Mongoose’s Mega To BLX Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received my Typhon axles and stubs from lumidave35 today (thanks for the heads up @Megasty) and my Typhon 17mm hexes from JennysRC. I won’t be installing them until I get the MX28’s unless Backflips will fit.

Also order some Losi 6.8mm shock balls that should fit perfectly in the shock towers as well as EB48.4 orange and black springs.

View attachment 29273
The axles will need different hexes to fit the mx28. The hex in the rim is deeper than what the axle hex can hold before pressing against the hub. I use these: https://www.redcat.toys/12mm-to-17mm-Wheel-Hex-Upgrade-BS17MM-Kit-RCR-10-p/RCR-1005.htm with a loctited 12mm m3 2.5 head hex bolt, grade 12.9. I can loctite the heck out out that bolt & have no problem removing it. The Redcat hexes use a 2mm pin so I drilled out the hole a bit to fit the larger Arrma pin.

I finished post and awesome work, and my question was answered. How long does the tires last with the holes

I’m not sure yet, I haven’t had the chance to run them but my Backflips have held up well. I don’t see it being an issue though. They’ll stretch and go right back to size. The only thing that would really cause them to fail would be if the time was perfect and a stick or something went directly in and ripped it.

Replaced the Hoboa springs for Tekno EB48.4 Orange and Black springs with modified Losi 6.8mm Suspension Pivot Balls.

I wanted to use the pivot balls in the upper shock eyelet because I wanted the shock to be able to rotate “at will” during articulation and the bushing I was using would not allow it.

It required some “persuation” so I Dremeled the front and rear faces equally to get it to fit. It fit nicely and creates a very rigid connection between the front and rear shock tower faces....plus they spin.

I had to bring the bottom of the shock out to give clearance for the axle. I don’t exactly like it but it will do until I can figure something else out.

Last edited:
Overall I am very happy with how they feel. They feel great but the front and rear collars are at their max to get level ride height so I think I’m going to replace the bottom shock mount to drop the suspension about .12” in the front.

Last edited:
Went for a quick run today at the local high school Soccer field since I knew it would be dry and flat. It has the fake grass with the rubber bits imbedded in it so it was a very high traction surface. This thing absolutely friggin rips! 100 yard wheelies (glad I installed the wheelie bar), you can let it drop while at 3/4 throttle and hit it again and it just pops right back up....tires ballon though so I may wrap them.

35 degrees out and ESC didn’t break a sweat, it finally hit 90 degrees at the end but the motor started to get warm at about 187 degrees. I need to put the heatsink on I guess.

Anyway, while going forward everything sounds good but if I hammer it from sitting still to go in reverse, it makes a weird noise and then stops once it gets to speed. I can ease into it and no noise. I’m 98% sure it’s the slipper but wanted to get your guys opinion. It sounds a lot like the noise in this video. It DOES NOT make the noise going forward.

5:05 when he hits the brake to stop rotation.

Well, I think I figured it. It’s the spur gear or the way the slipper assembly fits in the housing. It has a ton of axial and angular slop and doesn’t stay pararallel with the pinion. I think it shifts when going in the reverse causing a light bind. I need to shim behind the bearing in the cover to remove the slop.

Here is a pic of the spur. It’s only on one side. See the chamfered corners? It’s from the spur moving and contacting the pinion at a weird angle.

They should work in theory but I don't have to make sure. The redcat hexes are also +10mm extensions. Anyway, you could always just use them with the BRCC axles if they don't fit the Typhon axles.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back