Moonstone's winter builds/rebuilds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rest of the silicone just pulled off the body. Not sure why but this body feels super oily on the inside. I've washed it scuffed it and even used rubbing alcohol but it still felt slick. I sprayed it down with a coat of adhesive and am let it sit overnight.
Hopefully this adheres to the body so I can build from there.

So even the glue wasn't sticking as good as it should, but it was way better. Did two layers of drywall tape and then a layer of lepage quad max. Usually I use regular quad. This one feels a bit more flexible. We will see which holds up better.
IMG_20230106_141057.jpg
IMG_20230106_151818.jpg
IMG_20230106_151824.jpg

Also added a bit more to the fireteam body to make it black also.
IMG_20230106_151832.jpg

The chassis braces from AliExpress came in to install on the Fireteam. Fit and finish were good and they both have the notch that fits in the chassis. Only problems were- one hole had to be opened up from 3mm to 4mm thread because these were for a Mojave and second problem were the 2 screws on the chassis plate side weren't threaded far enough. I took about 1mm off the screw thread length and it fit fine.
IMG_20230108_004050.jpg
IMG_20230108_004042.jpg

I also got the Mojave EXB body back together and an working on the Fireteam body. Switched out the 2.5mm screws with 3mm flanged Stainless steel screws.

IMG_20230108_004129.jpg

Stripped the bodies down and washed them. Drywall taped the Mojave. I can never get it looking as clean as others I've seen. Maybe my tape isn't tacky enough.View attachment 267317View attachment 267318View attachment 267319
Yours looks just fine. This concrete board tape is much stronger than regular dry wall tape. It’s sticks very well also. I can lay the entire first layer before hitting it with shoo goo. I’ve also just switched over to e6000 after doing a small test with it. It’s very similar and only 11 bucks for a 10oz tube.

452637E2-0A26-4F4D-A390-A1D80D013B33.png

2AD5EB55-C6F2-4799-ADAB-B81C67A79CAD.png

Yours looks just fine. This concrete board tape is much stronger than regular dry wall tape. It’s sticks very well also. I can lay the entire first layer before hitting it with shoo goo. I’ve also just switched over to e6000 after doing a small test with it. It’s very similar and only 11 bucks for a 10oz tube.

View attachment 268300

View attachment 268301
Nice find. I had heard of e6000 but thought it was only sold in little tubes like Shoe Goo.

I've used Lepage Quad and Quad Max to reinforce the bodies. I think I prefer the regular one. It seemed more sticky and made the body very stiff but still has give to it.
Down side is it smells really strong like shoe Goo.

The quad max was easier to spread and the smell isn't super strong. It's way more flexible. Almost seems too flexible. Not sure yet if that's good or bad.
But a big plus is it's available in black which I think makes it look way cleaner.
Screenshot_2023-01-09-16-10-57-872-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg

Also added an extra screw to the fireteam. The body doesn't line up as clean but at least I don't have to worry about that piece ripping off so easily.
IMG_20230109_140229.jpg
IMG_20230109_140237.jpg

Nice find. I had heard of e6000 but thought it was only sold in little tubes like Shoe Goo.

I've used Lepage Quad and Quad Max to reinforce the bodies. I think I prefer the regular one. It seemed more sticky and made the body very stiff but still has give to it.
Down side is it smells really strong like shoe Goo.

The quad max was easier to spread and the smell isn't super strong. It's way more flexible. Almost seems too flexible. Not sure yet if that's good or bad.
But a big plus is it's available in black which I think makes it look way cleaner.
View attachment 268577
Also added an extra screw to the fireteam. The body doesn't line up as clean but at least I don't have to worry about that piece ripping off so easily.View attachment 268578View attachment 268579
The Fireteam was the first time I tried Plasti-Dip because of all the contours in the design. Honestly, I'm not worried too much about the panels themselves, it's those stupid tiny holes. I put washers on the existing tiny screws for now, but I might switch to the 3cmm flanged shortly.

The Fireteam was the first time I tried Plasti-Dip because of all the contours in the design. Honestly, I'm not worried too much about the panels themselves, it's those stupid tiny holes. I put washers on the existing tiny screws for now, but I might switch to the 3cmm flanged shortly.
Yeah I thought it would be quick and easy to reinforce the Panels because they're small pieces. But with all the contours it probably took as long as the giant Mojave body.

These are the screws I used.
Screenshot_2023-01-09-17-50-31-391_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
Although the head is only about 0.025-0.030 thousands of an inch larger than the stock ones. So washers might be a better solution.

I also recommend running a tap through the holes with a drill. Some I just ran the screw in without tapping and they didn't feel like i could go as tight.

Last edited:
Installed the full aluminum motor mount on the granite to test this summer. The 6mm plate was still straight but it never really got to push it. In total it adds about 30-35grams. Only problem I had was it's a bit harder to reach the pinion grub screw.
IMG_20230226_142609.jpg

IMG_20230226_144452.jpg
I did end up lowering the pinion a bit more.
IMG_20230226_144515.jpg

IMG_20230226_145733.jpg

Installed the full aluminum motor mount on the granite to test this summer. The 6mm plate was still straight but it never really got to push it. In total it adds about 30-35grams. Only problem I had was it's a bit harder to reach the pinion grub screw. View attachment 281655
View attachment 281657I did end up lowering the pinion a bit more.View attachment 281658

View attachment 281656
Interesting, I’ve seen those over last couple years and always wondered if there were any good. I wonder how it will hold up when you start sending it… Nice to see you have a O ring around the end of the can. That’s always helped mine with hard landings. Also helps keep the end of the motor can from smashing into the chassis I’ve noticed. Happier.

Interesting, I’ve seen those over last couple years and always wondered if there were any good. I wonder how it will hold up when you start sending it… Nice to see you have a O ring around the end of the can. That’s always helped mine with hard landings. Also helps keep the end of the motor can from smashing into the chassis I’ve noticed. Happier.
I'm honestly not sure how it's going to hold. With the stock mount the plastic flexes so much that it lets the motor plate bend. With it being all aluminum it should support it to keep it from bending.

Now the only question is what quality of aluminum is it. If it's garbage I think it will still bend at the motor but probably not at the spur.

I'm honestly not sure how it's going to hold. With the stock mount the plastic flexes so much that it lets the motor plate bend. With it being all aluminum it should support it to keep it from bending.

Now the only question is what quality of aluminum is it. If it's garbage I think it will still bend at the motor but probably not at the spur.
I have never had any trouble with the stock plastic part of the mount. I run m2c mounts/brace on both my 4s builds and the new 6mm stock brace on a couple others. I’ve had the m2c mounts on six different 3 and 4s cars over the last 2.5 years with zero issues. I think that is the best upgrade for a 3s car, besides 6s shocks, and really shines in a 4s car. I’ve always looked at those full metal spur cases as additional weight. Plus, I have also questioned the quality of the aluminum like you have. Hopefully they work out for you…

I have never had any trouble with the stock plastic part of the mount. I run m2c mounts/brace on both my 4s builds and the new 6mm stock brace on a couple others. I’ve had the m2c mounts on six different 3 and 4s cars over the last 2.5 years with zero issues. I think that is the best upgrade for a 3s car, besides 6s shocks, and really shines in a 4s car. I’ve always looked at those full metal spur cases as additional weight. Plus, I have also questioned the quality of the aluminum like you have. Hopefully they work out for you…
Those M2C's are nice but would cost me around $120CND. To much for me.

I've cracked the plastic mount before, but the problem isn't with it breaking it's with it's flex. The mount flexes and the motor plate can't. Which is also part of why the ends of the slipper clutch crack.

The M2C's support the plate to stop it from flexing.

So after seeing how much more fun my lightweight notorious is then my Fireteam I decided to put er on a bit of a diet.
IMG_20230314_002829.jpg

Brought the weight down from 1032 grams to 670 grams

Would lose more if I removed the roof, front, and rear Panels but felt it needed those Panels to protect the Cage.

Also installed a Mojave dust cover to keep the crud out.

IMG_20230314_000936.jpg

IMG_20230314_001024.jpg

IMG_20230314_001341.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back