More Power and Options , than skills ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rccar4life

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton EXB
  4. Mojave EXB
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon TLR
I have been thinking lately what the HE*L im doing.

I have 8s in all my 6s rigs. I can barely handle the 6s.
So why do i have 8s ?
Money waste and more stress to driveline and things.
More crashes., more ISSUES.

Why i am so stupid doing this ?

Then i go many times All or alot options before i break parts .
Why do i do this ?

I believe i have some Sickness about these things.

Alot money,. alot stupidy for nothing good.
Waisting time alot also, order special parts, mount them,
Maybe 50% of all option parts is really needet only.

From now i will stop do this stupid things.

I will stay with 6s, and only buy the options parts when stock is not good enough.

Drive it, test it before buy and spend crazy amount of money will be my future.
Stay with 6s and learn drive and handling the rigs like PRO before go 8s, that is never almost needed anyways in Offroad conditions.

I am not the only one doing stupid hop ups and 8s builds without reasons i think ?

Yea, good self advice. I just got my 1st 6s. I can honestly say I am not ready for an 8s! :eek::LOL:

So why do i have 8s ?

Why do i do this ?

I will stay with 6s, and only buy the options parts when stock is not good enough.

Stay with 6s and learn drive and handling the rigs like PRO before go 8s, that is never almost needed anyways in Offroad conditions.

I am not the only one doing stupid hop ups and 8s builds without reasons i think ?
Well look it as you paid some 'practice fee', we all pay some from time to time:ROFLMAO:.
You can use your 4s lipo's and run your cars also on 4s. With the right gearing and setup you'd be surprised how much fun you can still have with them. Then run them on 6s when you want the additional power.:cool:

So why do i have 8s ?

Why do i do this ?

Good post

It has a lot to do with the person, life experiences, and where we are at in life. I see it no different from a home, car, etc. if it's developed in you then we will strike a balance. We all have times where we let it loose and then need to bring it back in.

As for this hobby, I've learned and PM vets here to know if its creating stress in my life in whatever areas let's say $$$ for now then....it's not a hobby that's suppose to relax me :)

This post has me thinking now…..

Can I cram 12s into a 1/24? 🤔
DO IT!!!
too much to handle GIF by Dude Bro Party Massacre III

In my opinion it's because of the "relatively" low cost. Yes you can spend thousands on an RC car, but with those thousands your RC car is DECKED out to the max. Now spend thousands on a 1:1 race car, or motocross, or home upgrades, or take your pick, and you'll barely be getting started. RC's are cheap enough to mentally justify spending the money whenever you feel like it, but expensive enough to bug you.

It's all relative, I just read someone recently say the equestrian world makes our RC's look like a yo yo hobby, and that is so true.

So why do i have 8s ?

Why do i do this ?

+1
100% true.
I point this out to many all the time. Been there also, many many years ago. Doing RC for 35+ years in retrospect.
You are honest and giving very good advice here. 6s is all you need and runs best. More enjoyable. Drive and handle way better. More agile.
Even My TLRT Typhon runs best with only a 4s pack. 1/8 scale rigs were originally designed for 4s running on a track. How the 1/8 platform was originally designed. Drivetrain included.
Marketing is what pushes many to go with all the power. Running 1/5 scale electrics on 1/8 rigs makes no sense to me.:unsure:
You end up chasing a ghost, trying to $$Upgrade$$ the drivetrain that constantly breaks. Money better spent on that next rig you want. I rather not put all my apples in just one basket.
I rather drive more than having to Buy parts and wrench all the time because the diffs and all fail from being overpowered.
Dedicated speed running can be a different story. And still, many 8s setups actually run worse than a 6s setup.

Last edited:

Probably human nature. We're creatures built to live in environments of scarcity and now that many of us live in environments of practically infinite options wrt many facets of life, we have difficulty processing it all, making good decisions and regulating our will to grab as much as possible when we have the opportunity. See: The various self-inflicted health crises caused by excess consumption, high average levels of personal debt across society, etc..

To avoid excessive R/C spending and overbuilding I find it helpful to define exactly what I want a car to do, estimate how often I'll use it and how many spares I'll need throughout its life, then buy and build to these specifications. Then I try hard to resist the temptation to go further, only addressing minor concerns I may have missed in my original analysis. It doesn't always work - the will to more is very strong - but I'm a lot better than I used to be.

So why do i have 8s ?

Why do i do this ?

Yeah, whatever. You’re clearly infected with this sickness. You might stay clean for awhile, but then you’ll stumble upon something on the interweb, jump down that rabbit hole both feet first and before you know it your latest truck will be transformed. Not that that’s a bad thing, necessarily…. There are worse addictions. Have fun, and let the rest of us know if you find any good support groups.

Yeah, whatever. You’re clearly infected with this sickness. You might stay clean for awhile, but then you’ll stumble upon something on the interweb, jump down that rabbit hole both feet first and before you know it your latest truck will be transformed. Not that that’s a bad thing, necessarily…. There are worse addictions. Have fun, and let the rest of us know if you find any good support groups.
I always preferred the "head first" method. Every time I tried feet first I got stuck when I got to my armpits.
Prairie Dog Hole GIF

You own
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Fireteam
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton EXB
  6. Mojave EXB
  7. Outcast 8s
  8. Outcast 6s
  9. Outcast 4s
  10. Talion
  11. Typhon 6s
And you are just now figuring this out?
I think it’s safe to say he doesn’t jump to conclusions

Why do i do this ?

You've identified the problem, your next step will be to stop and think before you do it again.

Then, will you switch rigs back to 6S and sell stuff to make them reliable or keep everything the way it is and keep it going on 8S?

Or, like I've seen others do in other hobbies, get out of RC's, proclaim yourself "cured", and go do the same thing with something else?

I blame the internet. 15+ years ago no one thought I could be the fastest driver in the world if he can do it on YouTube, then so can I. I’ll just spend my way to being the best. And I think that’s hurt a lot of the creatives out there. They think up something awesome then see 12 others already did it better. And you might as well buy there‘s versus building something on your own. i may be a bit off topic sry,, but I don’t think so many would be destroying brand new rigs or rigs you spend months inventing one little part no one else has. Just cause some English bloke KT destroys brand new stuff for kicks making us think we need 12s and a 5’ skate ramp to send $2000-$3000 into a tree for us to be a proper basher. If your having fun jumping 1” or 10’ then your doing it right don’t let anyone tell you different.

I blame the internet. 15+ years ago no one thought I could be the fastest driver in the world if he can do it on YouTube, then so can I. I’ll just spend my way to being the best. And I think that’s hurt a lot of the creatives out there. They think up something awesome then see 12 others already did it better. And you might as well buy there‘s versus building something on your own. i may be a bit off topic sry,, but I don’t think so many would be destroying brand new rigs or rigs you spend months inventing one little part no one else has. Just cause some English bloke KT destroys brand new stuff for kicks making us think we need 12s and a 5’ skate ramp to send $2000-$3000 into a tree for us to be a proper basher. If your having fun jumping 1” or 10’ then your doing it right don’t let anyone tell you different.
There's a principle in music production that I believe is applicable to most any other activity - limited options boost creativity and effort. When presented with a limitless wall of product a phenomenon called option paralysis sets in. Furthermore it leads us to believe that we can option our way out of something that has something fundamentally wrong with it rather than addressing what is fundamentally wrong. The old adage "Less is More" is a trueism of sorts.
Most of the people who dedicate their lives to hopping from one spending treadmill to the next seem happier than I, so maybe there's something to it and my efforts toward restraint and asceticism are misguided.
I believe the key phrase here is "seem happier". I think the reasonable question is, "Are they really though?".

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back