Vorteks Motor cuts out when turning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

utvbroz

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I have a vortecks 3s and noticed the last few times out that when it turns, the motor cuts out almost completely or stutters. Let the servo center and motor is back to full power.

Assume sign of a servo going bad? Esc?

Thanks in advance!

Your servo is drawing too much power from your BEC. The servo is most likely failing.
I learn so much from these threads with specific problems that I haven't had yet.. very interesting. What's going on to make it cause that side effect? Can't get it's own gears to move so it pulls more voltage to do so, draining power from the rest of the car?

I learn so much from these threads with specific problems that I haven't had yet.. very interesting. What's going on to make it cause that side effect? Can't get it's own gears to move so it pulls more voltage to do so, draining power from the rest of the car?

I do not know the technical....most of us know the stock servo goes bad fast..not all that good at all. If he has an aftermarket, why it is drawing too much power is over my head as well. Glad in this case, the cause was easy to see.

Some have failing servos, but the failure is not this clear to know it is the servo unless like you and I, we ask the vets here (y)

Servo is on its way out..👍
Yup it's junko
Wounder if it's still the stock servo ? If so then yeah time to replace .but if he put in a high kg then that's no bueno as it's taking to much power from the bec.like mentioned .

Last edited:
Most likely that servo, get it out of there before you blow up that ESC.

#1 easiest first thing to do on an RC is set those steering endpoints. Will make the servo last as long as it can and reduce current on the BEC (ESC).

Typically garbage potentiometer units are to blame.. They dead short internally, browning out the esc and rx power...

Most likely that servo, get it out of there before you blow up that ESC.

#1 easiest first thing to do on an RC is set those steering endpoints. Will make the servo last as long as it can and reduce current on the BEC (ESC).
Even setting the end points stock servos on most of these rigs don't last long especially if they bash hard .asking to much of them cheap servos .just take it out spend 30 or 40 on a decent 25 kg and you'll be all set

Even setting the end points stock servos on most of these rigs don't last long especially if they bash hard .asking to much of them cheap servos .just take it out spend 30 or 40 on a decent 25 kg and you'll be all set
Its like rolling the dice.

I have one on my Granite (an older one) that probably has 20+ packs on it.. It is fine, I have seen others literally not even get through 1 full pack. I think its probably just poor QA/QC.

Its like rolling the dice.

I have one on my Granite (an older one) that probably has 20+ packs on it.. It is fine, I have seen others literally not even get through 1 full pack. I think its probably just poor QA/QC.
Its definitely a quality issue..let's face it..servos offer a very important roll in being able to use your rig.i think that quality on stock servos are designed to fail premature so you go back and buy another.thats if it fails after warranty..most do and in this case they have to replace it .and I'm sure they hope you lost your receipt.either way it's a easy fix and easy to replace.just hope it doesn't fail on you when you need it most.then the damages might be worse than just a servo being toast.behind my local high school we have a nice long track.people go there and myself at times to do speed passes.on both ends of the track there are brick walls .I've seen these guys get brave and turn as close as 5 feet before the wall and a few never made it because there servo gave out..they left with a pyle of plastic and broken parts ..

It’s a stock servo. I have beaten it pretty hard and it’s been submerged. Is a 35kg too much for the 3s line? It’s the blue one everyone talks about I had set aside for another machine. Also have the hot racing servo saver to fit that servo. Stock esc

Appreciate all the info. :)

It’s a stock servo. I have beaten it pretty hard and it’s been submerged. Is a 35kg too much for the 3s line? It’s the blue one everyone talks about I had set aside for another machine. Stock esc

35 kg imo is to high.try 25kg.you should have no issues with power supply from bec
35 kg imo is to high.try 25kg.you should have no issues with power supply from bec
Are you sure it's 35kg stock? 🤔

It’s probably the servo like said before but… just for fun and my curiosity, can you turn the AVC all the way down and try it?
I ran across similar awhile back and it was the avc receiver going out.

I'm not familiar with what the vortex 3s has.don't own one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221206-193826.png
    Screenshot_20221206-193826.png
    194.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Cooking dinner sorry should have provided more context. It’s the stock servo in there now having issues. I have a 35kg unused I can throw in it just don’t want to mess up anything as I’m still learning about the electronics on these things

I’ll try turning that setting down all the way as well and give it a run tomorrow. Easy check :)

Cooking dinner sorry should have provided more context. It’s the stock servo in there now having issues. I have a 35kg unused I can throw in it just don’t want to mess up anything as I’m still learning about the electronics on these things

I’ll try turning that setting down all the way as well and give it a run tomorrow. Easy check :)
Yeah I was like 35kg stock in the 3 s line there is no way .I even checked the specs and it's 7kg so 25 would work awesome.thats what I'm using in my BRcc .don't put that 35 kg in it.

Oh wow ya didn’t realize the stock was that small.

Must say I’ve been digging this thing. I run it about every day for the last month and a half bashing it and it’s still holding.

Liked it so much I needed a Senton 3 and notorious 6 lol! That cobra hobby deal for 370 on the notorious pulled me in lol

It’s a stock servo. I have beaten it pretty hard and it’s been submerged. Is a 35kg too much for the 3s line? It’s the blue one everyone talks about I had set aside for another machine. Also have the hot racing servo saver to fit that servo. Stock esc

The 35kg one you have should work fine. You will need a 25T servo saver.

After turning the avc down, the motor is working properly. Good news and thanks for all the suggestions!

Side question…the oem servo randomly turns by itself. I did swap out the servo and it still does it with the 35kg, it’s just way more noticeable now lol. Is the receiver going bad?

I notice if I hold the remote close to the car the servo moves quite a bit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back