Mojave Mojave? Infraction? Felony? Help me decide!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banjoted

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Infraction
  3. Mojave
  4. Talion
So, my current RCs: an Arrma Talion, a Team Associated Rival MT10 and the Bangood SG 1603 mini not-Infraction. And I'm really torn as to which to go for next.

Mojave 6S v2
Looks like amazing fun, but I wonder if ultimately it's more similar to the Talion than the other options?

Infraction v2
Again, looks great, and would give me an on-road option. But on the other hand I wonder if as an RC it's less versatile, being mainly on-road only. Plus, am I effectively limited to just running it in large car parks?

Felony!
I mean, look at it! I know the tires are odd sizes and there's no e-brake, but again, looks at it!

Ultimately I'm looking for something I'll enjoy, but also something that compliments what I have. I realise the Infraction broadens my options, but I wonder if I'm limiting myself too much and if I'll enjoy the versatility of the Mojave more? But then is the Mojave too much like my Talion?

Note that I'm still an RC newcomer, and while I'll do work when needed (like replacing the MT10 chassis I broke and changing the receiver/radio in the Talion) I'm very much in the game for the play and not the mechanical tinkering!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Infraction and felony are strictly on-road. You might be able to drive on baseball type sand with the right tires on the Infraction.
Felony requires different wheel sizes front to back. Yes, you will need a smooth parking lot to have fun but believe me it''s hard to wipe that smile off your face.
Every 10 packs you will need a new set of tires (GRP), if you stick with stock Hoons it's 2-3 packs. That's $50 minimum.

Mojave, not even a comparison. It's for off-road..
If you already have other off-roads, it won't do anything new for you. Driving style is a little different.
Not saying it's not fun but I didn't opt for it as it is based on your bashing style. This is not for jumping etc.

So effectively you're saying that the Mojave ultimately will give me very similar thrills to the Talion, whereas the Infraction/Felony is a whole different option?

Incidentally, are you able to advise on an alternative to the Hoons that still performs but lasts longer? Is that the GRP you make reference to? If so, have you got a link so I can see what you mean?

(Please excuse my intense noobishness).

My two cents;

The Infraction handbrake is a bit gimmicky and I don’t think you’re really going to use it after awhile. It isn’t completely intuitive and you have to be aware to never use it under power or you will blow out the center diff.

Personally I’m not a fan of the Felony rear tires - I converted mine over so that I can use standard Hoons or GRPs at my discretion.

Of the three - the Mojave is the most versatile but I also love my Infraction and given the options you presented, that would be my choice. You could also consider a Kraton.

My two cents;

The Infraction handbrake is a bit gimmicky and I don’t think you’re really going to use it after awhile. It isn’t completely intuitive and you have to be aware to never use it under power or you will blow out the center diff.

Personally I’m not a fan of the Felony rear tires - I converted mine over so that I can use standard Hoons or GRPs at my discretion.

Of the three - the Mojave is the most versatile but I also love my Infraction and given the options you presented, that would be my choice. You could also consider a Kraton.

Thanks. I would have thought the Kraton is too similar to the Talion to consider, no? How easy is the Felony tire conversion?

The felony has weird wheels, so getting aftermarket options will be hard

Is there no non-official option for aftermarket Felony tires? What GRPs do people go for on the Infraction?

All you have to do to the Felony to run other matching tires is to swap the inputs gears, front to rear. That will equalize the final drive ratios so that you can now run the same tires all around.

All you have to do to the Felony to run other matching tires is to swap the inputs gears, front to rear. That will equalize the final drive ratios so that you can now run the same tires all around.

I would have no idea how to do such a thing, though hopefully I could figure it out. Thanks.

I would have no idea how to do such a thing, though hopefully I could figure it out. Thanks.
Yeah you will learn over time. Theres lots to learn and just take it one step at a time.

Yeah you will learn over time. Theres lots to learn and just take it one step at a time.

Yes. Learning about wrenching on RC cars can seem like a huge undertaking at first since there are so many interdependent parts and systems. After a little while, it sort of clicks and you "get" it. As Jon said, just go step by step (one small project after the other), watch youtube videos, try not to get over your head at first and you'll be fine.

You may very well end up enjoying wrenching even more than driving. :)

Yes. Learning about wrenching on RC cars can seem like a huge undertaking at first since there are so many interdependent parts and systems. After a little while, it sort of clicks and you "get" it. As Jon said, just go step by step (one small project after the other), watch youtube videos, try not to get over your head at first and you'll be fine.

You may very well end up enjoying wrenching even more than driving. :)
I remember when I first got my Typhon 6S and was scared to do the full bearing swap. I knew that meant diff disassembly to get to the output bearings. I was scared to deal with that part. I pushed thru and now laugh at the hesitation. It really is not that big of a deal. Just give yourself time and space to work. Take pics if needed. Lay parts out in order. It will all work out.

Cheers all - on my second ever RC outing with my Rival MT-10 I hit the brakes too hard, flipped it and it skidded into a kerb and snapped in half! But I was actually kinda pleased because I knew it would force me to learn some stuff. And sure enough - swapping the chassis was terrifying. But I got there!

Am thinking I may well go for a Felony, with the notion that I may well try a differential swap down the line. Saying that, the Mojave does look like a lot of fun...

Cheers all - on my second ever RC outing with my Rival MT-10 I hit the brakes too hard, flipped it and it skidded into a kerb and snapped in half! But I was actually kinda pleased because I knew it would force me to learn some stuff. And sure enough - swapping the chassis was terrifying. But I got there!

Am thinking I may well go for a Felony, with the notion that I may well try a differential swap down the line. Saying that, the Mojave does look like a lot of fun...
Yep those SWB trucks will front flip super easy. I had to turn my brakes down on my ProMT too.

Really depends on your driving locations and what your driving style is. All of the above mentioned vehicles need a good amount of space to have fun. If you've got the room, the Mojave is a blast, I treat it like a rugged street car that drives in dirt and can handle bumps, dips and such. the drawback to the Mojave vs the street only cars is that it requires much more cleaning after using.

I don't have an Infraction or Felony but both are on my wishlist. I do use my 6S Typhon as a road racer and it too needs a large smooth parking lot to have fun. They are all great choices from what I have seen, I think you will eventually end up with at least two of the three, so go with your gut, you seem to be leaning toward the Felony. Your going to love whichever one you choose. :)

Really depends on your driving locations and what your driving style is. All of the above mentioned vehicles need a good amount of space to have fun. If you've got the room, the Mojave is a blast, I treat it like a rugged street car that drives in dirt and can handle bumps, dips and such. the drawback to the Mojave vs the street only cars is that it requires much more cleaning after using.

I don't have an Infraction or Felony but both are on my wishlist. I do use my 6S Typhon as a road racer and it too needs a large smooth parking lot to have fun. They are all great choices from what I have seen, I think you will eventually end up with at least two of the three, so go with your gut, you seem to be leaning toward the Felony. Your going to love whichever one you choose. :)

Thanks mate! Yeah, I think the inevitability is that if I end up with a Felony now then I'll probably be eying up the Mojave at bonus time in April... ;)

Although saying that, I've also been eying up a Super Baja Rey! Just 'cos it's another different option...

Urgh, I'm still super procrastinating over this. I had an Infraction in my trolley and really thought I'd made my mind up, but then I find myself thinking "hmmm, if I get a Mojave then I've got two versatile cars, one of which leans toward the road (Talion) and the other off-road (Mojave), but both of which can be enjoyed anywhere". Plus, the whole tire expense of the Infraction doesn't help... although it might not stop me! Can one of you lot take control of my PC remotely and just make a purchase on my behalf to stop this absurdity?

I'm very much in the game for the play and not the mechanical tinkering!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Don't get either and be glad you didn't? Seriously, with maintenance, tuning and fixing inevitable breakages you'll be "tinkering" all the time.

Just as an FYI all, I just ordered an Infraction v2!

Next on the list, either after I've sold some stuff (I collect Transformers), or after bonus time, I'm either going to get a Super Baja Rey 2.0 or Mojave v2. Then I'm deluding myself into believing that will be that. Which is definitely true, right?

Thanks everyone for all your feedback.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back