Typhon Motor cooling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the largest pinion you guys run in the Typhon? I'm looking for speed but not at the expense of killing it. Than

I currently only run a 16t pinion. With my 90c constant smc 4s im probably close to 45mph. Since my wife lost my 17t pinion a few weeks ago before i installed it, i am now waiting on the arrival for my 2nd 17t pinion. Im expecting my temps to be around 150 degrees on my motor and i do believe thats still a safe operating temp. Ill post back in a week when i get it and go to the track for testing.

PSA: putting two fans next to each other like this:
XBwXh8z.jpg

Is absurd. They end up taking their airflow from each other, significantly slowing each other down (I measured this with a desktop PC where the fan have a speed signal). You need some distance or a shield between them, at the intake side.
Anyone working in HVAC could also confirm, you split ducts at a certain distance from two fans mounted next to each other. if you know what you're doing.

Last edited:
PSA: putting two fans next to each other like this:
View attachment 11513
Is absurd. They end up taking their airflow from each other, significantly slowing each other down (I measured this with a desktop PC where the fan have a speed signal). You need some distance or a shield between them, at the intake side.
Anyone working in HVAC could also confirm, you split gains at a certain distance from two fans mounted next to each other. if you know what you're doing.
I happen to be a union hvac guy that does a fair amount of commercial work. Your definitely right as it can pull more air from one fan vs another. Their is many reasons why this can happen. Returns being closer to one fan vs another, 2 different sizes of ductwork, one fan pressed against a wall/one in the open, etc. In the rc world one fan might get more airflow being the front fan as its experiencing a ram air effect. The fan in the rear on the otherhand Might have more stale air so to speak causing it to have more resistance. This can lead to premature failure of a fan. Many other factors such as a baffle between the two can help as you stated. Its always a safe bet to have only 1 fan installed properly.

I happen to be a union hvac guy that does a fair amount of commercial work. Your definitely right as it can pull more air from one fan vs another. Their is many reasons why this can happen. Returns being closer to one fan vs another, 2 different sizes of ductwork, one fan pressed against a wall/one in the open, etc. In the rc world one fan might get more airflow being the front fan as its experiencing a ram air effect. The fan in the rear on the otherhand Might have more stale air so to speak causing it to have more resistance. This can lead to premature failure of a fan. Many other factors such as a baffle between the two can help as you stated. Its always a safe bet to have only 1 fan installed properly.
Would it be better to have one fan flow downward and the other fan flow upward? With both fans blowing downward the motor is being cooled significantly.

Pretty sure this would be worst and create a loop of increasingly hot air.
I would think so. I’m curious on how the actual airflow is under the rc body with the fans blowing downward. My actual temp measurement shows the motor staying between 140*F-160*F with fans. Without the fans 190*F-221*F.

Would it be better to have one fan flow downward and the other fan flow upward? With both fans blowing downward the motor is being cooled significantly.
The r/c car world and hvac isnt an exact science that coexist with one another but the same principles can help make good judgements from the start. The best example i can give for one fan pushing air and one sucking air out would be in a commercial kitchen. Over your "grill" your exhaust hood is pulling the fumes/heat out of the kitchen via a large fan. The problem is if you don't have any air to pull from outside/or new conditioned air, the kitchen will get especially hot, nor will the exhaust function properly due to the constant resistance of trying to suck air out of the building when its sealed. This is why i always encourage kitchens to install a makeup air unit/fresh air so the kitchen stays cool not 100 degrees! It also prevents fumes from building up annoying the kitchen staff. So speaking on your r/c id give it a shot but its hard to say if it'll function properly without any kind of baffle or ducted airflow. Hope this helps a bit on the dynamics of airflow.

The r/c car world and hvac isnt an exact science that coexist with one another but the same principles can help make good judgements from the start. The best example i can give for one fan pushing air and one sucking air out would be in a commercial kitchen. Over your "grill" your exhaust hood is pulling the fumes/heat out of the kitchen via a large fan. The problem is if you don't have any air to pull from outside/or new conditioned air, the kitchen will get especially hot, nor will the exhaust function properly due to the constant resistance of trying to suck air out of the building when its sealed. This is why i always encourage kitchens to install a makeup air unit/fresh air so the kitchen stays cool not 100 degrees! It also prevents fumes from building up annoying the kitchen staff. So speaking on your r/c id give it a shot but its hard to say if it'll function properly without any kind of baffle or ducted airflow. Hope this helps a bit on the dynamics of airflow.[/QUOTE
The r/c car world and hvac isnt an exact science that coexist with one another but the same principles can help make good judgements from the start. The best example i can give for one fan pushing air and one sucking air out would be in a commercial kitchen. Over your "grill" your exhaust hood is pulling the fumes/heat out of the kitchen via a large fan. The problem is if you don't have any air to pull from outside/or new conditioned air, the kitchen will get especially hot, nor will the exhaust function properly due to the constant resistance of trying to suck air out of the building when its sealed. This is why i always encourage kitchens to install a makeup air unit/fresh air so the kitchen stays cool not 100 degrees! It also prevents fumes from building up annoying the kitchen staff. So speaking on your r/c id give it a shot but its hard to say if it'll function properly without any kind of baffle or ducted airflow. Hope this helps a bit on the dynamics of airflow.
I will compare both opposite and same direction and see which is more efficient. Thanks for the information.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back