most durable input gear cups for bashing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One can’t just say “stronger.” It comes down to different properties like the graph showed above. FWIW, David at Scorched says his titanium drive cups are “stronger and lighter” than steel, but that they wear more quickly and will be replaced more often.
EDIT:
He bases this, quite honestly, on the fact that the hardened steel drive pins lead to premature grooving in the titanium cups. This is the same reason that Formula 1 teams, where cost is no object (and everyone else for that matter) don’t use titanium gears in transmissions. But in non impact applications, such as the use of titanium for crankshafts, the benefits of the strength and weight savings of Ti can’t really be beat. It just depends on the application. In most scenarios Ti is used merely to save weight by replacing steel in appropriate situations, not because it is stronger than hardened steels, which it is not.
FWIW, I once entertained the notion of replacing all non-stretching fasteners in my Ducati with Ti. I was shocked that just replacing external steel screws in my bike would save almost 5KG! NCR made a kit. They also made an internal engine kit including crankshaft, valves, etc. that saved an additional 7KG. When I saw the price I decided it made infinitely more sense to just eat a lot more salads and buy a very nice used car (or brand new Hyundai) instead.

Last edited:
S

I‘d definately install Scorched titinium skid if I had a Limitless (Or Infraction).
I’d do this 👇 all day long (and probably changing tires🤣).
Formula 1 Racing GIF by Aston Martin F1 Team
😏

20230121_161830.jpg

No trolling allowed here .it's not nice ..

I can't explain.how or why but we had a hard time bending the titanium at work.i work for the government Navy.we build Nuclear submarines..I can not say what type it is or anything else that is policy but I would imagine the stock we get is not like what you buy in your local home Depot .if they even carry titanium..listen I understand videos and numbers proove that steel is stronger but what I see at work makes me think otherwise.
Yes too many numbers can make someone head explode 🤣🤣🤣

Must be those extra fresh tempered titanium plates for them fancy fast attack Uboats you be playing with then...
Not those leftover peasant-grade Ti stock from TaylorMade golf clubs , I'm guessing.

United states does not build u-boats.that would be the Germans..united states builds the best nuclear subs.and I don't play with them .not a toy.i take my work seriously.again I can not explain what we do or see at work.all jokes aside I responded to this thread with the knowledge and experience from what I have seen at work.we use state of the art technology and materials.like some have never seen .I'm not a engineer nor do I make the material.so I can't say what kind of titanium we use or what's in it.ill leave it at that note.as for golf clubs lol never even held one in my hand ..I rather hold a nice basketball or soccer ball or football before I ever even attempt swinging a golf club..maybey when I'm 60 I'll try.

United states does not build u-boats.that would be the Germans..united states builds the best nuclear subs.and I don't play with them .not a toy.i take my work seriously.again I can not explain what we do or see at work.all jokes aside I responded to this thread with the knowledge and experience from what I have seen at work.we use state of the art technology and materials.like some have never seen .I'm not a engineer nor do I make the material.so I can't say what kind of titanium we use or what's in it.ill leave it at that note.as for golf clubs lol never even held one in my hand ..I rather hold a nice basketball or soccer ball or football before I ever even attempt swinging a golf club..maybey when I'm 60 I'll try.

The secret sauce in them titanium...
They will Never divulge the percentage of the mixture or processes. 😎

I use these,torture tested no issues,can handle whatever ya can throw at them,not even worn.big 2.5mm grub screw

View attachment 271648
100s of hits,fast as 162mph.been through many titanium an steel shafts.car destroys pins on all shafts...have taken 15000w or 20hp hits,
bro, do u know if these will fit combined on the limitless v1 spool shaft?

I imagine they would,instead of paying 30ish $$ for 2 of those I'd just buy 1 of these spools from ramjam...Great spool for cheap

View attachment 272818
bro the shipping is to expensive for that. i am fine with stock shaft.
also i don't think titanium is any good for speed bashing.
just for speedruns (less rotating mass)
but it will NEVER be the same hardend as the hardend steel cups.

bro the shipping is to expensive for that. i am fine with stock shaft.
also i don't think titanium is any good for speed bashing.
just for speedruns (less rotating mass)
but it will NEVER be the same hardend as the hardend steel cups.
Shipping is free,these are WAY better than stock..8mm shaft,spacers,ceramic bearings..bearings are 12$ by themselves.much better for bashing,speed ,everything..2.5mm grubs that won't wobble or come off like cheap stock crap..cost less than stock junk...have a spur,or cup come off an smack a curb with stock
Here's a 8mm shaft with 8mm cups vs stock arrma with 5mm cups.stock shafts have 1 little flat spot for spur,8mm shafts have flat spot entire length.8mm cups spin tru..huge upgrade

16746148963324005918182756998395.jpg

Last edited:
I
Shipping is free,these are WAY better than stock..8mm shaft,spacers,ceramic bearings..bearings are 12$ by themselves.much better for bashing,speed ,everything..2.5mm grubs that won't wobble or come off like cheap stock crap..cost less than stock junk...have a spur,or cup come off an smack a curb with stock
Here's a 8mm shaft with 8mm cups vs stock arrma with 5mm cups.stock shafts have 1 little flat spot for spur,8mm shafts have flat spot entire length.8mm cups spin tru..huge upgrade

View attachment 272870
I am based im germany.
Never had any issue with loosen spur/cup and always only use blue locktite.
I just clean everything with brake cleaner and let it dry 24 hours.
Never loose any screw and can open screw easily without burn the parts before😏

View attachment 272870
Titanium bearings don't last long, specially not for speed bashing lol

even the cost of titanium says it all .it costs more for a reason .

It costs more because compared to steel, it is relatively hard to process from an ore to a metal and comprises 0.5% of the earth's crust compared to 5% for iron ore.

Titanium is a fantastic material in a specific set of circumstances. Whilst he goes on a bit, the bloke from Promodeler has an excellent piece on titanium servo gears that explains the pros and cons of the material pretty well:

https://www.promodeler.com/askJohn/Is-titanium-the-best-for-gears

I

I am based im germany.
Never had any issue with loosen spur/cup and always only use blue locktite.
I just clean everything with brake cleaner and let it dry 24 hours.
Never loose any screw and can open screw easily without burn the parts before😏

Titanium bearings don't last long, specially not for speed bashing lol
Gonna have to agree with what what is said here
It costs more because compared to steel, it is relatively hard to process from an ore to a metal and comprises 0.5% of the earth's crust compared to 5% for iron ore.

Titanium is a fantastic material in a specific set of circumstances. Whilst he goes on a bit, the bloke from Promodeler has an excellent piece on titanium servo gears that explains the pros and cons of the material pretty well:

https://www.promodeler.com/askJohn/Is-titanium-the-best-for-gears
Don't believe I needed to be quoted .I did not state the reason why titanium costs more than steel because any one that has access to the web can easily view the easy answer..the answer you provided is correct.good job👍

Last edited:
I personally don't have any rigs with them but at my lhs plenty of guys that use them and I hear no complaints.if I do I'll post what they say
Stay with high grade standard steel bearings (ABEC 5 or better) or upgrade to ceramic hybrid bearing sets. Titanium has no benefit, especially over ceramic hybrids. Most agree that Ti is not a suitable material for bearings unless they operate under water.

Stay with high grade standard steel bearings (ABEC 5 or better) or upgrade to ceramic hybrid bearing sets. Titanium has no benefit, especially over ceramic hybrids. Most agree that Ti is not a suitable material for bearings unless they operate under water.
Thank you I'll keep that in mind .for now I'm actually happy with stock arrma bearings.no issues yet .I maintain them well .I also believe the reason why I have good luck with my stock ones is because I only do speed passes and never run on off road .so dirt or water does not get in them that easy ..they do get dusty but I clean mine after every run ..kinda like doing it ..🤟😁👍

Thank you I'll keep that in mind .for now I'm actually happy with stock arrma bearings.no issues yet .I maintain them well .I also believe the reason why I have good luck with my stock ones is because I only do speed passes and never run on off road .so dirt or water does not get in them that easy ..they do get dusty but I clean mine after every run ..kinda like doing it ..🤟😁👍
Perfect. Even cheap bearings can last a long time if properly maintained. I’m not as good at it as I should be with my off road bashers. So I end up replacing them a couple times a year.

No trolling allowed here .it's not nice ..

I can't explain.how or why but we had a hard time bending the titanium at work.i work for the government Navy.we build Nuclear submarines..I can not say what type it is or anything else that is policy but I would imagine the stock we get is not like what you buy in your local home Depot .if they even carry titanium..listen I understand videos and numbers proove that steel is stronger but what I see at work makes me think otherwise.
Yes too many numbers can make someone head explode 🤣🤣🤣
I am willing to bet that the titanium used by the US military is of much higher standard than anything available commercially. That being said we have to go by the listed numbers and videos to show what commercially available titanium is going to be like compared to commercially available steel which our rc parts are going to be made from because I highly doubt any of these guys are going to be using US military grade titanium.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back