Motor can question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OH HOW IM SO HAPPY TO HAVE SEEN THIS THREAD!!!!! Thanks for asking that question @Velodromed . I had no idea about that. And have been noticing heat issues. So I bought a rocket fan and I have the entire truck apart re oiling, cleaning diffs the whole shabang cause I couldnt figure out the problem. Wfml! Maintanence needed to be done anyway and I'll kick the heat sink out when I go back.

Question now....well maybe a couple.
1. How should I mount the fan?
2. Help or hurt to cover the end of the can?View attachment 205496
I always close the end of the motor can if there is a opening (with just a small piece of tape), I even tape the whole front end of the motor with openings just big enough for the motor shaft and the two motor mount screws. I have al lot less sand coming in my motors now.
But that’s just me; I also close the spur gear slot and any other chassis holes as well (for sand/dirt/water) 🤣.
Edit: the fan mounting looks good to me👍.

OH HOW IM SO HAPPY TO HAVE SEEN THIS THREAD!!!!! Thanks for asking that question @Velodromed . I had no idea about that. And have been noticing heat issues. So I bought a rocket fan and I have the entire truck apart re oiling, cleaning diffs the whole shabang cause I couldnt figure out the problem. Wfml! Maintanence needed to be done anyway and I'll kick the heat sink out when I go back.

2. Help or hurt to cover the end of the can?
If you think it's that critical then test both ways, run one test and use the temp gun with and do a run without covering the end. Personally I leave it uncovered, and mount it 45 deg.

2. Help or hurt to cover the end of the can?View attachment 205496
Hey buddy, this was recommended to mount the fan sans heat sink and yes, I cover the rear hole with tape and the front unused holes with small round pieces of electrical tape (it’s thin and doesn’t interfere with mount interface). I use one of my kids hole punches to made the tape rounds lol. I also fit a greased o-ring with washer on top at the base of the shaft.

3FDED41D-3458-46C1-A896-4DEFE7F5CF8B.png

I always close the end of the motor can if there is a opening (with just a small piece of tape), I even tape the whole front end of the motor with openings just big enough for the motor shaft and the two motor mount screws. I have al lot less sand coming in my motors now.
But that’s just me; I also close the spur gear slot and any other chassis holes as well (for sand/dirt/water) 🤣.
Edit: the fan mounting looks good to me👍.
I use the Velcro under the spur. And i clog all holes. Even the honeycomb inside the chassis with some clear rubber gasket maker. Peels right off if need. Thanks bud
If you think it's that critical then test both ways, run one test and use the temp gun with and do a run without covering the end. Personally I leave it uncovered, and mount it 45 deg.
Right on. Ive ran uncovered with heatsink and stock fan...thats a no go. So now I'll cover the end of the can take heatsink off and 45° the fan. Thanks man
Hey buddy, this was recommended to mount the fan sans heat sink and yes, I cover the rear hole with tape and the front unused holes with small round pieces of electrical tape (it’s thin and doesn’t interfere with mount interface). I use one of my kids hole punches to made the tape rounds lol. I also fit a greased o-ring with washer on top at the base of the shaft.

View attachment 205556
Thanks bud! Yea I cover pinion side holes with elect tape also. Def gonna cover the end of the can now.
So you put an o-ring and a washer on the pinion side also? Ive seen the o ring....but just that. Can u post a pic please?
Nice touch with the hole punch 🤙

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back