Mongoose’s Mega To BLX Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so I figured out what the deal was and how my spur was binding with the pinion. As I stated earlier, the slipper assembly floats front to back within the bearings and I think this caused an interference with the pinion in the area I am pointing to in this pic.

The gear root is below the shoulder and due to the position I had my pinion set on the motor shaft (wasn’t centered), the spur would shift to the back of the truck and bind in this area when going in reverse makin the noise I was hearing and chamfering the spur teeth.

So, to fix this to the best of my ability at the time, I just centered the pinion on the motor shaft. Hopefully, it will be enough even when the slipper shifts.

I still want to shim the bearing to prevent the slipper from shifting.

Last edited:
They should work in theory but I don't have to make sure. The redcat hexes are also +10mm extensions. Anyway, you could always just use them with the BRCC axles if they don't fit the Typhon axles.

Ok. We will see how it goes. Thanks for your quick reply!

Since I had this apart to fix that issue, I decided to mount the motor differently to reorient the motor cables because I think this is better than the way I had it before. Also, I ran the temp wire through the heat shrink tubing to keep it all nice and tidy.

Also, put some tape over the opening of the transmission housing.

So I put the Tekno rod ends and perch on the Hobao shocks hoping to get a little less preload to even the front and back out but it didn’t help enough.

So, I just ordered a set of Talion shocks from Jenny’s with the plan of putting the Tekno springs on those. I like the way the springs feel right now so I’m thinking they will feel even better on the Talion shocks.

Gonna be selling the Hobaos....

F448A815-706A-40A7-954B-6A0C95715D03.jpeg
369B37F5-217A-4BD5-AB0A-47E55865B2E8.jpeg

These are some notes I made when figuring the shocks out. You never know who or why someone will need this in the future so I’m posting it.

Tekno EB48.4 LF Springs
Front (TKR8763) - 75mm @ 3.58 lb/in
Rear (TKR8773) - 85mm @ 2.75 lb/in

Typhon Springs (Stock)
Front - 70mm @ 85 g/mm or 4.75 lb/in
Rear - 84mm @ 56.6 g/mm or 3.19 lb/in

Talion Shock Length (Stock)
107mm eye to eye
124mm eye to eye

Typhon Shock Length (Stock)
107mm eye to eye
120mm eye to eye

Granite BLX Springs (Stock)
Front - 70mm @ 5.71 lb/in
Rear - 80mm @ 4.80 lb/in

Last edited:
These are some notes I made when figuring the shocks out. You never know who or why someone will need this in the future so I’m posting it.

Tekno LF Springs
75mm front 3.58 lb/in
85mm rear 2.75 lb/in

Typhon Springs (Stock)
70mm front 85 g/mm or 4.75 lb/in
84mm rear 56.6 g/mm or 3.19lb/in

Talion Shock Length (Stock)
107mm eye to eye
124mm eye to eye

Typhon Shock Length (Stock)
107mm eye to eye
120mm eye to eye
Great stuff Mongoose. Easily bookmarked for reference.

Great stuff Mongoose. Easily bookmarked for reference.

Good that’s what I was shooting for. I don’t know how many times I have had to piece info together by searching multiple threads and posts just to get 1 piece of the puzzle. I need to use the bookmark feature more often....

Got my Talion shocks. Replaced the Talion springs with the Teknos. The Teknos are 5mm longer than the stock Typhon springs so it seemed like a good Idea to use the shorter Tekno ends and perches on the front to offset the difference to get the stock spring rate back...does it make a difference? I dunno but it seems to make sense and they feel great so you’re guess is as good as mine. I left the rears as stock since the spring lengths are virtually the same.

Anyway, I replaced the Talion shock oil for 40wt In the front and 50wt in the rear. I have yet to mount the rears but the fronts seemed good on initial drop tests and just over all feel.

I will post more pics once it’s done....red shocks under the red Granite body look good though.

Update.

Springs are too soft for my liking and will be changing them out for Typhon springs. Too much roll in the corners and not fast enough recoil.

Love this power combo. Ambient temp was 40 degrees, full throttle 80-100 yard passes on Astro turf field for about 20-25 minutes, ESC never broke 100 degrees but the motor got to 180. I’m not running the heatsink so I’m gonna add it once I install the HR motor mount. Not too bad considering how hard I was running it.

I cracked a wheel. Gonna glue and run it til it blows up or falls apart.

Edit-Lectron Pro 7600mah 75C battery

Are you running front an rear springs from talion? I’m looking to run the typhon 6s shock setup since I broke a spring. People say those are bolt on perfect length.

Are you running front an rear springs from talion? I’m looking to run the typhon 6s shock setup since I broke a spring. People say those are bolt on perfect length.

No, I removed the Talion springs and swapped them for Tekno EB48.4 springs front and rear. I debated switching to Typhon springs but I ran the collars down and I love them.

No, I removed the Talion springs and swapped them for Tekno EB48.4 springs front and rear. I debated switching to Typhon springs but I ran the collars down and I love them.
I'm going to get me some of those new 4s shocks. Did you see the size of the rod ends????? :ROFLMAO:

I'm going to get me some of those new 4s shocks. Did you see the size of the rod ends????? :ROFLMAO:

Yeah man those dudes are beastly! They look like they can take a good hit for sure. I want a set of those Backflips from the 4S Outcast....that thing looks sick....almost looks like it could flip over and keep driving like the Tyco Rebound from back in the day lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back