Mojave Motor/ESC suggestions for Mojave EXB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synthesis

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, I have been doing a lot of research and wanted some input on which one to put into my new Mojave EXB. This is my first Arrma product, I'm excited to try it out. One of my other vehicles, a Proline Pro MT 4x4 has a Hobbywing EZRun Max8 2200kv system but I am wanting to go with a sensored setup as I have yet to experience that in any of my vehicles. My top pick is the Castle Mamba Monster X 8S 1/6 ESC/Motor Combo w/1717 1650kV as it seems a good all around choice for performance and ease of installation. That being said I can't help but want what MFM is doing in his "Mo powa baby! (1100kv build)" thread and stuffing a huge 2028 in there but admittedly it seems a bit extreme... however I could be persuaded. I am no expert by a long shot, but here are some issues I foresee with that setup: extra parts to buy, a bit more work to install, more weight (I'd like it to have a sweet spot between handing, durability and overall performance). Here are some of the desires that I have, I want this truck to be fast, good acceleration and if I could get at least 60mph that would be great. I definitely want the system to run cool enough to be able to just rip with reckless abandon and run packs back to back if possible, I'd probably run 4s or 6s due to weight and battery pack space. If all that wasn't a tall enough order I would like to have as much runtime as I can get so if the 2028 is a battery hog then I would certainly be more inclined to go with the 1717 system. Thank you in advance for any intel you can provide for me. What do you guys have to say, what are your experiences with either of these systems?

Personally I don’t think sensored is something actually needed. But that’s just my opinion, I have sensored motors in a few of my rigs and they are great for crawling. I’m running a max 6 combo in my MEXB and it meets all my expectations, 60 mph, smooth start, I did add a HS/fan to lower temps.

Cheez, thank you for the reply and I know what you mean but I just have to cross the rainbow bridge and see for myself ha. I did consider the Max 6 and might be persuaded but I kinda had some wood over trying a Castle. What did you do for a fan just out of curiosity?

Cheez, thank you for the reply and I know what you mean but I just have to cross the rainbow bridge and see for myself ha. I did consider the Max 6 and might be persuaded but I kinda had some wood over trying a Castle. What did you do for a fan just out of curiosity?
Hobbywing C4 , there are definitely builds out there better than mine but I should mention that I have zero cogging.
I have Castle set ups and have no complaints 👍

Ok I will admit the monster Mojave 1100kv seems a little extreme for some but let me add that I never ever have thermal issues even geared 44/40! I can rip a 6s balls deep w esc fan barely ever on!
I came from the max6 combo which was amazing in the Mojave. HOWEVER, my Mojave is close to 20lbs w 6s pack, the 1650 would be screaming requiring my (previous) massive NTF fan set up and that was only on 6s! She’s a big heavy female dog BUT I needed mo powa!! My sensored set up w the b link is perfect for me (also my first time).
half throttle = 85-90% throttle 1650kv imo. The big block 4985sl has plenty power, I was getting mid 70’s running a hot 24/46 gearing which is now in my super stretched talion not requiring fans Since she’s not nearly as heavy!
I love having the option to go HAM on 8s but still be a freak show on 6s! Unstoppable!

F756B1DD-A8C0-4C9D-8AA9-4A8709993FB7.jpeg
74E5595A-4A48-408D-8B64-52386C2A0534.jpeg
9081E0A7-26D5-428D-A51D-FF26D5C865FC.jpeg

In the talion,

E848E4E5-A3C2-41C6-A7F2-BE34FF073FAA.jpeg
93DD07C4-D1E6-469C-8009-EC3D581CC143.jpeg

The big female dog!! 1100kv.
U like powa like me then here’s ur answer ;-) it’s a finely tuned machine!
44D340C9-3711-4199-A930-E304F4DF9E57.jpeg
87F89A27-CCFA-4FC5-9F2C-5E07DDD7B752.jpeg

967814ED-3577-4F3E-B55B-C409280E31F6.jpeg
B86F57B1-7C7F-44C1-81C2-944FAB5C0B2D.jpeg

You tell me...

@MFM definitely the most badazz mojave on the planet. ☝️👍🤘🤙
8s coming soon! First parallel 6s’s then 8s. Gonna push her til she tells me to stop!!!
Did I mention I can run back to back to back to back 6s. I only have 4 lol.
12-15hp. 20lbs rig... powa to weight baby!! This motor can handle 42lb rig...

Last edited:
I don’t mean to be a bad influence here but if u ain’t first place, you losing. Lol.
i wish u guys could feel the way this thing rips on and off road! Hardly any steering mostly throttle control when beasting over half throttle. Haven’t ever catch full trigger for more than 3-5 seconds!
Unless speed runs.

I don’t mean to be a bad influence here but if u ain’t first place, you losing. Lol.
i wish u guys could feel the way this thing rips on and off road! Hardly any steering mostly throttle control when beasting over half throttle. Haven’t ever catch full trigger for more than 3-5 seconds!
Unless speed runs.
Wait till hit it with 8s.1st 8s video is a must..

I think I'm going to go with the 1717 system for now since it seems the 1100kv 2028 is not in stock currently. I think I will be happy with this setup and if not I can always upgrade right ;-)

Anybody run the Hobbywing Ezrun MAX 4985SL Motor with the Max6? I gotta say it looks compelling as well, the price is pretty damn good.

As I mentioned above ☝️, I have the combo and am very happy with it. I put a Hobbywing C4 on it to bring temps down. It totally satisfies my needs. Personally I’m not interested in building a “Battlebot “ 😎

As I mentioned above ☝️, I have the combo and am very happy with it. I put a Hobbywing C4 on it to bring temps down. It totally satisfies my needs. Personally I’m not interested in building a “Battlebot “ 😎
Cheez, I might have came full circle here and am starting to see the light... Which motor mount is that and is it needed for the install?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back