Molykote'ingGears

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did this during my early speed running days, mainly to keep my diffs from melting. I would coat the diff gears, outdrive cups & dogbones/CVDs. The molykote would provide a path for heat dissipation away from the plastic diff housing & bulkheads. The main culprit for this treatment was the Slash 4x4 b4 all the aluminum parts.

As for gear life & strength, the easily way to accomplish this is heat treating & oil quenching. Oil quenching covers the surface in carbon which allows the gears to retain shape & greatly reduce wear. The X-Maxx pot metal gears benefitted from this the most in that I only heat treated 2 sets of gears for the truck b4 upgrading it to an XLX 2028 & after a year of bashing, it's still running the 1st set.

Molykote only works as a replacement for gear lube at best. It is a great lube but it won't do anything to decrease wear or increase life. This can only be done by improving the gear structurally, it's molecular makeup.

Thank you for that great explanation. Seems I will be wasting my time if I were to do it so I'm glad I asked. Thanks again...I'm a big fan of your builds, I've learned a lot reading through them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back