More than meets the eye with Radiolink, DumboRC, and any of the Radiolink copycat transmitter/receivers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
I'm sure many of you know that DumboRC is or thought DumboRC was a copycat of Radiolink. Well, actually they are a subsidiary of Radiolink. https://www.radiolink.com/DUMBORC

This really means that Radiolink units should have as fast of response time as DumboRC does. The only other possibility is that they use different CPU's or more streamlined code to decrease processing time.

But here is where the fun begins and the real reason for the title, If you use or have a Radiolink, DumboRC, or other copycat receivers (I'll use the R6FG / X6FG as an example) and you remove the plastic housing. If you see a module circuit board like
1629893404309.png
this one labeled 3081st2v11. Then you have a reciever with a Texaas Instruments CC2500 1mw 100 meter SPI communication transciever. From what I can find so far at least is that the transmitter has a different module in it, probably higher power longer range, but still the same chip. The importance of this is that if you modify the code on the reciever and transmitters control chip you could get telemetry, you'd have to ad sensors too. The other option would be a new control chip board in the transmitter and reciever to add more info. To the telemetry, and possibly for very cheap other than time.

And thanks to the team that is working on the Multiprotocol TX module mainly for aircraft, here is a chart of some of the systems that use the CC2500 transciever
Protocol NameProtocol NumberSub_Proto 0Sub_Proto 1Sub_Proto 2Sub_Proto 3Sub_Proto 4Sub_Proto 5Sub_Proto 6Sub_Proto 7RF Module
Corona37COR_V1COR_V2FD_V3CC2500
FrskyD3D8ClonedCC2500
FrskyL67LR12LR12 6CHCC2500
FrskyV25CC2500
FrskyX15CH_16CH_8EU_16EU_8ClonedCloned_8CC2500
FrskyX264CH_16CH_8EU_16EU_8ClonedCloned_8CC2500
Frsky_RX55MultiCloneTXEraseTXCPPMCC2500
Futaba/SFHSS21SFHSSCC2500
Hitec39OPT_FWOPT_HUBMINIMACC2500
HoTT57SyncNo_SyncCC2500
RadioLink74SurfaceAirDumboRCCC2500
Scanner54CC2500

Since dumboRC TX/RX combos are touted as being the best cheap almost no lag units out there, it may be possible to reflash the control chip of Radiolink controllers to make them just as fast and still offer more features including possibly adding telemetry to a controller that might not have it by default.

Or perhaps like my case, I have an Old Futaba T3PK that I could modify to work with radiolink / dumboRc receivers instead of being locked down to the old FASST transmitter module that I have and the $50 per receiver. Sure the old 3PK can't do telemetry, but I could add in a sub-controller chip that takes in the Futaba PPm signal and talks with the RX, then any telemetry data sent back to the tx could be shown on a secondary display or just data logged on to an sd card.

As for the options of making custom control boards for a TX or RX it would open the ability to make relatively cheap feature-packed tx's with a lot of telemetry data similar to the Taranis or other really nice controllers for the air craft sector out hobby.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back