Granite Motor connector fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1.21 Gigawatts

Reaction score
So I have bought three of these Granite Voltages- 2 for my sons and one for the neighbor (when my son broke his unfixable no-name rc truck). So far, only one diff outdrive has been stripped between the three trucks. The bigger problem with these is the motor bullet connectors always coming loose. After repeatedly having to reconnect the motor bullets, and having to resolder the wire onto the motor once, I figured out a fix.

The problem is the heavy ferrite cores that Arrma decided to hang off of the motor wires. Every jump, these are pulling on the motor wires eventually disconnecting the bullet or breaking the wire off of the motor.

The easy fix is to relocate the ferrite cores to the wires between the receiver and bullets (on the receiver side of the wire holder on the chassis. Then wire tie the loose wires between the bullets and motor for added security. Haven't had any issues on any of the three since doing this to all of them.

They are "probably" not necessary, but since they can be easily repositioned to a location where they won't cause any problems, I see no reason to not use them.

Whell let's look at it from an economical perspective. Even if that ferrit costs arrma only 50 cents they wouldn't install it if it is not necessary. I can't exactly tell you what it is good for but i would rather look how to fix it in place than removing it.

My Ecx Ruckus and Torment had them from the factory and I noticed no difference when I removed them. To be honest I have no idea why they put them on, the Mega 4x4 models do t have them.

This is what my lhs writes about it...

... A ferrite ring is suitable for reducing unwanted electromagnetic interference. This is particularly recommended for lines from the receiver and to motors...

My Ecx Ruckus and Torment had them from the factory and I noticed no difference when I removed them. To be honest I have no idea why they put them on, the Mega 4x4 models do t have them.
Maybe it is the esc/receiver combo unit. Is the Mega a combined unit also?

This is what my lhs writes about it...

... A ferrite ring is suitable for reducing unwanted electromagnetic interference. This is particularly recommended for lines from the receiver and to motors...
2.4ghz isn't susceptible to this interference, it's a carryover from the old am and fm days that is why I said I'm not sure why they even include them on these cars anymore.

Maybe it is the esc/receiver combo unit. Is the Mega a combined unit also?

My Ecx vehicles have separate esc and receiver units so I doubt it. No the Mega is a separate esc and receiver unit.

Looked up ferrite cores. It seems they could prevent electrical noise, hiss or other electrical interference. Since the RF equipment is so close, it is likely added to the motor as insurance to prevent any issues. Seriously, ferrite cores are used on almost every home appliance and most electrical devices. It was a staggering amount of information! So, I am going to leave mine in place and tie it down better.

Looked up ferrite cores. It seems they could prevent electrical noise, hiss or other electrical interference. Since the RF equipment is so close, it is likely added to the motor as insurance to prevent any issues. Seriously, ferrite cores are used on almost every home appliance and most electrical devices. It was a staggering amount of information! So, I am going to leave mine in place and tie it down better.
All I know is that both of my Ecx vehicles had them and the darn motor wires kept breaking off, so I removed them, I haven't had any radio issues in the past 6 years and the motor wires haven't broken off since.

All I know is that both of my Ecx vehicles had them and the darn motor wires kept breaking off, so I removed them, I haven't had any radio issues in the past 6 years and the motor wires haven't broken off since.
You know, I'll take your six years of experience over anything I read. Thanks for replying!

You know, I'll take your six years of experience over anything I read. Thanks for replying!
It probably doesn't mean much but Traxxas doesn't use them either.

I moved the ferrites up next to the ESC and used some small zip ties around the body mount location to remove the slack out of the wires, so they don't hang down much and catch on twigs and stuff.

In my experience with the Voltage the ferrite cores have been nothing but a nuisance. I've had to re-solder every motor lead once on each of my trucks because they dangled and would eventually get caught on something and rip off. I've removed the cores from both of my trucks and haven't had a single issue with interference.

As a side note the factory soldered joints are terrible and are significantly stronger now after a re-solder.

In my experience with the Voltage the ferrite cores have been nothing but a nuisance. I've had to re-solder every motor lead once on each of my trucks because they dangled and would eventually get caught on something and rip off. I've removed the cores from both of my trucks and haven't had a single issue with interference.

As a side note the factory soldered joints are terrible and are significantly stronger now after a re-solder.
I noticed this on my Ruckus and Torment how bad the factory solder job was.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back