More Hobbywing Max6 Problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the limit is based on 8s (you would want 1500 or lower for that). I can't think of any reason why a hardier ESC couldn't run a 2000kv motor that the BLX185 can run on 6s.
Check out the HW site I’m not speculating, just as baffled as you.
E33E1821-320D-4835-B2AE-B26257BCA7C9.png

I wonder if it has something to do with the programming making it not play nice with higher KV motors.

both 6s and 8s specs of the Hex6.

I originally bought the 6s Hex6 because it was cheaper, but I wonder if it is a better choice for the 40xx series motors than the 8s version (Max6). I've got a 1480kv and 1730kv working just fine with both.

I wonder if it has something to do with the programming making it not play nice with higher KV motors.

both 6s and 8s specs of the Hex6.
View attachment 40110

I originally bought the 6s Hex6 because it was cheaper, but I wonder if it is a better choice for the 40xx series motors than the 8s version (Max6). I've got a 1480kv and 1730kv working just fine with both.
That looks more like the ratings of the max8 in the HW site.
BFAB719D-D42E-4162-A6EE-27F2C54A58ED.png

Yea, it is pretty close to the Max8 specs. They do make a Hex 8, but its $5 cheaper than the hex 6 6s.

I would assume the Hex6 6s is just a reprogrammed 8s version. I couldn't imagine them making a unique 6s board for just one of the rebrands. That would be a terrible manufacturing decision.

Got the replacement for my replacement and it ran great. I'll have a video tonight. It did enter thermal protection after about 20 minutes of jumping on my 45 degree ramp. I thought it was LVC but when I traded the manual it was thermal. I was basically done anyway so no big deal. I do t think I would raise the thermal protection to 257. That sounds insanely hot. Hell, 221 is wicked hot.

Got the replacement for my replacement and it ran great. I'll have a video tonight. It did enter thermal protection after about 20 minutes of jumping on my 45 degree ramp. I thought it was LVC but when I traded the manual it was thermal. I was basically done anyway so no big deal. I do t think I would raise the thermal protection to 257. That sounds insanely hot. Hell, 221 is wicked hot.
Hmmmmm. So this is the first time it happened to you? Which rig was this on? I talked with my lhs owner today and he had never really heard of the kv rating for the Max6 being issue running over 1500kv. But he did acknowledge that it’s listed that way. I asked about the max8 and he had one, but he had a hard time thinking the Max8 could do what the Max6 couldn’t. He thought bumping up the thermal cutoff was the thing to try. The thing is imo, it’s not that accurate, as multiple times now shutting off the esc and turning it back on, has made the green flashing led go off, and run fine. I’ve never temp’d it that high, but admit it could be different internally. He first asked me can’t you turn thermal protection off? I chuckled and said no, but some of the HW esc’s you can.

Hmmmmm. So this is the first time it happened to you? Which rig was this on? I talked with my lhs owner today and he had never really heard of the kv rating for the Max6 being issue running over 1500kv. But he did acknowledge that it’s listed that way. I asked about the max8 and he had one, but he had a hard time thinking the Max8 could do what the Max6 couldn’t. He thought bumping up the thermal cutoff was the thing to try. The thing is imo, it’s not that accurate, as multiple times now shutting off the esc and turning it back on, has made the green flashing led go off, and run fine. I’ve never temp’d it that high, but admit it could be different internally. He first asked me can’t you turn thermal protection off? I chuckled and said no, but some of the HW esc’s you can.
I asked my LHS about the Kv being to high for the Max6 and he said it shouldn't make any difference. This was the first time a Max6 has thermaled on me and it was on my Noto with the same motor toy have. I am running a 15t pinion and smallish tires (Shockwaves). I did get 20 min in before it happened.

The only time I've hit thermal was with busted fans.

The fan on my cut down Hex6 seems to move a lot more air than the stock fan. It is barely warm after a full run.

has there ever been a firmware update for the max 6 or max 5 esc’s? I just emailed hw support to inquire since the list doesn’t show an update for these esc’s.

@bicketybam do you have a usb link program card to link to computer?

I asked my LHS about the Kv being to high for the Max6 and he said it shouldn't make any difference. This was the first time a Max6 has thermaled on me and it was on my Noto with the same motor toy have. I am running a 15t pinion and smallish tires (Shockwaves). I did get 20 min in before it happened.
That’s cool, (not literally) lol
I’m running a 16t but I don’t think that’s affecting the esc at all. Only thing I can add at least for me is it is getting warmer outside, so that’s definitely a factor. This weekend I plan to get it out and run it hard to give it a good test. I’m down to my last fan, so I’m a bit worried. :) I usually always have 2 on hand. But I’ve eliminated debris damage with my screen. Now have to find a way to give it shock absorption.
has there ever been a firmware update for the max 6 or max 5 esc’s? I just emailed hw support to inquire since the list doesn’t show an update for these esc’s.

I did an update a couple weeks ago. It prompted me when I went into the programming set up. I use the HW wifi express, and a app on my iPhone.

It's my understanding that the Kv limits on an ESC are there due to the speed at which the FET,s used can switch. Higher Kv (higher RPM) means faster switching is required.

I don't have a card.

It's my understanding that the Kv limits on an ESC are there due to the speed at which the FET,s used can switch. Higher Kv (higher RPM) means faster switching is required.
Correcto. That said, it causes the esc to get hotter than it should and is the reason why some people manage to hit thermal in a small 8th scale truck despite being way overly qualified. It’s no big deal, if people are fine with their temps then that’s all them. Just about having fun anyway, and if that esc provides in your setup that’s all that matters.

I just checked the cells on the batteries I was using when it thermaled. After sitting overnight there were all between 3.6 and 3.62. That's as low as I like to run them anyway. I have the LVC set to intermediate. They don't tell you what level that is but if my cells were 3.2 after sitting overnight they must have been 3.5 or lower when it thermaled.

I didn't realize those ratings on esc's were RPM/switching related. I thought they were just suggestions due to current draw. Like you see in most cases where they list out the <= for each cell count, like the max10 sct 2S <=6000, 3s <=4000, 4S <=3000, to avoid running a high rpm motor and pulling too much current.

They also say the size of motor usually, like the the max6, the 6S 1500/8S 1200 is for a 5892. Bigger motors use more current. So it kind of made sense that you could run a higher kv if you ran a smaller motor. Like in @bicketybam's case, he's running a 4092/1730kv, which is a bit higher than the max kv on 6S, but it's a much smaller motor than the 5892 size they reference.

EDIT:
Ah, he's running a 2000kv in the notorious and the 1730kv in the kraton, both with the max6.

I'm just glad that I'm content with the BLX185/2000kv arrma system. I had to gear down from a 14T to 13T in my outcast, but it's still quick on 6S and plenty of fun. I have a couple other esc's to try if this one gives me heat issues this summer, MMv2 (rebadged traxxas) and MMv1 (rebadged HPI that I conformal coated from my savage fluxhp). Although, the only spare 1/8th motor I have is the hpi torque 2200kv from my flux.

Last edited:
I didn't realize those ratings on esc's were RPM/switching related. I thought they were just suggestions due to current draw. Like you see in most cases where they list out the <= for each cell count, like the max10 sct 2S <=6000, 3s <=4000, 4S <=3000, to avoid running a high rpm motor and pulling too much current.

They also say the size of motor usually, like the the max6, the 6S 1500/8S 1200 is for a 5892. Bigger motors use more current. So it kind of made sense that you could run a higher kv if you ran a smaller motor. Like in @bicketybam's case, he's running a 4092/1730kv, which is a bit higher than the max kv on 6S, but it's a much smaller motor than the 5892 size they reference.

EDIT:
Ah, he's running a 2000kv in the notorious and the 1730kv in the kraton, both with the max6.

I'm just glad that I'm content with the BLX185/2000kv arrma system. I had to gear down from a 14T to 13T in my outcast, but it's still quick on 6S and plenty of fun. I have a couple other esc's to try if this one gives me heat issues this summer, MMv2 (rebadged traxxas) and MMv1 (rebadged HPI that I conformal coated from my savage fluxhp). Although, the only spare 1/8th motor I have is the hpi torque 2200kv from my flux.
mxl 6s is killer. So much so it will destroy your stock motor with all the added power.
So will the hpi blur. You have 2 very good esc’s there!

Hey guys,I have a max 6 esc and it's giving me five green blinking lights.do any of you know what the fiddlestick is that about??I calibrated the endpoints, and it's not letting me do a reset.i have steering,and it gives me throttle for a millisecond,then back to blinking.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back