Motor and Esc Combo for Kraton 6s v5

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Hello there, I am currently looking for a 6s capable system that has loads of power for my kraton 6s. At first I was going to get the max 6 combo, but then I found a few threads talking about heat issues with it. My kraton will be run mostly on grass so I am looking for a motor/esc that can handle it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Max6 is an 8s non sensored ESC. Handles up to 8s, but runs very well on 6s with the proper motor (1650kv) and gearing. How many Cells you plan on running? Overpowered 8s rigs will wear out your drivetrain faster. Govern youself accordingly. It's your call. Many do run 8s.
The Older Max8 (6s ESC) usually ran very hot.
The newer Max8 G2 ( sensored) is getting way better reviews. Completely different ESC. Many say it runs very cool. It's a 6s ESC.

Max6 is an 8s non sensored ESC. Handles up to 8s, but runsvery well on 6s with the proper motor and gearing. How many Cells you plan on running?
Older Max8 (6s ESC) usually ran very hot.
The newer Max8 G2 ( sensored) is getting way better reviews. Completely different ESC. Many say it runs very cool. It's a 6s ESC.
I am planning on running 6s. Can the new Max8 run 1/8 motors? I thought it was a smaller esc.

Max8 G2 is a 1/8-1/7 ESC. Probably best with On road. But with the 2250kv combo motor handes 6s lipos according to the specs. For 1/8 trucks

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/ezrun-max8-g2-combo?variant=40028016705651
I don't know if the smaller motor that comes with the max8 would be able to handle running on grass. It is a smaller motor can compared to the 4985 and some say they have issues with the 4985. I have heard good things about TP. Is that an option?

https://www.radiocontrolpower.com/product-page/mamba-monster-x-8s-esc

^ runs cooler than the max 6 and it's just a better all around esc imo. It cost a good 50$ more than a max 6 though totally worth it.

https://www.tppowerusa.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20_71_140&product_id=390

This the motor I would pair with it. TP 4070 1700kv is a monster and it's probably the "smoothest" tp motor I've tried so far that's not sensored.

Total going to run you about 350$ and radiocontrolpower will even solder on connectors to the esc for you but you have to solder bullets onto TP motors yourself.

My kraton with the same combo. I was running 8s in this video though so it was extra stupid powerful.

My new fireteam with the same combo running 6s

Last edited:
How would you compare that motor to a 1717? Pros/cons?

Considering the 1717 is more expensive I"d pick the 4070 1700kv every time. Honestly, I don't know for sure if it's actually more powerful or not but it feels more violent and it's almost just as smooth. Motor so smooth I actually forgot I had replaced the 1717 in my mojave with the TP.

Considering the 1717 is more expensive I"d pick the 4070 1700kv every time. Honestly, I don't know for sure if it's actually more powerful or not but it feels more violent and it's almost just as smooth. Motor so smooth I actually forgot I had replaced the 1717 in my mojave with the TP.
Does it run cool?

I have 2 Max6 combos the one in my Kraton is 20/50 and the one in my Outcast is 18/50 I never have had heat issues running in grass, dirt or gravel. Even on a hot summer day with 80% humidity, I was sweating my balls off but the motor and esc were cool as a cucumber.

Thanks. Last question - does that sausage of a motor really only have M3 mounting holes? Or is that a website error?
Yea thats an error that thing comes with m4. You could get it with m3 if you wanted though haha. when you order you can leave a note before checkout and confirm that you want m4

https://www.radiocontrolpower.com/product-page/mamba-monster-x-8s-esc

^ runs cooler than the max 6 and it's just a better all around esc imo. It cost a good 50$ more than a max 6 though totally worth it.

https://www.tppowerusa.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20_71_140&product_id=390

This the motor I would pair with it. TP 4070 1700kv is a monster and it's probably the "smoothest" tp motor I've tried so far that's not sensored.

Total going to run you about 350$ and radiocontrolpower will even solder on connectors to the esc for you but you have to solder bullets onto TP motors yourself.

My kraton with the same combo. I was running 8s in this video though so it was extra stupid powerful.

My new fireteam with the same combo running 6s
Does the tp motor you mentioned fit the stock kraton 6s motor mount?

I don't know if the smaller motor that comes with the max8 would be able to handle running on grass. It is a smaller motor can compared to the 4985 and some say they have issues with the 4985. I have heard good things about TP. Is that an option?
My issues where probably caused by sand getting in the motor and killing the bearing (but haven’t run it with new bearings yet).

The motor is so big one of the hole’s in the endcap is positioned above the motor mount and sand gets in. A piece of tape would solve that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back