Kraton Motor and ESC upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purks77

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Thinking of upgrading to this for my Kraton

Attachments

• IMG_1890.PNG
    IMG_1890.PNG
    460.1 KB · Views: 264
The ESC is excellent, the motor may run hot on 6S. It gave me issues in my Kraton. I had to run a very small pinion, motor fan and Proline Badlands to try and keep it cool. It will be best on 4S or 5S.

The ESC is excellent, the motor may run hot on 6S. It gave me issues in my Kraton. I had to run a very small pinion, motor fan and Proline Badlands to try and keep it cool. It will be best on 4S or 5S.
I find that odd. I've used Castle motors for 7+ years and have had nothing but good luck with them. Not saying it isn't true in your case..just odd. I've always considered them the industry standard.

Who said anything about the quality of the brand ? The motor quality is great also, being that it is a high KV may be why it ran hot in a heavy 1/8 scale Kraton on 6S. The Kraton is a 6S truck so I figure I would share how it did in my Kraton on 6S. It ran hot and shut down the ESC often. .. still a fantastic motor but maybe in a lighter vehicle on 6S. On 4 or 5s in a Kraton.... it would do better and also suck up the mah's pretty quick.

Last edited:
I apologize, I must have misinterpreted your response. Certainly wasn't trying to be argumentative.

It's the same motor that came stock in my Savage Flux which is considerably heavier than your Kraton. Never ran hot, even with upgraded pinion and on 6s, hence the reason I found it odd. There are many factors that lead to engine heat, including the terrain that it is being driven on and driving habits. This is the reason I said that my experiences may not have been true in your case. In my case, it has caused zero issues, including heat in a heavier truck.

Definatly a quality brand but normally a higher KV like a 2200 will run in the higher heat ranges in a heavier vehicle. Final gear ratio plays a big role in it also. At the time... I could not fit the pinion and spur I needed.... so I installed smaller tires to make it better. Funny thing is.... I didn't expect it to run very cool at all on 6S but it thermaled often off-road so I gave up on it. Insane power but ran too hot with smallest pinion and tires. That ESC is fantastic in a Kraton but there are way better motors to use for 6S. Same speeds, cooler temps, longer run times can be achieved easier.

On lower cells, it would not matter. It is a 6S rig so why not go for a better choice of 6S motor.

Last edited:
Definatly a quality brand but normally a higher KV like a 2200 will run in the higher heat ranges in a heavier vehicle. Final gear ratio plays a big role in it also. At the time... I could not fit the pinion and spur I needed.... so I installed smaller tires to make it better. Funny thing is.... I didn't expect it to run very cool at all on 6S but it thermaled often off-road so I gave up on it. Insane power but ran too hot with smallest pinion and tires. That ESC is fantastic in a Kraton but there are way better motors to use for 6S. Same speeds, cooler temps, longer run times can be achieved easier.

On lower cells, it would not matter. It is a 6S rig so why not go for a better choice of 6S motor.
That's why I opted for posiden motor with the momba esc... cant wait till they arrive..

Last edited:
I have this setup in my Kraton. I love it! The motor does run a tad hot, but I installed a wild turbo windy fan on a 3d motor mount from wild turbo this evening. Haven't ran it yet tho. That being said I have abused this setup, just keep an eye on the motor/ esc temps. Good batteries will also help with esc temps as it will help keep ripple down.

Im also running a 17T pinion as my 15T went away when I sold my nero. And I have replaced my esc fan with a wild turbo 30mm fan. It should help stay cool as ot spins at a much higher rpm than stock.

Attachments

• 20170323_173638.jpg
    20170323_173638.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 20170323_173716.jpg
    20170323_173716.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 20170323_173809.jpg
    20170323_173809.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 85
I have this setup in my Kraton. I love it! The motor does run a tad hot, but I installed a wild turbo windy fan on a 3d motor mount from wild turbo this evening. Haven't ran it yet tho. That being said I have abused this setup, just keep an eye on the motor/ esc temps. Good batteries will also help with esc temps as it will help keep ripple down.

Im also running a 17T pinion as my 15T went away when I sold my nero. And I have replaced my esc fan with a wild turbo 30mm fan. It should help stay cool as ot spins at a much higher rpm than stock.

Yup...it's a bad ass combo but it needs to be watched closely on 6S. I ended up installing a longer motor with lower KV and geared it with a 19 or 20 tooth. It's much easier on everything and just as fast or fast enough for what the tires can handle. However...it only runs well on 6S now and it's slow on 5S.

Yup...it's a bad ass combo but it needs to be watched closely on 6S. I ended up installing a longer motor with lower KV and geared it with a 19 or 20 tooth. It's much easier on everything and just as fast or fast enough for what the tires can handle. However...it only runs well on 6S now and it's slow on 5S.
I have only ever run 6s. Although cheap batteries will make a difference, not in a good way. Lol
I have to run my punch on low because it hesitates so bad. It def does run hot, so hoping these new fans from wild turbo will help. I've heard good things, guess we'll find out. Lol

Great to see this thread!! I'm also having overheating issues with the MMX / 2200kv Castle combo. My motor was running hot, so I put a heat sink and fan on it, and that's keeping the motor at acceptable temps, but the ESC is overheating and shutting down before a full pack run. I do think the 2200KV is too high for the weight of Kraton running 6s power. I had a 15T pinion, and didn't try any lower, but according to this gearing calculator site, it will never work in the green range:

http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/car_setup.html

I calculated with this site that a 2000KV motor will work on my current 15T pinion and stay within good ranges. I ordered the Nero motor, as it was very powerful and never had an issue when I had a Nero. Only $62 new from Ebay chop shop, can't beat that, might as well try it.

If you want a new Castle combo, go for the 1512 motor 1800KV with the MMX, and gear up the pinion a little.

*edit* Castle 1512 is not rated for 6S voltage. There is a discontinued 1518 1800KV that has a longer can and is rated for 6s. Hard to find a legit one used, but they pop up on Ebay. Don't buy the knock-offs shipping from China. Castle is a USA based company.

Last edited:
I had overheating esc issues partly because my batteries are cheap and causing high ripple. An extra cap pack helped with that tho. As far as the 1515, I think it just runs hot offroad on 6s. It's still going strong tho.

I've had Castle cap pack installed on the MMX from day 1, still shutting down, 45C batteries

Weird. Mine only shut down when it was installed in my Nero. Since transplanting it into my Kraton, it hasn't shut down. Kraton is a lot lighter teuck tho. I did replace the esc fan the other day but haven't had a chance to run it and see esc temps.

Tried the Nero 2000kv motor, it ran hotter and ESC still overheated. It does have a lot of torque though.

Does the Wild Turbo fan fit inside the MMX shroud? Seems to in the pic. What size?

Ordered 2 wild turbo fans to replace my ESC and Motor fans. If that does not improve things I'm buying the BLX200 to go with the Nero motor, which is basically a MAX8. Just to try a different ESC.

Yes, the difference is that the true max8 has more program options, the Arrma version is pretty restricted, but comes with an extra cap pack on the power supply and sells significantly cheaper. I really would much rather have Castle for the endless programming options available via software on PC, and data logging.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back