Kraton More power

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok brothers.. Since my kraton v4 build 1.0 is almost done.... I'm looking for recommendations for upgrading the esc and motor. Like to stay 6s but not against going 8s. I appropriate all input❤???
Out of my knowledge base, but I'm sure there are tons of opinions. Any reason you don't think the BLX 185 will do the job?

Out of my knowledge base, but I'm sure there are tons of opinions. Any reason you don't think the BLX 185 will do the job?
It's way heavier than before brother! And I was building this for serious bashing! If it breaks... I'll figure it out. Nothing is indestructible but want it as bullet proof as possible!,???

Max6 / 4092 or HW 4985 combo... plenty of guys on here with those combos..???

I'm about to run a Max6 / 4092 1650kv setup in my heavily modded Kraton, it was pretty impressive with that motor and a max8 so lets see how it goes with the Max6...?

From the posts on here it looks as though the beast setup is the HW 4985/Max6 combo..!! ???

Only been in the rig for a few days but so far I'm loving the max 6 w 4985 1650kv combo. For me it accomplished my goals which were to increase power and smoothness while maintaining temps. It's pretty dang powerful even with punch set to 2/5. I will say though that the current gen blx185 is imo quite good I'm definitely not getting rid of mine. I really didn't neeeeeed to make the swap but your know how it goes.

I can already tell I need to start stocking up on diff comments though - in particular the input gear and the 43t. Also esc fans because esc fans are all garbage. Luckily where I live I could probably just get away without using one most of the time.

Here’s a thought, the stock 2050kv motor is pretty good. Have you thought of just swapping the ESC first? Maybe a Max 6 or MM2 to get started. Then if that’s not enough punch, grab a killer motor later.

Here’s a thought, the stock 2050kv motor is pretty good. Have you thought of just swapping the ESC first? Maybe a Max 6 or MM2 to get started. Then if that’s not enough punch, grab a killer motor later.
He would need to change the bullet connectors on the motor. They are too small for a Max6. Not sure about the MM2 though. I'm not sure what benefit he would get from upgrading the ESC. I could have sworn I read that there really isn't any. I'm honestly not sure. I'd go with one of the 4092 Hobbystar motors. They aren't all that expensive and if you run fans they stay somewhat cool.

He would need to change the bullet connectors on the motor. They are too small for a Max6. Not sure about the MM2 though. I'm not sure what benefit he would get from upgrading the ESC. I could have sworn I read that there really isn't any. I'm honestly not sure. I'd go with one of the 4092 Hobbystar motors. They aren't all that expensive and if you run fans they stay somewhat cool.
The Max6 and MM2 both can push more amps than the BLX185 ESC. The motor can take them too. Connectors being charged is just part of the hobby. If you can’t swap connectors, have someone at the LHS take care of it. Don’t let a connector keep you from upgrading. ??

The Max6 and MM2 both can push more amps than the BLX185 ESC. The motor can take them too. Connectors being charged is just part of the hobby. If you can’t swap connectors, have someone at the LHS take care of it. Don’t let a connector keep you from upgrading. ??
So what kind of performance gains would he see? I ran a BLX185 with the BLX 100 motor and I couldn't tell any difference. It was rather disappointing. The truck still cogged with a 20 tooth pinion. This was in my granite.

Considering how short the wires on the 2050kv, you would have to make extensions anyway, so 4mm to 6mm, or whatever they are, if you stick with the stock motor.

I was contemplating doing the same, sticking with the stock motor, but getting the max6. I still thermal my blx185 running at the grass skate park and I'd like to run 1 tooth higher on the pinion than I do now, but if I do that with the BLX185, it overheats within 12-13 minutes there. Does fine at the skate park, but I don't want to be switching pinions to suit each bash area. I just want to throw in packs and go where ever I can that day.

So what kind of performance gains would he see? I ran a BLX185 with the BLX 100 motor and I couldn't tell any difference. It was rather disappointing. The truck still cogged with a 20 tooth pinion. This was in my granite.
I’m about to find out ? I just bought a MM2 Retro (no amp limit) and am waiting on my XT150 connectors and my Ripple Killer cap pack. I’m so close to finishing this Typhon 6S build I can taste it. I’m hoping the MM2 gives me an addition 10-15mph if the advice given me is correct. Let’s just say it comes from many of the seasoned speed runner guys here. I will be putting it all to the test soon. ??

As far as benefits from stronger ESCs I feel that you only see in a specific scenario where you are running at the peak load. For bashing this may be a "feel" during bursts of power. Also a very heavy rig and or heavy/large tires could see this more often. I will say the BLX 185 has been a great ESC and has always impressed me.

If you are experiencing cogging at low speeds adjust the start power to high on the Castle software. (PC with USB connector or B-Link method)
I don't believe this is an available option with HW escs though...

I had a Max5 esc with a large 58XX leopard motor and had almost zero cogging. I'm not sure if that is a benefit over the Max6? I have not used the Max6 yet.

-Liberty

I can run at virtually crawler speeds on the max 6 4985 with 20t pinion so it's definitely nice and smooth. But honestly I never cogged on the stock setup either. The mm2 retro is fantastic for speed runs for sure that's what we had in the x01 back in the day during our attempts I believe. If you do swap escs only just make sure you do not cut the motor wires when creating the extension/bullet adaptor. I could be wrong but I think the stock motor windings extend into the wires and changing the length prior to the connectors might screw it up or at the very least be very difficult to solder well.

I can run at virtually crawler speeds on the max 6 4985 with 20t pinion so it's definitely nice and smooth. But honestly I never cogged on the stock setup either. The mm2 retro is fantastic for speed runs for sure that's what we had in the x01 back in the day during our attempts I believe. If you do swap escs only just make sure you do not cut the motor wires when creating the extension/bullet adaptor. I could be wrong but I think the stock motor windings extend into the wires and changing the length prior to the connectors might screw it up or at the very least be very difficult to solder well.
I thought the issue was heat would desolder the wires at the motor?

I could be wrong but I think the stock motor windings extend into the wires and changing the length prior to the connectors might screw it up or at the very least be very difficult to solder well.
Most motor wires have enamel coatings on them that have to be stripped before they can be soldered.
Length shouldn't be an issue other than reaching the ESC.

Most motor wires have enamel coatings on them that have to be stripped before they can be soldered.
Length shouldn't be an issue other than reaching the ESC.
Yeah and in my experience having been forced to do that on one of my quads one time it is miserable to get a good result if it's more than like a 22ga group of wires you need to strip and solder.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back