Notorious Motor and esc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Outcast 6s
Looking for advice on motors and esc. Can someone explain what part kv plays when picking a motor and the difference between sensored and not . I run mostly 6s so what would be a good replacement. I've looked at castle creation but again can't really understand the different combos. Not fussed on price but naturally would rather not pay top buck if there's no real need for it. My notorious is basically stock with the exception of changed diff oil and cosmetic stuff

The KV relates to the RPM of the motor when a given voltage is applied. Most motors max out at around 50k RPM. You can work this backwards to find the appropriate KV for 6S. If you take 50,000 and divide by the voltage 25v you get 2000kv. Now, if you go lower than that, you will find in general that motors get more torque, so you can increase gearing to compensate. But, if you go higher, you can over rev the motor and blow the bearings.

As far as an ESC, that depends on how large and heavy your rig is. An OC6 or Noto would be best with a MAX6 combo. The MAX5 would be overkill for an 1/8 MT. The MAX8 is the same as the BLX185 you already have and won’t be an upgrade.

Would this be a worthy upgrade then

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200202-210136_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200202-210136_Chrome.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 97
Yep that looks like the one others here run.
Jondilly1974.... kudos for taking the time to explain and not send him off to YT.
You’ve got character ?
Thanks buddy. That’s what we are here for. To help each other out. ????

Long winded answer is here:
http://learningrc.com/motor-kv/

For bashing purposes i.e. approximation it gives you an approx. RPM per Volt when motor is not loaded.
2200kV at 1 V will give ~2200 rpm (approx., slightly less for actual), at 6s ~ 24V*2200 = 52800 rpm . Keep in mind, this is unloaded, but you can use the ratio between the different kV for your pinion selection.

You would be looking for the max6 esc with the 4985 combo motor.. can I ask why it is you are looking for something more then stock?

To be honest that is even overkill for a notorious...
Your stock rig will already flip on it's back from half throttle....all a bigger motor will do is kill your throttle control. Trust me I have that combo... all a motor that size is, is bragging rights. Save your money.

Jondilly1974.... kudos for taking the time to explain and not send him off to YT.
You’ve got character ?

Yeah, like I said I wasn’t being rude or not willing to help. What is nice about a YT video is the visual images and the ability to lay out a lot of information quickly and more organized than someone trying to explain on the fly in a forum post. It usually makes more sense to a guy trying to learn something on a more complex subject. That’s all I was getting at but I’m glad someone was able to get @Lumsdenaj where he was wanting to be.

I wasn’t able to actually give a “character filled” answer at the time so rather than leaving the OP hanging and waiting around for an answer I thought it would be a good and helpful idea to direct him to a place he could get an answer immediately. Sometimes it takes a while for someone to see a post and have the time actually answer a question that isn’t explained in single sentence or two.

My bad @Lumsdenaj, hope there’s no hard feelings?

Last edited:
Yeah, like I said I wasn’t being rude or not willing to help. What is nice about a YT video is the visual images and the ability to lay out a lot of information quickly and more organized than someone trying to explain on the fly in a forum post. It usually makes more sense to a guy trying to learn something on a more complex subject. That’s all I was getting at but I’m glad someone was able to get @Lumsdenaj where he was wanting to be.

No, no. You’re a horrible person for telling someone to research a video on their problem instead of asking the forum!

Joking lol, I would’ve done the same thing.

I wasn’t able to actually give a “character filled” answer at the time so rather than leaving the OP hanging and waiting around for an answer I thought it would be a good and helpful idea to direct him to a place he could get an answer immediately. Sometimes it takes a while for someone to see a post and have the time actually answer a question that isn’t explained in single sentence or two.

Lol I was just chiming in... as well I YT a lot....just giving kudos to the guy who took his time to help....

No not at all ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back