Mojave More questions from a NEWBIE ---- need your feedback

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in Des Moines! Cold and snowy here today.
o_O Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! Arrrrrgghh!!!!!

Have to say I don't miss it..... A few clouds and 77 degrees in NC mountains........ (sorry) Just got back from the Ocean last week.....low 80's (again...sorry)

o_O Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! Arrrrrgghh!!!!!

Have to say I don't miss it..... A few clouds and 77 degrees in NC mountains........ (sorry) Just got back from the Ocean last week.....low 80's (again...sorry)

Not fair! I travel for work and literally everywhere has better weather than Iowa. LOL???❄?

Not fair! I travel for work and literally everywhere has better weather than Iowa. LOL???❄?

Dakota (North and South), Minnesota, Wisconsin, CANADA..... they all are challenging......Also, forgot to say my sister graduated from Drake University, have a cousin in Urbandale...... man..... snow already.......

Have any good places to run your RC's there?

Last edited:
I highly highly recommend SMC batteries. They are all I use for my trucks. From crawlers to my Kraton and soon Mojave ?? get powered by SMC. Prices are a bit higher than what everyone else is suggesting but customer service and the performance of the batteries is just great!! I had one go bad from using it to the lvc and I called them up and I had a replacement in the mail by the next day!

I highly highly recommend SMC batteries. They are all I use for my trucks. From crawlers to my Kraton and soon Mojave ?? get powered by SMC. Prices are a bit higher than what everyone else is suggesting but customer service and the performance of the batteries is just great!! I had one go bad from using it to the lvc and I called them up and I had a replacement in the mail by the next day!
I recently inquired about batteries.....SMC rounds out my very short list - thanx

Danny from SMC is a member here and told a few of us that our puffy packs were our problem to deal with and wouldn’t warranty them. All we did was put them in a rig and run them. My 4S 5000mah Premium V2 puffed so big that I threw it 20ft away from my van because I honestly expected it to flame on. It tripled in size after a 10 min run in my Typhon 6s. Very scary. Others here have had theirs burst into flames lately too. I can remember at least four videos that got posted here.
I recently inquired about batteries.....SMC rounds out my very short list - thanx
Recheck that list. SMC is overpriced junk. Save the money and buy some Amazon packs for less and they won’t puff up or worse. If you want really quality, there are plenty of others like Turnigy, CNHL, Liperior, etc.

I too was very surprised when I had a cell die from.just running to LVC. I can see that Arrma could have the LVC set a bit low but it shouldnt cause damage to the batteries. I have a LVA now to avoid these issues. Maybe I should rethink my battery purchases...hmmm

Danny from SMC is a member here and told a few of us that our puffy packs were our problem to deal with and wouldn’t warranty them. All we did was put them in a rig and run them. My 4S 5000mah Premium V2 puffed so big that I threw it 20ft away from my van because I honestly expected it to flame on. It tripled in size after a 10 min run in my Typhon 6s. Very scary. Others here have had theirs burst into flames lately too. I can remember at least four videos that got posted here.

Recheck that list. SMC is overpriced junk. Save the money and buy some Amazon packs for less and they won’t puff up or worse. If you want really quality, there are plenty of others like Turnigy, CNHL, Liperior, etc.
jondilly.......I have always respected your input...... that continues to be the case....THANX FOR SHARING THESE FACTS WITH ME
I wish Liperior had higher maH batteries....if they are the ones Im thinking of.....have heard good things about Turnigy, will look at CNHL

jondilly.......I have always respected your input...... that continues to be the case....THANX FOR SHARING THESE FACTS WITH ME
I wish Liperior had higher maH batteries....if they are the ones Im thinking of.....have heard good things about Turnigy, will look at CNHL
One word of caution when buying lipos... check the dimensions before buying. It sounds obvious, but on a few occasions I’ve bought without checking. My Liperior 6S is MASSIVE.

385993D2-94BF-4206-BC32-59D30E56C7C4.jpeg

Hey all, I didn't read all the replies, so forgive any repeated info. I just wanted to give me 2c.

My LHS said they have the V2 Mojave slated for late November 2020, and they are usually spot on with those things, I guess they have documentation on expected arrivals and such.

I currently have a Granite, V4 Kraton and Felony. And I'll be picking up my Mojave EXB next week all things going right. For a bit of reassurance for ya, I hope, Had I known what I know now, after returning to the hobby 20 years later, the first car I woulda picked up woulda been the Mojave. I am not into the Huge Duperbash/RC Dude/Talbot kinda "Send its". I really enjoy the driving aspect of these cars with 'mild' 10-15 foot high sends. The Mojave should fit that build to the T, plus its a widely known tank. I do believe my Mojave and Felony will be my main cars for the foreseeable future. Also don't forget to get the Scorched RC inner fenders for the Mojave. Here's a thread with some impressive photos of them doin their job https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/scorched-rc-mojave-inner-fenders-review.28950/#post-401992

As for the Telemetry...
I Swapped the Kraton ESC with the 150a Smart Spektrum Esc, I also put the Spektrum Smart 6100At Rx, 2x 3S 5000mAh Spektrum smart batteries, all bundled with the Spektrum Smart DX5C TX.
I gotta say, I love having the telemetry stuff. I don't use it ALL the time but I really like tweaking with the AVC(vastly different setting for the Kraton vs Felony), and especially seeing temps(bat/esc and motor) and super especially my mAh consumed so far. The best part about the telem for me is the quick reference of the state of the electronics, and so I can be conscious of the walk back to the car and the battery life left. We all know lugging a depleted RC back to the far away parked car... sucks LOL. I haven't figured out the roll-out stuff for the speed telemetry but its there, and I can use it... once I learn how... :unsure:. Once you know your roll out its apparently super accurate, it has G-Force readouts, motor RPM displays and a ton of other sweet info. I also really like that I can see the charge on EACH cell in my batteries (down to 0.000v) and it even gives me their imbalance difference on the overall battery page as well as the individual battery pages. It also has a page for a single 6s if you run those as well.

TLDR: F*ck yeah mojave, and F*ck yeah spektrum smart telemetry!(y)(y):D:D

Last edited:
My LHS said they have the V2 Mojave slated for late November 2020, and they are usually spot on with those things, I guess they have documentation on expected arrivals and such.
a

I was just about to order my Mojave this week and you drop this on me? Looks like Im gonna wait another few weeks! Haha

@Wildvoodoomagic Don't quote me on it lol?. Though if you can I would recommend getting the EXB instead. I cant imagine the V2 will be better/surpass the EXB... other than having electronics pre-installed. either way you wont be disappointed

I could be easily wrong in this but it seems like a bad business move imo...thinkin more on it, if the plan is to make the EXBs the base line platform that could work...???

Hey all, I didn't read all the replies, so forgive any repeated info. I just wanted to give me 2c.

I currently have a Granite, V4 Kraton and Felony. And I'll be picking up my Mojave EXB next week all things going right. For a bit of reassurance for ya, I hope, Had I known what I know now, after returning to the hobby 20 years later, the first car I woulda picked up woulda been the Mojave. I am not into the Huge Duperbash/RC Dude/Talbot kinda "Send its". I really enjoy the driving aspect of these cars with 'mild' 10-15 foot high sends. The Mojave should fit that build to the T, plus its a widely known tank. I do believe my Mojave and Felony will be my main cars for the foreseeable future. Also don't forget to get the Scorched RC inner fenders for the Mojave. Here's a thread with some impressive photos of them doin their job https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/scorched-rc-mojave-inner-fenders-review.28950/#post-401992

As for the Telemetry...
I Swapped the Kraton ESC with the 150a Smart Spektrum Esc, I also put the Spektrum Smart 6100At Rx, 2x 3S 5000mAh Spektrum smart batteries, all bundled with the Spektrum Smart DX5C TX.
I gotta say, I love having the telemetry stuff. I don't use it ALL the time but I really like tweaking with the AVC(vastly different setting for the Kraton vs Felony), and especially seeing temps(bat/esc and motor) and super especially my mAh consumed so far. The best part about the telem for me is the quick reference of the state of the electronics, and so I can be conscious of the walk back to the car and the battery life left. We all know lugging a depleted RC back to the far away parked car... sucks LOL. I haven't figured out the roll-out stuff for the speed telemetry but its there, and I can use it... once I learn how... :unsure:. Once you know your roll out its apparently super accurate, it has G-Force readouts, motor RPM displays and a ton of other sweet info. I also really like that I can see the charge on EACH cell in my batteries (down to 0.000v) and it even gives me their imbalance difference on the overall battery page as well as the individual battery pages. It also has a page for a single 6s if you run those as well.

Hey, I was considering the Spektrum ESC motor combo for a Kraton EXB build because I specifically wanted to be able to monitor the motor temp while running. Are you able to see the motor temp on your transmitter?
I tried to look up whether the Smart telemetry system also showed the motor temp, but couldn't find anything mentioning it did.

You can do it with the plug in or wrap around the motor. The TX has pages, slots on pages for motor temps and the 6100at and 6110at both have ports for temps and other telems.

There is no motor temp sensor. ESC temp only on Spektrum.

Yes, that's what I thought and I got excited when he mentioned motor temp. lol

You can do it with the plug in or wrap around the motor. The TX has pages, slots on pages for motor temps and the 6100at and 6110at both have ports for temps and other telems.

Ah, ok. Which plug-in did you buy? I also tried to look for a Spektrum temp sensor but couldn't find one, at least not on amainhobbies.

Last edited:

@Jon NC RC Newbie I retract my reccomendation of SMC batteries. Had one almost blow up on me about 15mins ago. I do not reccomend. I will not be purchasing SMC anymore. This is the second pack that has puffed...the first was nowhere close to this one.

20201023_165810.jpg

@Jon NC RC Newbie I retract my reccomendation of SMC batteries. Had one almost blow up on me about 15mins ago. I do not reccomend. I will not be purchasing SMC anymore. This is the second pack that has puffed...the first was nowhere close to this one.

View attachment 106007
Yep that’s SMC for you. Mine looked even puffier than that if you believe it. Mine was a 4S and tripled in size.

OMG....... thanx for sharing.....don't need that !!!!

As for the Telemetry...

My expected purchase date has been delayed, so....... if there is a v2....... initially should've been ordering now....but now, by the end of the year at the latest (I HOPE).....unless something really weird happens.....will see.... .

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back