Most fun old RC cars you have drive ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is starter box too .. original box and it still works! I might have had to change the wheel once. Mine is the short shaft engine - no pull start.
Likewise short shaft engine. Non-pull version. You never saw racers with pull start engines. I never did. Nowadays I guess PS is more common?
Actually I think nitro is dead.:LOL:

I never quite got comfortable with my AE TC3. It was AE's first attempt at Touring Cars. I got the Factory Team edition and all. And upgraded the axles from composite to Alu. etc. But for some reason I find it the hardest to setup. I put it on a carpet track maybe twice. I hated the way it drove. I could not dial it to save my life. I used weights to balance the chassis etc. I got like 3 sets of different tires. But I like the way it looks. It drives ok but you just can't push it hard. Technical driving is so hard with it. It gets wild. So I passed up on racing it. Which is only reason I got it. To get back into competition. Became a shelf queen fast. Doesn't do well on the street. It's all over the place. Almost feels like my RC10L Pan car when I first got it. Hard to dial. I drive the Pan car way better by comparison. I think that the TC3 steering rack design was flawed. I know that the ST. Rack design was dropped eventually in subsequent revisions.

My Team Associated RC10GT's Nitro and my RC10Ts. I still have the 2 AM and 2 FM PCM Futaba radios.
I seem to gravitate to rear drive old school rigs. Maybe because I learned on them and raced them many years ago. Cant explain the love for them
I love 10 scale stadium trucks because thats what I started out with in early 2000s. First hobby grade was a Losi 2wd electric stadium, don't remember the model # off hand. Brushed rwd, slow on nimh, but lipo wasn't the mainstream yet.

At that time nitro was big and everyone had them. When the jato was released in 04-05, I loved it. Had many of them. Something about 2 wheel rear drive I love. Losi, Associated, Traxxas 10 scale stadiums were everywhere, nitro and electric. They may be dead but not for me, still have them.

Yeah racers used starter boxes but I'm a basher that always used electric start. Remember guys pull starting over and over trying to start, sometimes breaking their pull string while shaking my head laughing. Then their was the guys with the start boxes going that way with the TZ18 trying to be faster over the TMs.

Yeah nito may be dead but I still run them time to time. I always liked the challenge to tune them, enjoy the engine revs and most importantly love the smell of nitro while enjoying a cold beer.

Likewise short shaft engine. Non-pull version. You never saw racers with pull start engines. I never did. Nowadays I guess PS is more common?
Actually I think nitro is dead.:LOL:
I think some Nitro is still around. The Tmaxx (electric start) is still selling. Larger scale vehicles are also still gas - and pull start (weed eater engines).

I never quite got comfortable with my AE TC3. It was AE's first attempt at Touring Cars. I got the Factory Team edition and all. And upgraded the axles from composite to Alu. etc. But for some reason I find it the hardest to setup. I put it on a carpet track maybe twice. I hated the way it drove. I could not dial it to save my life. I used weights to balance the chassis etc. I got like 3 sets of different tires. But I like the way it looks. It drives ok but you just can't push it hard. Technical driving is so hard with it. It gets wild. So I passed up on racing it. Which is only reason I got it. To get back into competition. Became a shelf queen fast. Doesn't do well on the street. It's all over the place. Almost feels like my RC10L Pan car when I first got it. Hard to dial. I drive the Pan car way better by comparison. I think that the TC3 steering rack design was flawed. I know that the ST. Rack design was dropped eventually in subsequent revisions.
I really liked the TC3 - I also had the Factory Team edition. The TC4 was a step backwards IMO. I never officially raced it. A bunch of us would get together on Sundays and play race for several hours. That was alot of fun. The XRay was even more fun!

Yeah nito may be dead but I still run them time to time. I always liked the challenge to tune them, enjoy the engine revs and most importantly love the smell of nitro while enjoying a cold beer.
I also like the smell of nitro, the sound of them little engines and watching them rip around. While I don't mind a little bit of maintenance, I hated having to constantly tune them!

Last edited:
Oh. I did not know that. :mad:
Got ya.(y)
Thanks for the heads up.:)
I knew something was a bit off though.

Track guys never wanted the added weight of a pull starter. Higher compression engines were hard to pull start. Cords always broke. I fixed so many for other guys. I hated it. A hot engine was also hard to pull start. What a nightmare repairing pull starts. The clock spring was a bear to deal with. I used all types of cords. sometimes you could tie a knot to repair them depending where the cord was broken. Even high tensile fishing lines guys tried Some guys just bought complete new pull starts. That gets expensive too. I think the nitro fuel would destroy the cords after a while.
I never had one in my rigs though. I played around with so many, I knew better. Just my thoughts. In retrospect , in the long run, a starter box is the less expensive option. Especially if you use your nitro rigs alot.

Last edited:
Very nice! Street Hawgs too. ;) My OS is original too. I thought the blue heads were 15's?

Edit: The OS .12 came with red slanted, blue, grey, natural or gold color choices. I think we both have vintage engines. :)

The Semis are alot of fun - but they are by no means racers or bashers. They are 'scale realism'. Don't get me wrong, they can move but they become uncontrollable quickly, much like the real thing. The M04 / M05 is setup for class racing. The TC3 and XRay are fast cars. The Slash is 90% original - that thing has taken a beaten and then some. That's the original body too. I had a TC4 - and was not very happy with it. Went to the XRay from there.

There's still more pictures to take. ;)
That finned blue heatsink head was an upgrade part. The .12's were supposedly faster than the .15's. Never knew why. But all the track guys only ran .12's. Maybe spec rules? Don't remember.15's being common, of course till lately.

That finned blue heatsink head was an upgrade part. The .12's were supposedly faster than the .15's. Never knew why. But all the track guys only ran .12's. Maybe spec rules? Don't remember.15's being common, of course till lately.
According to the rules for the class, your engine had to be a .12 engine. The OS engine was a .129, the largest in its class - and the best performing.

The .12's probably had better low end torque than a .15 but I don't think they were faster.

According to the rules for the class, your engine had to be a .12 engine. The OS engine was a .129, the largest in its class - and the best performing.

The .12's probably had better low end torque than a .15 but I don't think they were faster.
I got ya. (y)

My nephew fast-tracked my RC car. It is my favorite one, so I bought a cheap one for him for replacement.
The little boy was so happy to own his new toy.
I have a Slash 4x4 brushless and Traxxas hawk 2 also.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back