Mojave Mojave Tire Upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are in stock, they have 2 listings, one for a set of 4 and one for a set of 2. You just let Arthur know what color you want.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VITAVON-al...-/284279923193?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286
I put the Hyrax tires on proline SC wheels with aluminum 17mm hex’s. I got tired of waiting for the Vitivons to be in stock

View attachment 147370

View attachment 147371
are those regular sc 2.2 3.0 wheels for the 1/7 hyrax?

are those regular sc 2.2 3.0 wheels for the 1/7 hyrax?
Tires: Proline PL10163-00
Wheels: Traxxas TRX8471
Remove the Traxxas hex splines with a dremel to get hex17mm.
A bit dirty but they look good.
AF90A6BD-1A66-489C-B555-BB362DB0EB63.jpeg

Out testing today on the gravel and these Methods are quite fast. What I also like is when getting on the throttle, the truck continues to track straight. The more I drive these, the more I like them.

Mojave Method 6.jpg

Was just reading through this old thread. Maybe it’s just turf and gravel composition in my particular zip code, but I really don’t have a problem at all with the stocker tires on my Mojave. They’re better than most, IMO. And ain’t no way I’ll ever go to aluminum wheels on a 1/7 truck whether they say Vitavon on them or not. Why would anyone (outside of the crawler scene) actually spend that kind of money to add that much unsprung weight? Makes no sense at all to me. From the obvious decrease in handling to the overheating of electronics, the bling thing just doesn’t add up when it comes to wheels. Just my .02.

With Motowork beadlock wheels, which are a true 2.2", then you have all of 2.2 tire options on the market that will fit. I probably have another half-dozen sets of tires that I can run on the Mojave with those wheels, and with the CI DW foams, they easily handle 6s power. I won't say that it's a good investment for the truck, and I also prefer plastic wheels. The OEM tires are crap on desert hardpack though. I only run OEM on short grass.

As for the weight, sure it adds. Heavy wheels are not ideal, but unless you are on a track with a lap timer and a good driver, you'll never see the difference. Testing tires is sorta my thing, and running the trucks on a set track is part of that, I can't say I've seen any overheating result that's pointed towards the beadlock wheels - but I've never looked for it. My temps stay pretty consistent.

All the other aluminum crap people add for bashing has a far more detrimental effect on truck handling. Not to mention crazy heavy batteries.

Mojave Beadlocks 1.jpg

Out testing today on the gravel and these Methods are quite fast. What I also like is when getting on the throttle, the truck continues to track straight. The more I drive these, the more I like them.

View attachment 216171
Those tires really are amazing imo. I took them off my mojave and tried them on my talion. Loved them so much on the talion the mojave never saw them again 🤣. I even love the Mt ones on my kraton.

Are there any plastic/nylon wheel options to fit those?
Not that I'm aware of. Problem you're facing is the 17mm hub requirement and a 2.2" wheel. I'm not aware of a single plastic 2.2" wheel with a 17mm hex. Just about in every situation you're going to be running the 2.2/3.0 combo and searching for tires in that range. If you really want variety in your tire options, you need to get the Motoworx wheels. Just keep in mind you'll be running a wider stance and the knuckles won't be protected on the inside of the wheel.

Once I get the Mojave info updated on the website, I'll dive into these details with photos and such. Better to get this sorted out before dropping $200 on wheels.

s

I just love the stocker Fortresses. No reason for me to change them out. They just work for me. Stockers are best fitting.
Some have stated the treads traction of the Methods are not better, despite them being belted and all. Some say they even stretch out with use, and balloon from the sidewalls stretching. Earl Moorehead said he had better luck with the stockers trying to do speed passes on grass. Methods were a problem for him. Slower PB's.
The stockers are just pretty durable IMHO. Not the prettiest wheel, I get it. :cool:
On occassion I have run 1/8 Truggy Pins ( a zero offset fits best).

Last edited:
As just an opinion from my testing, I feel that 6s platforms bring a much different feel between wheels and tires than 4s systems, such as buggies. While I can see the lap time differences with the 4s Tekno buggy, I can make many different tires drive well, getting more into the shaving of seconds different between tires.

When it comes to the Mojave, the differences in my experience are much more pronounced. But I feel there is a bit caveat to this in that I almost exclusively run on short grass / dirt in the cooler fall and winter months. The surface ( off-season soccer fields which see heavy use ) is very unique and shows some significant handling and lap time differences.

I'll also say that driving in a straight line really isn't interesting, but working around sharp corners and curves is what I have my Mojave dialed in for. I set my track up similar to Crandon, and it really demands a high-level of handling to run fast lap times. On this track and surface, tires are absolutely night and day on lap times.

s.
Mojave Hyrax 30.jpg

With Motowork beadlock wheels, which are a true 2.2", then you have all of 2.2 tire options on the market that will fit.

View attachment 216260
So a year and a half later, are you still running the Motowork beadlocks? Which tires? The same? My MOJO also runs pretty much exclusively on a well trodden soccer (futbal) field with short grass. Still loving the stock Fortress setup, but open to other recommendations that don’t double the unsprung weight.

So a year and a half later, are you still running the Motowork beadlocks? Which tires? The same? My MOJO also runs pretty much exclusively on a well trodden soccer (futbal) field with short grass. Still loving the stock Fortress setup, but open to other recommendations that don’t double the unsprung weight.
The Motoworks are just sorts for fun and giggles; they are not ideal for speed in the corners. Right now I'm testing out three different wheels and tires, but the JConcepts have been the best on that surface. Still more testing to go.

s

The stocker Fortress's do have extreme side bite. Probably not best for hard confined cornering. The Mojo is a wide open basher.
A more relaxed /less side bite with the Mojo specific Belted Method wheels/tires, for instance, may have some advantages with confined track running. IDK.:unsure: We all drive differently with diff expectations of ours.

The stocker Fortress's do have extreme side bite. Probably not best for hard confined cornering. The Mojo is a wide open basher.
A more relaxed /less side bite with the Mojo specific Belted Method wheels/tires, for instance, may have some advantages with confined track running. IDK.:unsure: We all drive differently with diff expectations of ours.
Probably as the odd man out, I use my Mojave as a big SCT and drive it as such. It is far more capable than most expect, and track performance is where my interests seem to gravitate towards. I'm not really a basher in any way, shape, or form, and this guides my truck setup and tire choices. I like the Methods, but they are the slowest on loose surfaces. Every tire brings a different element of performance to the table, and I feel this is part of the fun of the hobby.

I'm hoping to go to Crandon one year and see the trucks race in person, and possibly recreate that dirt track at our local club. The Red Bull Racing World Cup at Crandon is bonkers awesome.

https://crandonoffroad.com/events/

Me too then I guess. I run everything on a figure eight clay track on my property. From 2wd Bandit to Xmaxx, 2,3,4,6 and 8s, my brother and I race em all against one another on it. The Mojave didn't really do well on it, too small (track) and my brother refused to buy anything comparable.. So, my Mojo is now a Typhon XL and my Kraton was stretched to XL on the Mojo chassis, which is now the odd bird out..LOL. I do have ramps for breaking stuff when I get bored of smacking trees at the track..
I'm curious about the newly released Mirage TT by Proline, haven't heard any feedback yet. Could be good on the Typhon XL for track duties which is currently rolling on 6s Fortress tires. They're great tires, not suited for clay though. Maybe the Mirage will be the hot setup. Need to see some proof of concept before dropping $120 on a set though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back