Motor can question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velodromed

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Vorteks
  8. Voltage
  9. Infraction 4x4
I just picked up 3670, 3050kv rocket motor and it has…a not smooth can. I know I’ve seen before that people say if it has raised ridges you shouldn’t run a heat sink but run fans directly on the motor. Is this one of those type motors? Should I not use the Arrma heat sink? They seem like such low profile raised sections I am unsure…

6F051139-AFDB-429A-B797-B58890D6884A.jpeg

5C95154F-9426-4ED3-B3DA-D5F14397B5BF.jpeg

Run a fan without a heat sink on that style of motor can. The ridges on the can allow gaps between the can and the heatsink, so there is less heat transfer.

That motor was designed to cool itself and not have to use heatsink. Guys will lower spur gear so motor temp is low. My typhon runs on 1650 dual 40mm fans but fins are raised I run fans directly on motor. I think they want you to blow motor up to buy a new one jk

Ok cool that is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you guys very much!

II have these mounts on both my 1650's, they have been great and are still perfectly sturdy after about a year and a half of gppd bashing. One has dual 35mm fans, the other has a single 40mm fan. I need to order a couple for 40mm motors before summer. Definitely recommend them.

Yes Sir, I took mine off the Kraton and used 2 of the Powerhobby on the MAX6 combo pushed by the 4S 40mm gamechanger Cyclone fans, and after running it for like 35 minutes up and down it wasn't even warm, geared 50/20T

Thanks y’all! I really appreciate your responses. I will run it naked.
On a side note…I love it when my posts get sidetracked (or hijacked as some say I guess). It’s fun to watch where it goes and the conversations that ensue. I often learn something new or at least have a laugh so keep it up! 😃
Yes Sir, I took mine off the Kraton and used 2 of the Powerhobby on the MAX6 combo pushed by the 4S 40mm gamechanger Cyclone fans, and after running it for like 35 minutes up and down it wasn't even warm, geared 50/20T
Did you get double fan mounts to secure the fan better or double mounts for double fans? Just want to clarify…

Last edited:
On a side note…I love it when my posts get sidetracked (or hijacked as some say I guess). It’s fun to watch where it goes and the conversations that ensue. I often learn something new or at least have a laugh so keep it up!

Did you get double fan mounts to secure the fan better or double mounts for double fans? Just want to clarify…
You lost me?
On a side note…I love it when my posts get sidetracked (or hijacked as some say I guess). It’s fun to watch where it goes and the conversations that ensue. I often learn something new or at least have a laugh so keep it up! 😃

OK I think I know what u meant lol, had to go deep to search for the pics lol 😂
I placed the 2 mounts inside as u can see, in a 45 degree angle because it gets tight under the body without raising the stand offs😉
That better? 😂

20220211_164105.jpg

Last edited:
You lost me?

OK I think I know what u meant lol, had to go deep to search for the pics lol 😂
I placed the 2 mounts inside as u can see, in a 45 degree angle because it gets tight under the body without raising the stand offs😉
That better? 😂

View attachment 205225
Perfect! Thank you!!

I just stick the Yeah Racing heatsink to the motor like this🤣

View attachment 205403
This is exactly what I planned on doing when i eventually pick up a rocket 4092 motor (finned) for my KEXB. I already have that yeah racing heatsink on the smooth can spetkrum 2050kv. The yeah racing heatsink has slots below the fan mounts to pass through air, so if your motor has fins on the can, it should create "cooling channels" between those fins. Most fans should have enough static pressure to get at least some air flow through there, so i'm glad to hear that this idea is atleast somewhat doable!

It's another split hair situation like, push or pull fan config.
Cooling a radiator before or after it hits the reservoir.
Just for example, and the outcome is mostly the same.
I don't think it's splitting hairs. Fan model/manuf aside, your config from the pictures above would definitely get much better convection across the can than "cooling channels" could. Hands down. It's less air resistance--like alot. I was more just glad that in principle Sandracer's setup seems to at least work! I'm too cheap to buy something new!

I took Old Yeller, (as dubbed by my wife) out for his first run today and wow, just wow. I’ve never had so much fun with a 3S car on a mostly flat park area while my kid played. Top the bottom it is just about perfect for me. Without a fan, 75° today, it didn’t exceed 113°F. The esc hovered around 110°. I was running it wide-open across the field quite a bit as well.

Somehow I accidentally set up the AVC up perfect. I tried to turn it off but it didn’t and is dialed in so well that I like it. Got it at about 50% and it just…well I don’t know what but it’s fun.

31412AB1-80C9-462E-995E-691C5EF5A58F.jpeg

I took Old Yeller, (as dubbed by my wife) out for his first run today and wow, just wow. I’ve never had so much fun with a 3S car on a mostly flat park area while my kid played. Top the bottom it is just about perfect for me. Without a fan, 75° today, it didn’t exceed 113°F. The esc hovered around 110°. I was running it wide-open across the field quite a bit as well.

Somehow I accidentally set up the AVC up perfect. I tried to turn it off but it didn’t and is dialed in so well that I like it. Got it at about 50% and it just…well I don’t know what but it’s fun.

View attachment 205438
Passive cooling FTW!

OH HOW IM SO HAPPY TO HAVE SEEN THIS THREAD!!!!! Thanks for asking that question @Velodromed . I had no idea about that. And have been noticing heat issues. So I bought a rocket fan and I have the entire truck apart re oiling, cleaning diffs the whole shabang cause I couldnt figure out the problem. Wfml! Maintanence needed to be done anyway and I'll kick the heat sink out when I go back.

Question now....well maybe a couple.
1. How should I mount the fan?
2. Help or hurt to cover the end of the can?
16469779399032368829598385199681.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back