Motor Cooling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steel_Rain

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. BigRock
  3. BigRock 4x4
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton 8S
  7. Kraton 6s
  8. Mojave
  9. Nero
  10. Notorious
  11. Outcast 6s
  12. Outcast 4s
  13. Senton 6s
  14. Talion
  15. Typhon 3s
  16. Vorteks
For those of you with bigger can size motors (56mm/58mm), what are you doing for thermal on the motor cans?

My setup runs cool and I think it’ll still be fine in the warm weather months here in PA, but I would to put a heatsink/fan arrangement on there for insurance.

I know Castle makes the “blower fans” (twin setup) for large can size motors, but that’s a plastic housing with two weak fans.

SkyRC makes a generic 1/5th scale fan that copies the CC setup, but again, that’s cheap plastic with two weak fans.

I know the fans can be upgraded to high flow units in the above, but does anyone make a fully aluminum heatsink with dual fans for us big motor folks? Seems odd this is so difficult when there a dozens of setups for 1/10th and 1/8th sized motors.

My setup is pictured and that giant leopard motor looks lonely.

Attachments

• 8B0421B2-73C5-4F04-8D96-34B621897039.jpeg
    8B0421B2-73C5-4F04-8D96-34B621897039.jpeg
    291.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 63FEA3D6-994C-484D-A531-6D09004E53D4.jpeg
    63FEA3D6-994C-484D-A531-6D09004E53D4.jpeg
    433.1 KB · Views: 119
For those of you with bigger can size motors (56mm/58mm), what are you doing for thermal on the motor cans?

My setup runs cool and I think it’ll still be fine in the warm weather months here in PA, but I would to put a heatsink/fan arrangement on there for insurance.

I know Castle makes the “blower fans” (twin setup) for large can size motors, but that’s a plastic housing with two weak fans.

SkyRC makes a generic 1/5th scale fan that copies the CC setup, but again, that’s cheap plastic with two weak fans.

I know the fans can be upgraded to high flow units in the above, but does anyone make a fully aluminum heatsink with dual fans for us big motor folks? Seems odd this is so difficult when there a dozens of setups for 1/10th and 1/8th sized motors.

My setup is pictured and that giant leopard motor looks lonely.
I'm going to wait until it warms up and see how the temps are. If I don't have to run a fan then I'd prefer not too. More wires to deal with ?

I'm going to wait until it warms up and see how the temps are. If I don't have to run a fan then I'd prefer not too. More wires to deal with ?

Agreed on that, plus the added weight. I just find it odd that nobody is making a true heatsink for these huge can motors.

Agreed on that, plus the added weight. I just find it odd that nobody is making a true heatsink for these huge can motors.
I'm guessing the demand isn't there because the big cans don't run nearly as hot as the higher Kv smaller ones.

I haven't found any specifically 'form to fit' heatsinks for the larger diameter motors yet. I will usually pick up any ol metal one and ziptie it to the motor can, then run my spacers for the fans and bolt them in. Do make sure you leave at least a 1/2" of space between the fan and motor for better air flow!

Yes, the KV has a bearing on that 100%. I think with the pinion sizes some of us are running 34T+, even with these lower KV motors, there is a market there. I'll keep searching.

The only aluminum heat sink I can find for the big cans is by integy. However it Only covers the length of one fan. I own the same design concept for 1/10 scale. You can easily buy 2 to make it fit the full length of the big cans but integy fans are crap.

After running my setup a few more time I'm convinced the 2028 doesn't need a fan. Things may change in the summer but I can't get it into triple digits & that fan wire does attract more gunk.

Same boat here, the HW 56113SL runs cool enough atm.
Will check again when summer temperatures kick in...

I'm running 30/39 gearing and 35/47 gearing on my Outcast 8s and EXB K8S with the XLX2 and 1100kv. 30/35 gearing on my X-Maxx with the 800kv hobbywing motor and Max 5. I'm starting to have heat issues with those set ups during the hot summer here in south Texas, so I'm going to try out putting the stock 8s Xmaxx heatsink on these motors and putting some 40mm cheap fans. If that doesn't work out, the I'll try out the game changer fans ($70+ for a dual set up) with that same heatsink (you just open up the heatsink and close it up again on the motor).

I'm running 30/39 gearing and 35/47 gearing on my Outcast 8s and EXB K8S with the XLX2 and 1100kv. 30/35 gearing on my X-Maxx with the 800kv hobbywing motor and Max 5. I'm starting to have heat issues with those set ups during the hot summer here in south Texas, so I'm going to try out putting the stock 8s Xmaxx heatsink on these motors and putting some 40mm cheap fans. If that doesn't work out, the I'll try out the game changer fans ($70+ for a dual set up) with that same heatsink (you just open up the heatsink and close it up again on the motor).
I am installing the 800kv. Did you find a fan set up that works ok?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back