More Hobbywing Max6 Problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
You just can't make this sh!t up. You just can't.

So I received a brand new Max6 today as a warranty replacement for one that died on me about 6 weeks ago. I've detailed that here: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/max6-fan-issue-it’s-not-the-fan.11938/

I installed the Max6 into my Notorious with the same Hobbystar 4082 2000Kv motor that I had been running with the old Max6. When I went to calibrate the throttle I noticed that there weren't any beeps....just the flashing lights. I thought that was odd and it's the motor that provides the beeps anyway, right? So I move on. I set the punch to 4/5 and take it out to my ramps. Right off the get go the truck is cogging badly on the low end. It also doesn't have nearly the top end it had with the original Max6. I convince myself that there is no way there could be anything wrong with a brand new ESC. I finish the pack, the whole while thinking how poorly the truck is running.

I go inside and I just can't get rid of the feeling that something is f'd up. Why no beeps? Maybe the motor is f*cked. So I take the motor from the Notorious and put it into my Kraton. I turn on the Max6 in my Kraton and I get the 6 beeps I never got when it was connected to the brand new Max6. I take my Kraton outside and it runs great. No cogging and fast as f*ck. Ok. So now I take the 4092 1710 Kv motor that was in my Kraton and put it in my Notorious. I turn it on and it's as silent as a church mouse. I had to remove the side guard to get the motor to fit, lol. So I take it outside and run it. It runs like calcified dogsh!t. Cogging and no top end. That cements it for me. I got another bad Max6. I came inside and called my LHS and explained everything. He said to come by on Wednesday (they are closed tomorrow) and he will give me a new one. *Hopefully* that motherf*cker works.

I am really starting to doubt Hobbywing. I've had issues with my Max10 and now I've got two bad Max6's. The design of the Max6 also allows for the fan to get damaged when you jump your truck. I've been though 5 fans. There is no way I could recommend a Max6 as a replacement for the BLX185. I know many people run them without issue, but in my experience their QC is crap. When it comes time to replace my Talion's ESC, it won't be a Max6. I'll bite the bullet and spend the extra money for a Castle.

You can't make this sh!t up.

man that sucks :confused: I have a NIB max 6 that I have never used since I used the max 5's instead.

Lets get real here, you would have to recieve the faulty one out of every batch it seems. i use HW in all our Race 1/8's and in most of the bashers when the stocker gives up - i've only had one fail when i made a wire too short and it pulled the post.

I've used Max 5's in a xmaxx(when we had the Cr@ppy thing) and use XR8 plus escs in everything else... no issues.

anything 1/10 we pretty much use the xr8 SCT

That sucks.
You seem to be a magnet to bad Max 6s. Hopefully the replacement works just fine.

Both of my Hex 6's have been problem free (after fixing the fan breaking problem).

So how do you like the 4082. I have the Hexfly 6 and have not had one fan problem. "Strange"

I’m on my second Max6 but all I really had was no led indication. It still worked fine. The fan breaking issue is ridiculous, as I’ve lost count on how many I’ve replaced. This time I said screw it, and modified the cover to allow me to use some screen to protect it from debris damage. Not sure about damage from jumping yet, but wanted to fix one issue at a time.
You just can't make this sh!t up. You just can't.

So I received a brand new Max6 today as a warranty replacement for one that died on me about 6 weeks ago. I've detailed that here: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/max6-fan-issue-it’s-not-the-fan.11938/

I installed the Max6 into my Notorious with the same Hobbystar 4082 2000Kv motor that I had been running with the old Max6. When I went to calibrate the throttle I noticed that there weren't any beeps....just the flashing lights. I thought that was odd and it's the motor that provides the beeps anyway, right? So I move on. I set the punch to 4/5 and take it out to my ramps. Right off the get go the truck is cogging badly on the low end. It also doesn't have nearly the top end it had with the original Max6. I convince myself that there is no way there could be anything wrong with a brand new ESC. I finish the pack, the whole while thinking how poorly the truck is running.

I go inside and I just can't get rid of the feeling that something is f'd up. Why no beeps? Maybe the motor is f*cked. So I take the motor from the Notorious and put it into my Kraton. I turn on the Max6 in my Kraton and I get the 6 beeps I never got when it was connected to the brand new Max6. I take my Kraton outside and it runs great. No cogging and fast as f*ck. Ok. So now I take the 4092 1710 Kv motor that was in my Kraton and put it in my Notorious. I turn it on and it's as silent as a church mouse. I had to remove the side guard to get the motor to fit, lol. So I take it outside and run it. It runs like calcified dogsh!t. Cogging and no top end. That cements it for me. I got another bad Max6. I came inside and called my LHS and explained everything. He said to come by on Wednesday (they are closed tomorrow) and he will give me a new one. *Hopefully* that motherf*cker works.

I am really starting to doubt Hobbywing. I've had issues with my Max10 and now I've got two bad Max6's. The design of the Max6 also allows for the fan to get damaged when you jump your truck. I've been though 5 fans. There is no way I could recommend a Max6 as a replacement for the BLX185. I know many people run them without issue, but in my experience their QC is crap. When it comes time to replace my Talion's ESC, it won't be a Max6. I'll bite the bullet and spend the extra money for a Castle.

You can't make this sh!t up.
What Castle esc though? The MMX or MM2 don’t seem strong enough esc’s for a big heavy Arrma. The XLX Would be a pita to mount and it’s not waterproof. I still think the Max6 is the best choice for what we run.

Lets get real here, you would have to recieve the faulty one out of every batch it seems. i use HW in all our Race 1/8's and in most of the bashers when the stocker gives up - i've only had one fail when i made a wire too short and it pulled the post.

I've used Max 5's in a xmaxx(when we had the Cr@ppy thing) and use XR8 plus escs in everything else... no issues.

anything 1/10 we pretty much use the xr8 SCT
I ain't making it up. I'm being as real as it gets. I'm glad their stuff is working for you. One of their Max6's is for me. Two didn't. And I still think the Max10 SCT was borked but since it technically ran they said it was fine.
I’m on my second Max6 but all I really had was no led indication. It still worked fine. The fan breaking issue is ridiculous, as I’ve lost count on how many I’ve replaced. This time I said screw it, and modified the cover to allow me to use some screen to protect it from debris damage. Not sure about damage from jumping yet, but wanted to fix one issue at a time.

What Castle esc though? The MMX or MM2 don’t seem strong enough esc’s for a big heavy Arrma. The XLX Would be a pita to mount and it’s not waterproof. I still think the Max6 is the best choice for what we run.
I'll take my chances with an MMX. I run it in my Typhon without issue.

Last edited:
I ain't making it up. I'm being as real as it gets. I'm glad their stuff is working for you. One of their Max6's is for me. Two didn't. And I still think the Max10 SCT was borked but since it technically ran they said it was fine.

I'll take my chances with an MMX. I run it in my Typhon without issue.
I hear ya. I only say this because right on the website their specs claim up to a 15lbs set up including batteries. Which I gotta believe a Kraton with aluminum upgrades is right around.

other than kevin no tax tabolt i havnt seen anyone have any issues that cant be resolved under warranty.
a friend of ours had a Std hw SCT flip out and start cogging, he factory reset(didnt work) then updated firmware and all was good again

There is nothing wrong with your Max10 escs, it's the motor. You even said yourself that the motor still cogged with the BLX185 esc connected. KV down gear up and see what happens.

There is nothing wrong with your Max10 escs, it's the motor. You even said yourself that the motor still cogged with the BLX185 esc connected. KV down gear up and see what happens.
Ok, boss.

You probably tried this but how about switching two motor wires? Almost sounds like it’s running the reverse setting of 50% or so in forward. The esc can be switched to reverse the motor also. Did you try going full throttle reverse? If this is the case reverse will go like bananas and forward not so much.
Hope this is what’s up and not a bad esc.
Jim

You probably tried this but how about switching two motor wires? Almost sounds like it’s running the reverse setting of 50% or so in forward. The esc can be switched to reverse the motor also. Did you try going full throttle reverse? If this is the case reverse will go like bananas and forward not so much.
Hope this is what’s up and not a bad esc.
Jim
One of the first things I tried. Thanks for the suggestion though.

The only thing I like about the MAX6 is the switch. That's all. I have 2 brand new ones sitting on my bench. Now my MXLX is a real ESC with some huge gonads! And with the Castle link, you can make it do just about anything you want it to do. But, no switch :(

i've orderd 2 new Max 6's, i needed 1 for a new car but ill try both in several cars and motors. will post results.
But my guess results will be like 99.9% of others and the total 11 HW ESC's we have.

Just a reminder, especially everyone - not Every ESC works perfect with every Motor... e.g motor size vs Kv.. if you run outside the range it was made for it will cog bad..

Remember the max 6 is a 1/6esc designed to run big 58mm with low kv motors... and what is being complained about is someone is running a small 40mm motor and complaining they don't work properly :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I don’t own a hobbywing but I have 2 friends that have them one had a max6 the other had their racing one forgot the model. The max 6 went up in smoke and the racing one just failed and believe me they did not have more than 3 packs through them. And because they bought them just b4 winter the only thing hobbywing offered was a new one at 50% than Kevin Talbots max5 went up in smoke and the problems bickety is having I think I will just stick to the stock escs they are a lot cheaper and they stand up to the beatings I put them through

Take 2!
Sup. Cool to see you’ve bought a castle. My main truck weighs just over 16 pounds, and I haven’t had a heat issue with any castle products. I drive very hard. Now, from my understanding and experience, the MMX is a bit less powerful then the MM2’s I’ve been using (here’s a screenshot from years ago)
E46BF0B0-8CF6-46D6-A4A4-4D1343D1F876.png

More FET= MORE POWAH
Now the MMX is a lot more advanced though. Sensored capability and stuff. I bash with a partner who runs it in a talion. It runs consistently hotter than my old MM2 (It died from a jump after being ejected so I now use an extreme) but nothing major. He got it to 170 at the absolute maximum on the hottest day.

And to be honest I’d trace it down to the damn fan. I don’t like the 140f thing. My advice is to buy some fan that can plug into your receiver and run 24/7 (like MM2’s were set up) However, if you like the silence, keep it how it is. I just like sticking on the safe side.

Let us know how this one goes. Also I want everyone to know there’s a massive shortage of materials in Asia if you haven’t noticed, so many retails like castle @ home.castlecreations.com are completely out of stock, and in their case, for a little over 2 months. I’m pretty sure the mmx comes with a free castle link. The mm2’s and mmm’s did. If not, buy one. Literally a must have.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back