Mongoose’s Mega To BLX Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongoose

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 6s
Ok so this is more to show off the new shocks but I may as well put everything in here.

Mega Granite 4x4 to BLX

What I have done or will be doing are as follows.

HW Max10 SCT with 3660 3200kv BL motor

Swapped stock ADS-5 steering servo for ADS-7M (this comes stock now but wasn’t when I bought the truck in February 2018). Replaced the stock servo saver garbage for the new style...can’t remember the correct name of it though.

Replaced entire stock Mega drivetrain for BLX drivetrain. Motor mount plate, slipper assembly, HD input pinions, diffs.

Will be replacing Mega axle stubs for the Typhon 3S hubs to accept the Typhon 3S 17mm hexes. On order from JennysRC.

Replaced stock Mega links with BLX adjustable turnbuckles.

BLX wheelie bar

T-Bone Racing XV6 front bumper.

Arrma Talion shocks with Tekno EB48.4 Orange and Black springs and Losi 6.8mm Suspension Pivot Balls (modified).

Next on the list is Proline MX28 17mm hex wheels and tires.

Now on to the pics.

Last edited:
Power system -HW Max10 SCT

The stock motor mount plate screws were really short and only allowed for a thread or two past the rear of the motor plate. When possible I like to have a minimum of 3 threads especially when the clamping surface is plastic so I swapped them for some that I had on hand but I’m not sure of the length.

Last edited:
Shock install.

I had some aluminum 6mm OD spacers on hand and used them for now to get the shocks mounted and check fit. They fit the eyelet very well but the ID is too loose and they aren’t long enough and allow too much moment fwd to aft. I will be going to the hardware store tomorrow to get the proper size.

Front shock comparison.

Rear shock comparison.

The front shocks were rubbing the axle in the front so I added 2 plastic shims behind the bottom shock mount to bring out. It works great now but I will be changing them to stainless.

Still need a longer bushing at the top.

Last edited:
nice man. how do they feel? what weight oil are you using? im still using the stock shocks for now, I have one extra full set on hand from jennys. once those break, ill be looking to upgrade. let us know how these perform. I have been eye balling the tekno eb48 shocks.

Here is how it sits with the heavy 7600mah 3S brick in it.

The fronts feel way too soft but some new springs and heavier fluid should do the trick. The rears feel great but need lighter fluid. Overall I am really happy with them so far but I’m not going to run it until I have the mounting sorted out.

Here are the spacers I am currently using. I had three 6mm long spacers but had to cut the one in the picture (13mm) to size.

The hardware store is my friend lol. I stock up on M2, M3 and M4 screws with aluminum and nylon spacers of various lengths because they are so cheap and always nice to have on hand for these builds.

Last edited:
Venting tires. I didn’t want to spend $18 for a 1/8” and 3/16” tube that was 3’ long when I only need 6” of it so I use brass hose barbs instead.

Load them in your drill and use sandpaper to remove the barbs, medium grit, fine grit and steel wool to polish them out. Then use your razor to sharpen the ID.

nice man. how do they feel? what weight oil are you using? im still using the stock shocks for now, I have one extra full set on hand from jennys. once those break, ill be looking to upgrade. let us know how these perform. I have been eye balling the tekno eb48 shocks.

I’m actually really impressed with these. They feel light in my hand but solid. The plastic reminds me of Tekno plastic actually. They have 3.5mm shafts and feel really smooth.

I still need to look into the stock Hobao oil weight but whatever it is seems too light in the front and the springs are going to need to be heavier. The rears feel great but I think they need lighter oil.

While I’m really happy with these, they don’t come close to the EB shocks lol but they’re also half the cost lol. If you can swing it, definitely go for the Tekno’s.

Venting tires. I didn’t want to spend $18 for a 1/8” and 3/16” tube that was 3’ long when I only need 6” of it so I use brass hose barbs instead.

Load them in your drill and use sandpaper to remove the barbs, medium grit, fine grit and steel wool to polish them out. Then use your razor to sharpen the ID.

View attachment 29218

View attachment 29219

View attachment 29220

View attachment 29221

You really got a lot off of there! Cleaned up very well.
Thanks for the trick

View attachment 29218

View attachment 29219

View attachment 29220

View attachment 29221

this was made to vent the tires? I am not familiar with the process of this. what is the hose barb used for?

this was made to vent the tires? I am not familiar with the process of this. what is the hose barb used for?

Venting the tires means drilling a hole through the outside of the tire or tread side to allow any water that may get in there to be slung out by centrifugal force. Also allows the tire to vent better under compression. So you drill the hole in the tire and cover the holes on the inside of the wheel.

You can use a drill bit but it doesn’t leave a clean hole because you’re trying to drill through rubber. The alternative is to use a brass tube with a sharpened ID & OD to cleanly cut the OD of the hole. You are essentially coring the hole rather than drilling.

Brass tubes are expensive, either buying from the hobby store or hardware store so I came up with this alternative. Basically, just shaving the barbs off to make the tube.

Truck looks awesome. I ordered the same power system for my Granite from Amain today. I’ll have it on Friday. I’m curious to see how it feels compared to the BLX 100.

I received my Typhon axles and stubs from lumidave35 today (thanks for the heads up @Megasty) and my Typhon 17mm hexes from JennysRC. I won’t be installing them until I get the MX28’s unless Backflips will fit.

Also order some Losi 6.8mm shock balls that should fit perfectly in the shock towers as well as EB48.4 orange and black springs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back