Typhon Motor cooling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beaker

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
So, in the quest for lower motor temps, without sacrificing gearing, I'm looking at motor heatsink/fans.

Came across this from Yeah Racing, running twin 30mm fans. Diameter is 40.8mm, length is 57.9mm.

There's also this from Hobbywing, running a single 48mm fan. Diameter is 44mm, length is 66mm.

The BLX 2050 is listed as 41.7mm diameter, 74mm length. The Yeah Racing one looks to be the better option to me, 0.9mm can probably be made to fit easy enough, of it needs modification at all. There's also air volume to consider which I haven't looked into yet.

I'm also no where near my Typhon, since I'm at work 600km away. Anyone with their buggy close that could have a look at the above dimensions, see if the heatsinks/fans should have ample room?

Last edited:
I want to install those cooler fans too. So the yeah racing does fit on v2 Typhon's motor, right? How do I power those 2 fans together? Sorry I'm very new to 1/8 scale.. Thanks.

I want to install those cooler fans too. So the yeah racing does fit on v2 Typhon's motor, right? How do I power those 2 fans together? Sorry I'm very new to 1/8 scale.. Thanks.

You power them through the extra connectors on your receiver box on the buggy. You have 2 used right now. One for the steering servo and one for the throttle. I am not sure how many ports the Typhon as though. Just open the case or check the manual.

So for a follow up. Received my Yeah Racing twin fans last week, and finally got around to installing them. Fits fine, no issues, and works a treat. I haven't ha DC a chance to run it yet, and I don't have a temp gun anyway, so real performance fogures you'll have to find elsewhere.

As for the receiver, there are 2 spare ports in the v2 Typhon from factory, 1 switchable theough the channel 3 buttons on the handset, and one that just runs through the esc switch. I went for the B slot as I'm planning on getting some switchable lights for the ch3 slot. Chopped the fan leads and soldered them together and payched that to a JR servo extension lead with the end chopped off. Very easy.

So for a follow up. Received my Yeah Racing twin fans last week, and finally got around to installing them. Fits fine, no issues, and works a treat. I haven't ha DC a chance to run it yet, and I don't have a temp gun anyway, so real performance fogures you'll have to find elsewhere.

As for the receiver, there are 2 spare ports in the v2 Typhon from factory, 1 switchable theough the channel 3 buttons on the handset, and one that just runs through the esc switch. I went for the B slot as I'm planning on getting some switchable lights for the ch3 slot. Chopped the fan leads and soldered them together and payched that to a JR servo extension lead with the end chopped off. Very easy.

Hi @Beaker thanks for sharing about the Yeah fan/heatsink rundown, however, I got a noob question: So are you essentially soldering the (2) fan wires into 1, and then reconnecting them (using a single port to plugin)?

Yeah man, exactly that, used a JR extension lead, then soldered that onto the joined fan leads.

Only problem I found is a range issue on the car after doing this. Not sure if it was the fans drawing too much current, and interfering with the receiver, or just iffy batteries in the transmitter handset, bit it happened a few times. Changed batteries and switched to the B slot, and seems better for now. Will keep an eye on it.

Yep, a B port and a 3 port.
The B port should turn on with your main switch. The 3 should be switchable with the 3rd Channel switch on the handset, though I was having some issues with this, it just seemed to stay on all the time, acting just like the B port.

If you're feeling super excited, you could also splice the fans into the fan wires for your esc. I've heard this is the better of the 3 options, due to no possible interference with the receiver (don't quote me on this, I savvy, not an engineer), but I initially avoided this due to not wanting to butcher the original wiring just yet.

The B port should turn on with your main switch. The 3 should be switchable with the 3rd Channel switch on the handset, though I was having some issues with this, it just seemed to stay on all the time, acting just like the B port.

If you're feeling super excited, you could also splice the fans into the fan wires for your esc. I've heard this is the better of the 3 options, due to no possible interference with the receiver (don't quote me on this, I savvy, not an engineer), but I initially avoided this due to not wanting to butcher the original wiring just yet.

@Beaker I'm not too excited yet, but when I get there, this info will be super helpful! :)

These hobbywing fans for around $8 are bar none the most efficient fan/heatsink ive used. My latest 70 degree day here in missouri running on both a smc 90c and 60c 4s with a 16t pinion on our local dirt track, my temps barely reached 130 degrees. I race my typhon and bash it at the same time. Big jumps, donuts, and full speed down the straights. Only complaint after about my 10th run i didnt check the screws for the fan and 2 of them fell out today. They screw into the fins of the heatsink and arent very solid. Some gel loctite probably could solve this or zip ties. Upon arrival of the fan you need to use either a vice or maybe a channel lock to squeeze the heatsink a little bit as it will be slightly loose fitting in stock form on your can. don't be alarmed as its really easy to do and now fits snuggly without sliding or using zipties to secure it...for those curious/or unsure, you will have to remove your motor to install the fan.

Attachments

• 20170218_093814.jpg
    20170218_093814.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 206
  • 20170305_202619.jpg
    20170305_202619.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 201
  • 20170305_202544.jpg
    20170305_202544.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 203
The B port should turn on with your main switch. The 3 should be switchable with the 3rd Channel switch on the handset, though I was having some issues with this, it just seemed to stay on all the time, actiing just like the B port.

I used the esc fan plug for mine, I didn't hack into the wires though. I just used a short splitter and plugged them both in.

I used the esc fan plug for mine, I didn't hack into the wires though. I just used a short splitter and plugged them both in.
I was hoping when i plugged it in my 3rd port of my receiver id be able to use the controller to turn the fan on and off. Guys at the track claim they made it not switchable for the 3rd port. If you know of a way let me know please

I was hoping when i plugged it in my 3rd port of my receiver id be able to use the controller to turn the fan on and off. Guys at the track claim they made it not switchable for the 3rd port. If you know of a way let me know please
I have my lights on the third port but they are running off of the turnigy switch. That's really the only way I know.

What is the largest pinion you guys run in the Typhon? I'm looking for speed but not at the expense of killing it. Thanks.

Do you know how to program the 3rd channel on the Tx?

Do you know how to program the 3rd channel on the Tx?

I couldn't get it to work by plugging my lights directly in to the port. I had to use the turnigy switch and then follow the instructions in the manual for programming the 3rd channel

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back