Motor Cooling in this hot heat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finessed

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 8s
Whats everyone doing to keep their motors cool in this hot weather? I live in maryland and it gets very hot here on top of the humidity almost every time the sun is shining especially from now until the end of September the heat is here to stay. Im open to all ideas/suggestions! That are better than the stock fan.

Last edited:
Well yes, i need something better than stock
I'm using this in my Granite. https://www.amazon.com/Innovateking...eywords=30mm+motor+fan&qid=1623370611&sr=8-15
With 28,000 rpm it's twice as fast as some others. But if I run hard in hot weather, it will still overheat. To be honest, I didn't notice much of a difference from 14,000 rpm fans when it comes to temps (except it's much louder). When it's hot out and you're running hard, you have to check temps and take breaks.

Whats everyone doing to keep their motors cool in this hot weather? I live in maryland and it gets very hot here on top of the humidity almost every time the sun is shining especially from now until the end of September the heat is here to stay. Im open to all ideas/suggestions! That are better than the stock fan.
You gonna tell us what motor/rig your running? 🤔
Oops! Just noticed your avatar. Outcast 8s ?

1. Smaller pinion.

2. Use a heat sink that is absolutely tight on the motor. Otherwise you have an insulation layer of air between the heat sink and the motor. This is the case with a heat sink on the Kraton 6s V4 where you have cooling fins on the motor body. The heat sink will then not be tight on the motor. If the heat sink has no slits or openings that hot air is stuck between motor and heat sink. It then insulates the hot motor against the cooler air of cooler heat sink. Not good. Rather go without a heat sink then and have a fan with a simple holder / clamp like Yeah Racing has.

Think this is also the reason why Arrma has not cooling fins on their new V5 series.

Last edited:
1. Smaller pinion.

2. Use a heat sink that is absolutely tight on the motor. Otherwise you have an insulation layer of air between the heat sink and the motor. This is the case with a heat sink on the Kraton 6s V4 where you have cooling fins on the motor body. The heat sink will then not be tight on the motor. If the heat sink has no slits or openings that hot air is stuck between motor and heat sink. It then insulates the hot motor against the cooler air of cooler heat sink. Not good. Rather go without a heat sink then and have a fan with a simple holder / clamp like Yeah Racing has.

Think this is also the reason why Arrma has not cooling fins on their new V5 series.
So what im taking from this is that it would be a better option to take off my stock heatsink and run it with just a fan pushing cold air onto the motor directly.

If you have cooling fins on your motor the heat sink will not be perfectly on the motor body. I have not measured the difference between (1) a motor with cooling fins and a heat sink that does not fit properly and (2) a motor blowing cold air on it directly. It just makes no sense to have an insulating layer of air between heat sink and motor body. I would use a double fan or a fast fan if you go without the heat sink. If the motor has no cooling fins use a heat sink with fan.

Last edited:
I have a caste 2028 in my kraton 8s exb 39/34 gearing, I bought the castle dual fan shroud and upgraded the cheap fans that came with it, bashed the other day for about 40 minutes when it was 85° outside and my motor never got above 120. No heat sink just fans blowing on motor.

I have a caste 2028 in my kraton 8s exb 39/34 gearing, I bought the castle dual fan shroud and upgraded the cheap fans that came with it, bashed the other day for about 40 minutes when it was 85° outside and my motor never got above 120. No heat sink just fans blowing on motor.
Do you have a link for what you used, im highly interested!
If you have cooling fins on your motor the heat sink will not be perfectly on the motor body. I have not measured the difference between (1) a motor with cooling fins and a heat sink that does not fit properly and (2) a motor blowing cold air on it directly. It just makes no sense to have an insulating layer of air between heat sink and motor body. I would use a double fan or a fast fan if you go without the heat sink. If the motor has no cooling fins use a heat sink with fan.
What is your current set-up with cooling and how does it perform?

Blows like crazy.

YR Racing here on the Kraton V4, motor with cooling fins. : YA-0581BK

Think it works better than a stock V5 Arrma heatsink and fan. But I have not measured it.
Downside is that the fan is not protected. But I found that with a protective cover on the original fan small twigs tend to get stuck and block the fan.
So not sure if it is really a downside to not have a cover. Mosquito netting over it should do the job.

Tempted to put it on the Mojave too. Clamp does not fit next to the heat sink so I just added a 45mm fan, attached with one screw, on to the original Mojave heat sink. 45mm blows a lot more air than the original fan.

20210613_090511a.jpg

20210613_090511b.jpg

Last edited:
Blows like crazy.

YR Racing here on the Kraton V4, motor with cooling fins. : YA-0581BK

Think it works better than a stock V5 Arrma heatsink and fan. But I have not measured it.
Downside is that the fan is not protected. But I found that with a protective cover on the original fan small twigs tend to get stuck and block the fan.
So not sure if it is really a downside to not have a cover. Mosquito netting over it should do the job.

Tempted to put it on the Mojave too. Clamp does not fit next to the heat sink so I just added a 45mm fan, attached with one screw, on to the original Mojave heat sink. 45mm blows a lot more air than the original fan.

View attachment 151829

View attachment 151830
Can you post a picture with a wider angle so i can see how you have it mounted up.

Do you have a link for what you used, im highly interested!

What is your current set-up with cooling and how does it perform?
F923A656-2DCF-4BCA-B7CD-20189D6F525A.jpeg
B0A4B09F-B9B5-44CB-B5B3-95D099958AE0.jpeg

Castle Creations 20 Series Dual Fan Shroud w/Fans

Reedy 40mm Aluminum HV Motor Cooling Fan

Works very well off xlx2 bec voltage and moves a lot more air than the stock fans (
4D3071E9-5908-4DB3-BEA1-08500A353B1B.jpeg
). Original fans are press fitted on tapered plastic pins in all corners. Used a hook tool to carefully pull fans out without breaking fan blade covers then snapped all the plastic pins out of the fan shroud, roughed it up and hot glued the new reedy fans in.

View attachment 152065View attachment 152066

Castle Creations 20 Series Dual Fan Shroud w/Fans

Reedy 40mm Aluminum HV Motor Cooling Fan

Works very well off xlx2 bec voltage and moves a lot more air than the stock fans (View attachment 152067). Original fans are press fitted on tapered plastic pins in all corners. Used a hook tool to carefully pull fans out without breaking fan blade covers then snapped all the plastic pins out of the fan shroud, roughed it up and hot glued the new reedy fans in.
This is fantastic and very clean looking, im highly considering this! I appreciate the info and clear pictures.
Can you also provide me with product links to the setup you have on the arrma and traxxas, thanks in advance.

Back