Kraton motor/esc questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droste78

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Outcast 4s
Hoping for someone with more intelligence than me to help clarify. On stock electrics, my kraton is rocking an 18T pinion. I turned the punch down to 3 if I remember right. Anywho...with a pair of YR fans on the motor, I was jumping from pavement to grass. Air temp yesterday was @60f, motor was a balmy 105, but the esc hit thermal. It was 155 by the time I wallked over to the truck with the thermometer. I am planning on dropping a new ESC into it, but not sure about what to do. @Lovestricken has said that the max6 is overkill with the motor and pinion he has in it, with a max 8 being the other possibility. With the motor currently staying cool, I don't really want to mess with it right now if i can avoid it. Would i likely be able to leave the stock motor with the 18t if i go to the max8/6, or am i just eliminating a bottleneck, and will likely start frying the motor. I am thinking with the motor staying cool, i would be ok using either ESC with the stock motor, and the extra capacity of the ESC should help cool it down......

If your motor is cooler than your esc than you are overgeared...at least for that setup. And that makes sense. The stock pinion is 13t with a 15t optional speed pinion. You can try to change your esc but now I'm curious why you are using an 18t on a kraton6s.

If your motor is cooler than your esc than you are overgeared...at least for that setup. And that makes sense. The stock pinion is 13t with a 15t optional speed pinion. You can try to change your esc but now I'm curious why you are using an 18t on a kraton6s.
Go fast...jump...flip...repeat lol
I’d get a 4985 and the max6 to call it a day. The motor will break soon enough
The v4 kraton motor mount fits the 4985 but the older v3 mount doesn’t so an upgrade is needs for that
I guess I'm hoping to break up the bill. If that's the optimal path, how safe is it for the esc to be paired with the stock motor for a bit?

Hoping for someone with more intelligence than me to help clarify. On stock electrics, my kraton is rocking an 18T pinion. I turned the punch down to 3 if I remember right. Anywho...with a pair of YR fans on the motor, I was jumping from pavement to grass. Air temp yesterday was @60f, motor was a balmy 105, but the esc hit thermal. It was 155 by the time I wallked over to the truck with the thermometer. I am planning on dropping a new ESC into it, but not sure about what to do. @Lovestricken has said that the max6 is overkill with the motor and pinion he has in it, with a max 8 being the other possibility. With the motor currently staying cool, I don't really want to mess with it right now if i can avoid it. Would i likely be able to leave the stock motor with the 18t if i go to the max8/6, or am i just eliminating a bottleneck, and will likely start frying the motor. I am thinking with the motor staying cool, i would be ok using either ESC with the stock motor, and the extra capacity of the ESC should help cool it down......

It looks like you are asking the right questions. And you’ve gotten some sound advice above. Before I replaced anything I would check the stock blx185 fan. Those things are notorious for going out on me and I think it’s something else. To give you some perspective I ran a Kraton with the high speed pinion and m2c upgraded for a year bashing the living hell out of it and all I kept replacing was ESC fan. Eventually the motor came apart on me. I would check the fan is spinning has all of the blades etc before I go changing the ESC. And even if you do need to replace the ESC if you are happy with the power delivery it’s not a bad idea to just buy the stock ESC from jennysrc. Hope that helps and bash on??

If you are mainly jumping gear back down to 15T and avoid all the hassle. I'm surprised your motor is not hot though
Max6/4985 and V4 motor mount is what I ended up doing.

@Droste78 like stated above. Check the esc fan. I went through about 1 a week. 18t is just fine if all you are doing is jumping. I ran mine for a long time and never had one issue. Yes it's over geared. You already knew that lol. More flips = more fun lol.
Have any questions let me know brother ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back