Kraton More information about thermal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NastyNate

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Typhon 6s
I am wondering if anyone can please share some information on the "thermal" protection that the esc does -

Does continued cycles of thermal instances shorten the lifespan of esc - motors - batteries ect.

I'm running in Alabama and during the day is a no go.

I am ordering fans for the kraton and typhon, as I can only run at night after the sun sets.

Thanks in advance.

I am wondering if anyone can please share some information on the "thermal" protection that the esc does -

Does continued cycles of thermal instances shorten the lifespan of esc - motors - batteries ect.

I am ordering fans for the kraton and typhon, as I can only run at night after the sun sets.

Thanks in advance.
How hot is it there? I’ve ran my rigs in 90+F in Ohio and rarely hit thermal unless I’m running overly large tires.

Thanks in advance.
Yes, electronics dot not like overheating multiple times. Get a smaller pinion or a max6 and you will be fine!

I have thermalled maybe twice in my life here in South Louisiana. I use 5000mah or so lipos so I'm usually lvc before I get too hot. I understand the attraction to high mah lipos but I'd rather buy 2x 4500-5000mah than one 7000+mah.

I'll take a SWAG here, and say that the "Thermal Protection" in the ESC is mostly for the benefit of the ESC. If you fry the ESC, it could blow the output transistors, which usually fail shorted, and that would dump the battery pack through the motor, probably burning up some or all of the windings.

You say "Thermal Incidents" which I take to mean you hit the shut-down limit in the ESC. Doing that repeatedly probably isn't good for the power system (Battery, ESC, and Motor) in the car. I hope you let things cool down completely before running it again.

As to causes, unless you're really pushing things hard, and swapping battery packs like crazy, I'd start looking for things that are binding in the drive train. Dirt packed into places it shouldn't be can block the cooling fins on the ESC, and the air inlets/outlets on the motor. Bad bearings will also cause drag and increased current flow, which heats things up.

Overheating any kind of electronics will shorten the lifespan of them. Put some fans on the motor and make sure the ESC fan is working.

I rarely run in the summertime as the temps stay in the 90's and I don't feel like sweating my ass off just to bash. Weather's finally cooling off here so it's time to go out again and break some parts.

Interesting information so far. I believe I'm going to go back to 12 tooth pinion and see how it goes. Currently running 14t with stock tires.

Everything in the truck is fresh as far as I know. I keep it clean after every run and visually inspect components.

Packs and electronics always cool after each run.

It's hot here. We continue to hit high 90s. I push the truck hard as well.... if I would crash it this wouldn't be an issue. My driving is improving quite nicely!

Thank you for the information gentleman.

I thermal my blx185 in my outcast pretty regularly with 6S, 13T pinion and strapped trenchers. Running at the grass bmx track, I typically hit thermal after about 15 minutes, then lvc 3-4 minutes later. Any time I try and temp the esc, it shows a max of 145F or so, so I kind of just don't care and will run it until it dies, then replace it with something a bit more capable like the max6.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back