably end up having tire scubbage on the fenders unless you cut them out.? Mitch has a 2mm extended hex that should be available soon to keep the rims off the hubs. A lot of guys including myself under hard bashing are having the tires fly off and stripping out the hexs. The 2mm offset should be about perfect!?Some guys have went to Kraton/Outcast style Shock setups in the Mojave but to me, that defeats the purpose of the truck but to each is own! I did run Katars at one time and it did seem to handle a tad better but I just like the cool look of the desert truck!:love:Overall it's an amazing truck but just needs lots of room and nice dirt to get the effect of it's design! Sky's the limit with how you want to set it up! You could of course, stiffin the shocks, lower the truck/droop and make it a 1/7 scale short course truck or Senton basically. It would probably handle a lot better in tight places but sacrifice the smooth operation in large rough areas. I should be getting mine back this week from Mitch so can't wait to play around with it! Getting Mojave withdraws!:LOL:???

2mm extensions from M2C sounds like what I need as soon as possible. Cant wait. ??

I have some more video that I forgot about. I made it after I unglued the katars and I think it was more fun. Hopefully I'll whack it together tonight when I get home from work if it's worth anything.
I do understand what you mean about not being able to whip the back around now in small spaces and I experienced the traction roll a lot when I ran it first. I probably trained myself to slow down in turns but obviously this isn't ideal and probably takes some of the fun out of it. Maybe a slightly wider stance will help and I think the extensions will definitely help me on the katars. I like em so much I bought another full set last week for the Mojave. What I like is the ability to get wheelies and on wet pavement and grass I feel the stock tires have pretty poor traction.
My plan was to try an 18t pinion but I haven't put it on yet. I'm really motivated to get the Mojave back together now that you're running one and a couple other guys I watch have em. I have a few upgrades on hand and ready to go...just gotta do it.
Since I don't jump this truck, I even plan to wait before I buy the standard upgrade chassis braces and towers. We'll see. I do have a servo mount and a couple new servo choices to try, a pinion set to play with, Duke fan mounts, lower kv motor, MM2 esc, and PPS motor mount to get on. After that we'll see. I even thought about trying the Infraction gearing for fun and speed but haven't researched it much yet.

Do you think the backflip LPs would improve handling?
They might be too big.

And as it's been pointed out, the truck handles fine for what it was designed for. I guess I'm trying to fit a square peg into a round hole ? But that's half the fun of this hobby, amirite? ???

I think that the Mojave is the only truck that Arrma provide optional springs for (?). The stock is the softest option and you’ve got two levels of stiffer springs to go from there. The stiffer springs will reduce the roll considerably.

Stock is front 1.35N/mm rear 0.56N/mm.

You can go front 1.42N/MM rear 0.6N/MM
or front 1.5N/MM rear 0.63N/MM

You can also thicken the sway bars, Stock is 2.4, you can go 2.6 or 2.9.

Last edited:
They might be too big.

And as it's been pointed out, the truck handles fine for what it was designed for. I guess I'm trying to fit a square peg into a round hole ? But that's half the fun of this hobby, amirite? ???
Even the Katar rub on the front arms some. With the extensions should be ok there too.
I think that the Mojave is the only truck that Arrma provide optional springs for (?). The stock is the softest option and you’ve got two levels of stiffer springs to go from there. The stiffer springs will reduce the roll considerably.

I wasn't aware of these options but sure enough worth playing with. Thanks for posting.

I have kraton hubs and stubs/hexes on mine. I have had my Mojave set-up with kraton arms and a MT body with proline wheels and tires on it and it was fun but honestly I like the trophy truck style better. When I went back to a DT I left the kraton hubs and stubs with the hexes on the rear only. They still tuck in the fenders but do rub just a bit on the inside edge of the wells. you could trim like 1/8 off the fenders and they would work. They do not rub any mechanical components like the hubs, links or anything. Just the body....

edit : that was with the stock wheels, arms and tires.

But that's half the fun of this hobby, amirite? ???

That's exactly what I think. No right or wrong just whatever we find most fun. I find the Mojave to keep me laughing the entire time I run it because I never know what to expect to happen next.
I picked up the middle of the road springs options thanks to the suggestion above.? Liquid RC has the best price including shipping as usual for me. I buy so much stuff from this guy because he ships fast and the single time I had an issue he resolved it immediately.

1582752355505.png

edit: For those that don't know, I don't have a local hobby shop. The closest one thats an hour and a half driving doesn't sell Arrma either.

Last edited:
I’ve found short coarse trucks like the dirt n gravel. Roll like hell in the grass. They’re meet tho skid around and that’s hard on grass. Maybe some less aggressive tires would help too

They might be too big.

yah this is me looking for upgrades :p

Another suspension setup I forgot to mentioned. So you can put stiffer springs and change to a thicker sway bar, but you can also move the rear camber link to a lower mounting point on the tower (and keep the higher point on the hub side). This will raise the roll-center, which means less roll in the turns.

I'm not saying that if you'll combine these 3 things together you'll get Talion handling, but I'm sure it will remove most of the traction rolls.

Thanks so much for pointing that out. I knew they offered different spring rates for the Kraton 8S but I didn't know about the Mojave. I just placed and order for the stiffest springs and thickest sway bars.

Would weight would you use for the shocks with the stiffest springs? Stock is 550 CST.

You could use the shock pistons with the fewest/smallest holes in them to slow the compression down also. It would help with the instantaneous weight shift that preempts traction roll. I haven't gone through all of the ones that came with the truck but it looked like there were several options. I'm all about trying the cheapest route first, although slower suspension action would transfer more energy through the chassis. So if you're hitting huge jumps it would Increase risk of bending if you haven't upgraded the braces already.

Just an idea while you're waiting your stiffer springs, will thinner diff fluid on the rear help? to induce oversteer on the rear for a greater chance to slide instead of roll :unsure:

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back