Mojave More power more things break?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rog

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Talion
Looking to add 1717 1260 geared up mostly so I don't have to worry about cooling. Wanted to put it in my talion or mojave. Not sure if it's worth it though. Looking at 400$ for all that with the pps mount. Feel like I'm just adding power for more things to break. Plus the additional weight. I had stock system with fans that lasted about a year.

You can always drop a few teeth on the pinion to cool the motor. Unpopular opinion around here, but that does work, most of the time. I run various 4074/4075/4269 motors in my 1/8 Arrma's, and don't have a fan or heat sink in any of them. The only time I have thermal issues is on 95f days that I run hard, but when the truck thermals, on those days, I am pretty close to thermal'ing myself... Yeah, I lose a few MPH on the top end, but I am still fast enough to break stuff... LOL

On the other hand, if you just want to OP it, then make OP, not excuses. OP it, run it, break it, and have fun with it! :cool:

Yeah that was the idea big motor but geared low. But after thinking about it stock motor geared low would still be lighter than the big 1717, and run a bit cooler.

I found my HW 4985 motor ran consistently hotter on an 18t pinion than a 20t 🤔 I'm thinking it's because it spent more time at the top end of the RPMs. It's wasn't taking advantage of the extra torque it was best at

And yeah, more power more breakages, but if you're good at modulating the throttle you should be alright 👍

I run my mojave with a castle 1717 and max 5 on 8s and I would say the mojave it the toughest car I own... my kraton 8s exb I have spent no less than 160€ to fix evert time I take it out... to the point after only using it 5 times I have spent the same fixing it as I have buying it..

I run my mojave on the max6/4985 combo but another great option for motors is the hobbystar 4092 in 1480 or 1730kv. I run them in the rest of my 6s rigs with the max 6 and they are awesome.

Anyone run the 1260kv geared up on 6s? How are the temps?

I have the same motor in my 1/8 EXB with a 22 tooth pinion. With a small fan blowing on the motor it never over heats.

I realize this is dated. I’ve got a castle 1717 1260kv w mamba monster x 8s in a 8th scale kraton and I got it geared where I want with a practical prototype motor mount. I just picked up a mojave exb and thinking of using the same combo. Has anyone done it and what was your hearing? Would I be better off with the 1650kv motor?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back