Typhon Motor Fan for Typhon S6 V5

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willl

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Finally got around to installing a Motor Fan for my Typhon S6 V5

My interest in getting the fan in the dead of Winter in Portland Oregon was so I was ready if I needed one come Summer

I purchased the Powerhobby #PH1289 (Red) / (I've been told the Yeah Racing set-up is the same YA-0261RD (Red))

Install was easy after removing the motor from the car

The heatsink was a little loose but after 6 runs a little bit of dirt has gotten in between the heatsink and the motor and I no longer have any play

I was worried about having enough clearance from the top of the fans to the bottom of the body, overall it looks to be a non-issue (see pictures)

The heatsink is well vented on the top half, I placed strips of paper through the openings in the heatsink to show this (see pictures)
The bottom half of the heatsink is not vented, If I end up running this set up in the summer I will probable drill some 1/2" holes in it

What I noticed after my first 4 runs using the fans with an outside temp. of 65 degrees: My motor temperature was noticeably cooler but I felt like my run time was noticeably shorter (too many variables involved to commit to the noticeably shorter run time)

Two more runs today but I decided I was not going to run the fans at the expense of shorter run time (not that hot out, 65 degrees)
After my 1st run was over, the motor was noticeably hotter than it had ever been before, so much so I took a 20 min. break between batteries
This confirmed my suspicions that a stand-alone heatsink may not be a good idea
Following my normal routine, when I got back home, my temp gun showed the motor was 10 degrees warmer than usual

In Conclusion: The Powerhobby heatsink/fan set-up fits and works well with the Typhon 6S V5. I plan on removing it, drill some holes in the bottom and wait for summer to come to find out if I really need it :)

20210305_114900.jpg

20210305_115426.jpg

20210305_114256.jpg

20210305_114403.jpg

20210305_114324.jpg

20210305_114430.jpg

20210313_172339.jpg

20210313_172247.jpg

20210306_192111.jpg

I used this to fill in the gap between the heatsink clamp and motor.
Finally got around to installing a Motor Fan for my Typhon S6 V5

My interest in getting the fan in the dead of Winter in Portland Oregon was so I was ready if I needed one come Summer

I purchased the Powerhobby #PH1289 (Red) / (I've been told the Yeah Racing set-up is the same YA-0261RD (Red))

Install was easy after removing the motor from the car

The heatsink was a little loose but after 6 runs a little bit of dirt has gotten in between the heatsink and the motor and I no longer have any play

I was worried about having enough clearance from the top of the fans to the bottom of the body, overall it looks to be a non-issue (see pictures)

The heatsink is well vented on the top half, I placed strips of paper through the openings in the heatsink to show this (see pictures)
The bottom half of the heatsink is not vented, If I end up running this set up in the summer I will probable drill some 1/2" holes in it

What I noticed after my first 4 runs using the fans with an outside temp. of 65 degrees: My motor temperature was noticeably cooler but I felt like my run time was noticeably shorter (too many variables involved to commit to the noticeably shorter run time)

Two more runs today but I decided I was not going to run the fans at the expense of shorter run time (not that hot out, 65 degrees)
After my 1st run was over, the motor was noticeably hotter than it had ever been before, so much so I took a 20 min. break between batteries
This confirmed my suspicions that a stand-alone heatsink may not be a good idea
Following my normal routine, when I got back home, my temp gun showed the motor was 10 degrees warmer than usual

In Conclusion: The Powerhobby heatsink/fan set-up fits and works well with the Typhon 6S V5. I plan on removing it, drill some holes in the bottom and wait for summer to come to find out if I really need it :)

View attachment 132050

View attachment 132051

View attachment 132052

View attachment 132053

View attachment 132054

View attachment 132055

View attachment 132056

View attachment 132057

View attachment 132058
I used this to fill the gap between the clamp and motor.

Screenshot_20210313-220548_Amazon Shopping.jpg

That fan was useless to me and a waste of money. Had it on my Typhon and Kraton. doesn't cool and fans last less than 5 runs. Im using the hobbywing fan and heatsink for $10 and it works better. You need a spacer on the fan for proper airflow.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4750717

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywing-c4-motor-heatsink-fan-combo-hwa86080130/p279175
I was surprised how well the Powerhobby fan/heatsink cooled, much better than expected 🤷‍♂️ Guess I will have to bring my temperature gun next time for some real life numbers, damn you SK, lol
I looked at the Hobbywing fan/heatsink, too large @ 44 mm for the Typhon 6S V5 @ 40 mm

Hopefully I get more than 5 runs out it, I will report back on its longevity if it craps out :)

I used this to fill in the gap between the heatsink clamp and motor.

I used this to fill the gap between the clamp and motor.

View attachment 132071
I had seen this post before (thanks) and was going to head in that direction if I needed too but it looks to be a none issue now although if I can place a couple of small pieces of the silicone on the bottom of the heatsink to keep the bottom half of the heatsink off of the motor and still keep the top half of the heatsink touching the motor it would be a win

Amazon order placed 🍻

I was surprised how well the Powerhobby fan/heatsink cooled, much better than expected 🤷‍♂️ Guess I will have to bring my temperature gun next time for some real life numbers, damn you SK, lol
I looked at the Hobbywing fan/heatsink, too large @ 44 mm for the Typhon 6S V5 @ 40 mm

Hopefully I get more than 5 runs out it, I will report back on its longevity if it craps out :)
I have a v3 typhon going on 3 years from Cali, now in Vancouver Wash. Been using the hobbywing heat sink and fan with no issues. I worked the heatsink by slowing adding pressure with my foot to close it up a bit. (take the fan off first) This gave me a tighter fit. ( not my idea but worked) Been on my car since day one.

I bought both the heatsink and fan from Arrma. The sink seems to be made to fit the Typhon. I also thought mine was to loose until I tried mounting it several ways to get body clearance. The center dif. cover has a couple of arms protruding out on each corner. One of these arms fits in one of the sink's groves which holds the sink in place tightly. It looks as if your slots are all the same size unlike the Arrma. Hoping I can post a pic. of it. It looks like they are all the same but the one it is resting in is not a high as the others. Hope you can make a little sense of what I am referring to. :)

DSC_1863.JPG

DSC_1864.JPG

Both my fans on my Powerhobby crapped out over the weekend after moderate bashing. Now have to wait and see if I can get new ones from seller off amazon

Both my fans on my Powerhobby crapped out over the weekend after moderate bashing. Now have to wait and see if I can get new ones from seller off amazon
That's not good news. How long did they last? Have your fans ever gotten wet?

If my Powerhobby fans crap out in a short time frame I will try to find some other fans that work with the Powerhobby heatsink

That's not good news. How long did they last? Have your fans ever gotten wet?

If my Powerhobby fans crap out in a short time frame I will try to find some other fans that work with the Powerhobby heatsink
A couple weeks and only about 3 sessions lol Nope never got em wet. Possible that dirt or rocks got in there and burned em up. I would recommend adding some window screen to keep that from happening. I did it on my 3s rigs but didn't get around to it in time on my Notorious lol Not sure if that's what happened though

I'm just wondering if this ever crapped out? You said you were going to report back if it did. I'm hoping yours is still going strong and the only people coming here are the ones that break.
How are things looking and how many times have you used it now?

Fortunately Covid has been winding down and I've been very busy, unfortunately this means I've had very little free time, it has been many months since I've had the car out 😢

I walk by the car several times a day hoping to have the time to get it out, but in reality I will be busy through Sept. :(

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back