Mojave Mojave Tire Upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m pretty sure I’d try and find a setup for a full lap offroad drifting😉.
Ah..spinning ain't winning though,LOL. It's not actually flat, or smooth. Pretty rough actually, clay is full of rocks that are always working their way to the surface. Also with a step up jump, tree roots.. The 1/10 and 1/8 buggies get quite a workout in the suspension department.

Probably as the odd man out, I use my Mojave as a big SCT and drive it as such. It is far more capable than most expect, and track performance is where my interests seem to gravitate towards. I'm not really a basher in any way, shape, or form, and this guides my truck setup and tire choices. I like the Methods, but they are the slowest on loose surfaces. Every tire brings a different element of performance to the table, and I feel this is part of the fun of the hobby.

I'm hoping to go to Crandon one year and see the trucks race in person, and possibly recreate that dirt track at our local club. The Red Bull Racing World Cup at Crandon is bonkers awesome.

https://crandonoffroad.com/events/
I don't see how the 1/7 Mojave can fit and get any good lap times on any confined track, like a 1/8 average size SCT would.:unsure:
Maybe running 4s packs it can?? IDK.

Probably as the odd man out, I use my Mojave as a big SCT and drive it as such. It is far more capable than most expect, and track performance is where my interests seem to gravitate towards. I'm not really a basher in any way, shape, or form, and this guides my truck setup and tire choices. I like the Methods, but they are the slowest on loose surfaces. Every tire brings a different element of performance to the table, and I feel this is part of the fun of the hobby.

I'm hoping to go to Crandon one year and see the trucks race in person, and possibly recreate that dirt track at our local club. The Red Bull Racing World Cup at Crandon is bonkers awesome.

https://crandonoffroad.com/events/
I've watched a few events on tv from there. Big track, big sweepers and big rollers. Yup, a scale version of that with a dozen Mojo's and UDR's would be killer!!
"Track of dreams".." if you build it, they will come" 😁👍🍻

I don't see how the 1/7 Mojave can fit and get any good lap times on any confined track, like a 1/8 average size SCT would.:unsure:
Maybe running 4s packs it can?? IDK.
Our track layout is much larger. We don't run on an SCT track. This is from page 2 of this discussion.

"When it comes to the Mojave, the differences in my experience are much more pronounced. But I feel there is a bit caveat to this in that I almost exclusively run on short grass / dirt in the cooler fall and winter months. The surface ( off-season soccer fields which see heavy use ) is very unique and shows some significant handling and lap time differences."
I've watched a few events on tv from there. Big track, big sweepers and big rollers. Yup, a scale version of that with a dozen Mojo's and UDR's would be killer!!
"Track of dreams".." if you build it, they will come" 😁👍🍻
We just finished a new rock racing course and hope to start on the desert truck track soon. I have 8.5 acres to work with.

I agree.
I would love to see a large enough Groomed Clay track for 1/7 scale Mojos and UDR's. Sweepers, triples and all.(y)
And still, 4s packs may be the better choice. All that 6s wheelspin just makes for crappy lap times IMHO.
If she don't hook up, its a fail when it comes to track running.
With 6s bashing in the wide open, its all about power sliding and drifting all over the place on dirt. How I see it at least.
You can't drive like that with competition on a track. It just becomes a bumper car demolishion Derby.:giggle:

Edited.

Last edited:
I agree.
I would love to see a large enough Groomed Clay track for 1/7 scale Mojos and UDR's. Sweepers, triples and all.(y)
That's the plan. I've done some initial marking of the course, but I want to make a base of sifted and compacted soil rather than hacking it out of the desert like our rock racing track. It will be a lot of work, but we have heavy equipment to use. It's just a matter of getting more local drivers involved. Unfortunately that is easier said than done.

There is much to designing a groomed track for its intended scale platform. 1/7 is large. When considering turns etc, have to consider that the Mojave has a rather large turning radius to begin with. Driving very slowly around the intended track, it should be able to make the turns easily at slow speed, with enough room to spare.

Last edited:
My thoughts were of a 1/5 sized track. I know the Mojo is not as big as a 1/5 but with a narrow stance and long wheelbase..it's more like 1/5 than a 1/8.
Either way, I wish I could be involved, sounds awesome!

Yeah the XLWB of the Mojave is what makes it drive more like 1/5 scale. Just the length alone makes it hard to steer sharply.

There is much to designing a groomed track for its intended scale platform. 1/7 is large. When considering turns etc, have to consider that the Mojave has a rather large turning radius to begin with. Driving very slowly around the intended track, it should be able to make the turns easily at slow speed, with enough room to spare.
Yes indeed. We have scheduled other racers from Cali to come down and work with track layout. I'm 100% confident we can get it correct with Crandon being the base working model that we will use as a starting point.

As for batteries 6s vs 4s, yes all of these ideas and much more will be put to the test on a track. In many ways the track will be a tool for us to test out ideas and see what works vs doesn't work. Motor kV, battery size, suspension, all these and many more details to learn about. With our lap timer, there will be no guessing as to which setup performs better. Down the road we plan to host events that flange up with the Mint 400, so people can come down and see the 1:1 versions and then race their Mojave / UDR / Super Baja Reys on the track. There is a mountain of work to do.

s

20230309_084513[1].jpg

Yeah track designing can be daunting. Not as simple as one would think. Need to test out turns, jumps etc. With several different platforms. Much testing involved.
Good luck.
Want to see the end results here. (y)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back