Kraton Momba 1515 combo heat issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Senton Basher

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
I need a little help. I swapped out my blx system for a 1515 combo I had in a retired senton. All of a sudden my temps are 160-170 on the motor and 140-150 on the esc. My blx would run 15-20 degrees cooler. I also feel like it’s slower. So is the momba system powerful enough for the kraton? I’m running the same 16 tooth pinion and stock spur as always. Thoughts and recommendations? Thanks in advance

Doesn't the kraton come with a motor less than 2000kv? Guessing you'd want to gear down to get similar speeds, which would lower the stress on the castle system. You running the castle MMX or the MMv2 esc?

I have the MMX/2200kv in my savage flux and it does fine, but I'm only running 4S. Geared to run 45mph top speed. I had to dial the punch down to 90% throttled just to make it controllable.

I need a little help. I swapped out my blx system for a 1515 combo I had in a retired senton. All of a sudden my temps are 160-170 on the motor and 140-150 on the esc. My blx would run 15-20 degrees cooler. I also feel like it’s slower. So is the momba system powerful enough for the kraton? I’m running the same 16 tooth pinion and stock spur as always. Thoughts and recommendations? Thanks in advance

Need a smaller pinion, you went up in kv.

Doesn't the kraton come with a motor less than 2000kv? Guessing you'd want to gear down to get similar speeds, which would lower the stress on the castle system. You running the castle MMX or the MMv2 esc?

I have the MMX/2200kv in my savage flux and it does fine, but I'm only running 4S. Geared to run 45mph top speed. I had to dial the punch down to 90% throttled just to make it controllable.

Stock Kraton is 2050 kv.

I dropped from 16t to 14. So we’ll see later tonight. I’m just wondering if this system is powerful enough to push the kraton as well as the blx. I thought for sure that it would be better.

You gained rpm per volt but not torque, but gearing can compensate for that. I wouldn't be surprised if you wind up geared lower yet.

I dropped from 16t to 14. So we’ll see later tonight. I’m just wondering if this system is powerful enough to push the kraton as well as the blx. I thought for sure that it would be better.

I can't imagine the kraton weighs more than my savage flux, then again, I don't know how it would do if I ran 6S. For the past year and a half, I've had the ERBE with the MMv2 (stock esc)/2200kv and for the past year the flux as well with it's stock blur/2200kv and the past 6 months with the MMX/2200kv, all running 4S.

Both trucks geared for around 45mph top speed. Neither drive well at that speed, I'd have to slam the suspension and run thinner walled tires to drive over 40mph with any faith in not having a high speed crash. The 45mph speed run was a very gradual, over 100 yards run with a GPS strapped to it just to see where it tops out, then quickly slowing back down due to it getting squirrely. It's very rare I hit WOT when bashing, other than an occasional blip to finish a flip or something. Considering that, it's may be why I've been fine with 2200kv systems.

I guess at parks in the grass, I do hit WOT more often, but it's not for long.

I find 2200kv too high for the Kraton, just my preference. I run a 1650kv and a 1700kv with a 16 tooth for a comparison.

I can't imagine the kraton weighs more than my savage flux, then again, I don't know how it would do if I ran 6S. For the past year and a half, I've had the ERBE with the MMv2 (stock esc)/2200kv and for the past year the flux as well with it's stock blur/2200kv and the past 6 months with the MMX/2200kv, all running 4S.

Both trucks geared for around 45mph top speed. Neither drive well at that speed, I'd have to slam the suspension and run thinner walled tires to drive over 40mph with any faith in not having a high speed crash. The 45mph speed run was a very gradual, over 100 yards run with a GPS strapped to it just to see where it tops out, then quickly slowing back down due to it getting squirrely. It's very rare I hit WOT when bashing, other than an occasional blip to finish a flip or something. Considering that, it's may be why I've been fine with 2200kv systems.

I guess at parks in the grass, I do hit WOT more often, but it's not for long.

I don't know which is heavier either. 6s does push everything quite a bit harder. I don't know what the overall gear ratio (from the pinion to the diff's to where the rubber meets the road) difference works out to be between the two either. Sometimes people either forget or don't know that tire circumference changes that ratio.

I find 2200kv too high for the Kraton, just my preference. I run a 1650kv and a 1700kv with a 16 tooth for a comparison.

I also run 1600kv & 16 tooth. Pretty happy with it but going to try 17 just too see.

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions everyone. Ideally I’d like to keep the esc and just replace the motor. What motor should I put in there that plays nice with the momba x esc?

Huh... I think I overheated mine today for the first time. The MMX/2200kv. It was hot (85F) and humid (80-90%) out and it did some stuff it never did before. Would apply nearly full brake out of the blue, then not let me go forward/back for a few minutes. I checked the motor/esc temp all over and the highest I read on the motor was 140F and on the esc was 136F. Also had a red light flash on it a few times when this happened. Will have to play back the video to hear the beep sequence again and I'll probably dump the log to see what it says the max temp was.

Was odd, a few times, it acted like I unplugged it and plugged it back in with the ESC beeping 4 times for the cell count. I did hit a bit of water, wondering if I got the switch wet and annoyed it. Supposed to be waterproof...

Huh... I think I overheated mine today for the first time. The MMX/2200kv. It was hot (85F) and humid (80-90%) out and it did some stuff it never did before. Would apply nearly full brake out of the blue, then not let me go forward/back for a few minutes. I checked the motor/esc temp all over and the highest I read on the motor was 140F and on the esc was 136F. Also had a red light flash on it a few times when this happened. Will have to play back the video to hear the beep sequence again and I'll probably dump the log to see what it says the max temp was.

Was odd, a few times, it acted like I unplugged it and plugged it back in with the ESC beeping 4 times for the cell count. I did hit a bit of water, wondering if I got the switch wet and annoyed it. Supposed to be waterproof...
140 is pretty good.. let us know what you find out.

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions everyone. Ideally I’d like to keep the esc and just replace the motor. What motor should I put in there that plays nice with the momba x esc?
Almost any motor. The MMX can run almost any. I had a TpPower 4070 that was 107mm long. Now a Xo-1 motor that is giant in diameter...i had to raise the center diff 4mm to fit. So far so great tho. I. Love my 2 MMXs

Sent this to castle with an explanation of what was going on.

Got really lucky towards the end of my run. Whatever it's doing, it was applying full brake. It did it when I was in flight. Luckily landed probably my first forward flip while it happened. Would have been a nasty crash if it hadn't landed right.

Almost any motor. The MMX can run almost any. I had a TpPower 4070 that was 107mm long. Now a Xo-1 motor that is giant in diameter...i had to raise the center diff 4mm to fit. So far so great tho. I. Love my 2 MMXs
So without having to modify the car other than pinion what’s the ideal motor to get? Tekin, Leopard?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back