Outcast Monster x or hobbywing max 5? Big price difference.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armarookie43

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Mojave EXB
  6. Outcast 8s
  7. Typhon 6s
So I can get a mamba monster x at my LHS for $399 plus tax or get the hobbywing max 5 combo for $329 from hobbywing. Is it worth extra money for the mamba stuff? I only want to run my rig on 8s and 39/39 gearing or 35/39 gearing. Both come with the 800kv motor. Which one should I go with? I already ordered the max 5 esc plate from m2c though and my other systems are all hobbywing BTW. No experience with mamba stuff. I know the LHS also has the xlx system, which is like $470 plus tax. Wow. From what I hear, the Outcast might be a bit too heavy for the older mamba monster system? Thoughts? Thanks!
https://www.rcplanet.com/castle-cre...28-800kv-sensored-motor-combo-cse010-0165-01/

Or this :
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/max5-combos
I see that the mamba stuff is for vehicles that weigh 25lbs or less? That's pushing it with the O8S and lipo batteries installed ?

If I was in your shoes I’d be putting the xlx2 from castle withe 1100kv just my opinion I’m running max5 with tp 1100kvand love it
That thing is on backorder until who knows when though. Tp 1100kv? What gearing? Link? Thanks!

It’s tp power 5670 1100kv with 34t pinion and stock spur if I knew how to put a link I would lol I put a video on forum today standing backflips with it

https://www.tppowerusa.com/motors/in-stock-regular-motors/tp-56xx-series-1
I think I'm overthinking this one. I got the gears and motor mount for the max 5 and 800kv motor. I'll roll with that. $329 shipped. Thanks.The only question now is should I wait for black Friday? But there's no esc or motor inside my O8S right now ??

I think I'm overthinking this one. I got the gears and motor mount for the max 5 and 800kv motor. I'll roll with that. $329 shipped. Thanks.The only question now is should I wait for black Friday? But there's no esc or motor inside my O8S right now ??
Nah, don’t wait till BF.. no telling if that’ll go on sale anyway ??‍♂️ As for your choice, if you’re all hobbywing and dig it.. stick to what ya know. Also, no need to get an additional program card or have a esc plate laying around not used.

Nah, don’t wait till BF.. no telling if that’ll go on sale anyway ??‍♂️ As for your choice, if you’re all hobbywing and dig it.. stick to what ya know. Also, no need to get an additional program card or have a esc plate laying around not used.
Yeah it would absolutely make no sense to have the ESC plate just sitting there and my Outcast just sitting there too waiting for the back ordered stuff. Yeah both of my X-Maxx trucks have the max 5 so, that wouldn't make sense to go with a castle system now right? ?

Yeah it would absolutely make no sense to have the ESC plate just sitting there and my Outcast just sitting there too waiting for the back ordered stuff. Yeah both of my X-Maxx trucks have the max 5 so, that wouldn't make sense to go with a castle system now right? ?
Haha, it’s all good. I have both, I like both ??‍♂️ Bad answer... lol

No complaints with my max5 except the fan but that’s minor recently got the outcast 8s think after Xmas I’ll try the xlx2 in it have couple of the mmx 8s and like them as well

Haha, it’s all good. I have both, I like both ??‍♂️ Bad answer... lol
I found a great deal on an xlx 2 and 800kv motor so I'm going with that. The 1100kv motor one was not in stock ????
No complaints with my max5 except the fan but that’s minor recently got the outcast 8s think after Xmas I’ll try the xlx2 in it have couple of the mmx 8s and like them as well
I found a great deal on the xlx2 and it was in stock, so I want to try something new. Even though I'm new to the 1/5 electronics.

Last edited:
Now the only question I have left is how do I mount that giant esc on my Outcast 8s? Just double sided tape??

Now the only question I have left is how do I mount that giant esc on my Outcast 8s? Just double sided tape??
If I’m not mistaken, the xlx2 has holes you can mount it with on the bottom.. you can always trace these and then some how adapt these to your m2c mounting plate... how cool would it be if it was the same pattern as the HW ??

If I’m not mistaken, the xlx2 has holes you can mount it with on the bottom.. you can always trace these and then some how adapt these to your m2c mounting plate... how cool would it be if it was the same pattern as the HW ??
I doubt the holes align, but I'm handy with my cordless drill ?

I found a great deal on an xlx 2 and 800kv motor so I'm going with that. The 1100kv motor one was not in stock ????

I found a great deal on the xlx2 and it was in stock, so I want to try something new. Even though I'm new to the 1/5 electronics.
Dam now I’m jealous!! Let us know how you like it and performance!

I have both. The mmx8s weighs way less. Has way more technology. The max 5 is old technology with limited perameters. The castle esc is well worth the extra money. The parameters and data moving that come with the castle are so perfectly done. It can be set up on your iPhone using the castle link.
Attached is the parameters from castle link. Just screen shots so you can see what it looks like. It’s very user friendly.
8B33FA3C-66F1-461A-AB79-96D82530F31F.png
8F4AF394-BC02-4831-98C1-FF5CB83F3725.png
5501E387-57A7-443E-8368-A3E429B24F49.png
85009EA7-879F-40D9-96C5-3C8F68F1D44B.png

I have both. The mmx8s weighs way less. Has way more technology. The max 5 is old technology with limited perameters. The castle esc is well worth the extra money. The parameters and data moving that come with the castle are so perfectly done. It can be set up on your iPhone using the castle link.
Attached is the parameters from castle link. Just screen shots so you can see what it looks like. It’s very user friendly. View attachment 107407View attachment 107408View attachment 107409View attachment 107410
Nice. Thanks. Plus the housing on the castle stuff that I saw has a bigger fan and aluminum housing. Yeah I see why the price difference now. I went with the xlx 2, which is the latest from castle.

Well I guess Castle heard you because someone here already confirmed that the holes are the same. WIN. I have everything in my hands to do this upgrade except the motor/ESC. I'll probably post my stuff on the build thread or here at the Arrma 8s side.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back