Mojave Motor and ESC? suggestions please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

findywen

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave
So I recently made an attempt at replacing the bearings in the stock can(the 2050kv blx) and made some poor decisions when it came to getting the new bearing into the lid. So, now I have an excuse to buy a new motor, and maybe ESC, cause that lid will never be the same.

I am looking for some suggestions, I have previously upgraded the rx/tx to the SR6100AT and DX5C so part of me says go all in with the spektrum smart lineup and grab a smart esc and motor. But in reading through all the various suggestions in the forums, I rarely see someone suggest spektrum's motors and ESC. I have seen alot of mention of the 1717 1650k lately and am kinda leaning that direction, figure i probably cant go wrong that way (unless i really try). Spektrums smart features are enticing, but Castle's data does look deeper.

To help in the decision making - I am mostly stock 6s mojave, upgraded servo and that is about it. The Motor always seemed to run hot and reach thermal limits well before I drained the cells. I did have a couple fans on the motor, and I am running the scorched fenders. so heat is my primary concern. I am not launching this thing very much mostly just running it through the desert.

thanks for any and all suggestions. maybe after this i will put a full build thread together.

Castle and HW are your best choices. Spektrum is out in there left field. Smart never thrilled me. It is RTR basic stuff. Can be had for cheap from JennysRC.
But Cheap buys cheap IMHO. If you go for Spektrum, at least don't buy retail. JennysRC kit breaker is the best way.
But there is no comparison to a Castle setup.
Go Castle.
BTW, what happened with your stocker motor Bearings exactly? You will be replacing BB's in any Motor down the road. Just part of motor maintenance. Need to learn this. If installing new BB's was the issue, put them in the freezer first, for a bit, before installing them. They will pop right in.
Use the "bread trick" to take the old one out. Rear BB.
If you only need a motor, save some coin on an ESC, and get a motor only from JennysRC.
FWIW, there wont be any performance gain going from BLX185 to a Firma 150. Smart is just a novelty that wears out. Performance is where its at.

Last edited:
I like the hobbywing combo, i use it in one, and the other has a max6/hobbystar 4092 1730kv motor in it. Of course you'll be gearing it up from what you were at stock. If you get a hobbywing or a castle setup go ahead and snag a program card. Makes changes a little easier to the specs on the esc's.

Could get a spektrum motor thru Jenny?

Upgrade, I vote 1717!

I could, but like i said this is an excuse to upgrade too :D

BTW, what happened with your stocker motor Bearings exactly? You will be replacing BB's in any Motor down the road. Just part of motor maintenance. Need to learn this. If installing new BB's was the issue, put them in the freezer first, for a bit, before installing them. They will pop right in.
Use the "bread trick" to take the old one out. Rear BB.
If you only need a motor, save some coin on an ESC, and get a motor only from JennysRC.
FWIW, there wont be any performance gain going from BLX185 to a Firma 150. Smart is just a novelty that wears out. Performance is where its at.

freezing the Bearing is a good idea, another friend i talked to after my handywork suggested a dry graphene lubricant with an appropriate sized socket and hammer applied on a flat surface.

Where I failed was using vice grips to try to squeeze the bearing into place. I had used the old bearing to spread the weight along the surface of the new one, but did not take into account the aluminum of the lid, and bent the metal where the bearing would sit.

I did consider just getting a motor, but decided this gave me a reason to upgrade. The 1717 1650 gives me room to grow if i decide to go 8s in the future.

Hobbywing Max 6 with 1650kv motor combo....$256 from their website......just an option....
If you want the data go Castle....

The reason I am leaning toward castle is due to the data. I have constantly had issues with heat with various components and would like to be able to dig into it a little more. an infrared thermal gun only tells me so much by the time I get to look over the components usually.

No hammering when installing BB's in the motor. They are too delicate using any amount of radial blunt force. Damages the Races, Balls and Cages of the new BB's.
Just put them in the Freezer. In 3 seconds they are in place. Trust me. It is like magic. No need to give it a second thought.;)
Bread trick works for removing the blind rear bearing. The front old BB ( pinion side) can be tapped out using the armature or similar shape. tool. Using some heat at this area helps. ( Heat gun or a brief torch)
If you have to muscle with Installing or removing motor BB's, you are doing something wrong.;)
If getting the CC ESC combo. Make sure to buy the Castle B-Link. (USB) The only way to acces the Data logs.
HW Sensored ESC's also offer some data logs . Not as much as CC. (No graphs) With using the HW BT Adapter and the APP.
I have 3 of those ESC's. Min/Max Lipo volts, ESC/Motor temps, and Motor max RPMs. FWIW.

Last edited:
Thanks SrC next time i am replacing the bearings in a motor I will remember this rather than grabbing whatever tool is within arms reach :D

Yeah the B-link will be in my cart as well for this. Considered the bluetooth as well, but last bit i read said the data wasnt available via the app, so I will probably just go with the usb.

I could, but like i said this is an excuse to upgrade too :D

freezing the Bearing is a good idea, another friend i talked to after my handywork suggested a dry graphene lubricant with an appropriate sized socket and hammer applied on a flat surface.

Where I failed was using vice grips to try to squeeze the bearing into place. I had used the old bearing to spread the weight along the surface of the new one, but did not take into account the aluminum of the lid, and bent the metal where the bearing would sit.

I did consider just getting a motor, but decided this gave me a reason to upgrade. The 1717 1650 gives me room to grow if i decide to go 8s in the future.

The reason I am leaning toward castle is due to the data. I have constantly had issues with heat with various components and would like to be able to dig into it a little more. an infrared thermal gun only tells me so much by the time I get to look over the components usually.
Doing a lower kv motor such as 1650, will allow some gearing changes and , if done within reason,can help with heat issues...,

I decided that, in my instance that data features or something that I can live without. Under no circumstances do I fault someone if they choose to pursue these things. I do know that people who have the castle speed controls absolutely love the data features, and they have a lot of extra features that make them worth the extra money compared to spektrum.....

I still have the stock electronics in my ready to run Mojave version 2, and they do okay for me, but it sounds like you are getting some good advice for what you're looking for.

Either combo the hobbywing max6 and 1650kv or the Castle MMX8S and 1717 1650kv would be a huge upgrade. I'd say the max6 combo would be better suited for bashing though. Check these guys out they have great prices, coupons for few bucks off and will install and include 8mm bullets or QS8 connections free with purchase of any HW or Castle ESC 👍🏼 https://www.radiocontrolpower.com/

Either combo the hobbywing max6 and 1650kv or the Castle MMX8S and 1717 1650kv would be a huge upgrade. I'd say the max6 combo would be better suited for bashing though. Check these guys out they have great prices, coupons for few bucks off and will install and include 8mm bullets or QS8 connections free with purchase of any HW or Castle ESC 👍🏼 https://www.radiocontrolpower.com/
That's a pretty good deal, especially when you throw in some connectors, or they charge you $5 to connect the entire speed control harness with connections included.....

Wish I would have seen that about a month ago I would have given them my business. I'll keep it for future reference

It is a good deal for sure especially for those of us that don't like to or even know how to solder. Get everything RTR to be just dropped in and good to go makes it a lot easier for sure! Also besides the deals etc they are a small family owned business with 30yrs in the hobby so definitely would rather see them get the business than say Amain or Tower hobbies etc. Located in Vegas so shipping has always been really quick in my experience also👍🏼

It is a good deal for sure especially for those of us that don't like to or even know how to solder. Get everything RTR to be just dropped in and good to go makes it a lot easier for sure! Also besides the deals etc they are a small family owned business with 30yrs in the hobby so definitely would rather see them get the business than say Amain or Tower hobbies etc. Located in Vegas so shipping has always been really quick in my experience also👍🏼

thanks, I went with them. Like you said always happy to support a "mom and pop" business. and it saved me from having to learn to solder yet (it will happen sooner or later in this hobby i am sure of it). But now it is something that i don't have to go out and learn to do this weekend ;)

thanks, I went with them. Like you said always happy to support a "mom and pop" business. and it saved me from having to learn to solder yet (it will happen sooner or later in this hobby i am sure of it). But now it is something that i don't have to go out and learn to do this weekend ;)
Awesome, what combo did you go with? I agree like I said I'd way rather support a small family business as it makes a lot bigger impact and helps them over a multi million or billion dollar company. Yep I was intimidated by soldering and never did it before so it took me a good while until I started and got comfortable doing it. I suggest when you decide to learn make sure to get a good higher wattage iron that gets real hot as it makes the world of difference.

Awesome, what combo did you go with? I agree like I said I'd way rather support a small family business as it makes a lot bigger impact and helps them over a multi million or billion dollar company. Yep I was intimidated by soldering and never did it before so it took me a good while until I started and got comfortable doing it. I suggest when you decide to learn make sure to get a good higher wattage iron that gets real hot as it makes the world of difference.
I'm giving it my first attempt this weekend, have watched a half.dozen videos , bought some different supplies , going to test run a few odds and ends before doing something important.....

Going a little against mainstream here, I'd stay with the Spektrum ESC but get a ~1650kV motor, castle or 4985 are great options.
You will still need fans though.
I prefer the telemetry for bashers. The datalogging is almost a 'must have' for speed running but overkill for bashing.
The Max6 ESC always overheated for myself, needs an immediate fan upgrade, otherwise the Max6 combo is nice but not really an upgrade for bashing.
Get the 160 Firma if you go bigger with the motor, the Max6 is easier to sell down the road i.e. try and get a cheap used Firma160 at a good discount.

I'm giving it my first attempt this weekend, have watched a half.dozen videos , bought some different supplies , going to test run a few odds and ends before doing something important.....
Good luck! It takes some practice but then it gets easier, you'll get it down 👍🏼

Going a little against mainstream here, I'd stay with the Spektrum ESC but get a ~1650kV motor, castle or 4985 are great options.
You will still need fans though.
I prefer the telemetry for bashers. The datalogging is almost a 'must have' for speed running but overkill for bashing.
The Max6 ESC always overheated for myself, needs an immediate fan upgrade, otherwise the Max6 combo is nice but not really an upgrade for bashing.
Get the 160 Firma if you go bigger with the motor, the Max6 is easier to sell down the road i.e. try and get a cheap used Firma160 at a good discount.
I have heard that about the max6 having heat problems as well but I forgot about that.....I don't have one, but the original poster does have heat concerns.......

Good info.....

Thanks for the input everyone, I ordered the mmx8s and 1717 1650kv combo.

@jkflow i think the telemetry would have been more important to me if I was driving a distance to bash. But I literally have open desert within a 5 min walk so can easily bash and pop inside to poor over the data and adjust things if/when heat is an issue. Even getting telemetry would have been a whole new esc

@Jon NC RC let us know how your practice goes. I need to clear some room in the garage to setup a table and soldering station, probably this winter while it's nice out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back