Mojave Motor fan recommendations for HW 4985

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 8s xmaxx heat sink will fit over the motor, and you can screw a 40mm fan into the fins.

mojave5.jpg

mojave9.jpg

The motor can itself is already a heatsink, that is what the ribs are for and keep in mind that is all that the heatsink will come into contact with. Only use heatsinks on smooth motor cans. Other than making something yourself the Alza or Powerhobby fan mounts are your best bet. And those Rocket fans are really nice as they move a boat load of air, I have a couple of the Trackstar branded ones(same fan just a different name).

Here is my setup/
Those are loud! Did you put them on a Y-cable and power them with your receiver?

Those are loud! Did you put them on a Y-cable and power them with your receiver?
Yeah they are but they keep the motor super cool, even on a 100* max temp I have ever seen is 150*. And yes just a Y splitter off the rx with the bec set to 7.4v.
Coincidentally, my new body fans arrived. The re-branding game goes so far that even the manufacturers don't remember their own names and hand out their rebranded stuff lolView attachment 169777View attachment 169778
Yeah I really don't know who the oem is but they make the same fans that are sold under probably a dozen different names.

Yeah they are but they keep the motor super cool, even on a 100* max temp I have ever seen is 150*.
That sounds like just about a perfect setup. What size pinion are you running?

Thanks. I just finished installing the fans. I’m going to do a speed run before I pull the 21t pinion. I have an 18t ready to go after that. Thanks again for the info!

Thanks. I just finished installing the fans. I’m going to do a speed run before I pull the 21t pinion. I have an 18t ready to go after that. Thanks again for the info!
Shoot i'm running 24/46 with that setup hahahaha

Thanks! And that chassis is just ALL kinds of awesome! Nice build!

I don’t think there’s any way I could get near that, even with fans. It’s run mostly on grass. Yours must be a freaking missile. Ever get a top speed recorded?
I run a 1730kv motor in my lighter non just bash it'd out mojave 24/46 with a 40 mm fan on both motor and max6. after 10 min of runtime the max6 was at 115 and the motor was at 170. Hobbystars are a little hotter running it seems to me, and as soon as i knocked the grass out of the guard it actually dropped down to 146. The battery didn't like me much, being only a 5000mah battery hahahaha. I actually run all of my 6s rigs 24/46.
Here was a small snippet of me running it flat out out in front of my apt. It glides over the rough terrain. I will speed run it soon.

mojave10.jpg

Keep in mind you are on gravel, will not work on grass. At 170F I would bet you are already close to toasting your motor. The epoxy holding in the Kevlar will break down 180F-190F and that is irreversible. You are measuring outside after standing for 20s to get cover off etc. My prediction is that you will blow up the motor within the next 10 runs, but I could be wrong, you might just be lucky and riding the hairy edge, enjoy it while you can!

Keep in mind you are on gravel, will not work on grass. At 170F I would bet you are already close to toasting your motor. The epoxy holding in the Kevlar will break down 180F-190F and that is irreversible. You are measuring outside after standing for 20s to get cover off etc. My prediction is that you will blow up the motor within the next 10 runs, but I could be wrong, you might just be lucky and riding the hairy edge, enjoy it while you can!
Maybe so, who knows. I'm running all of my 6s rigs at the same gearing and so far so good on all of them. The hobbystar motors have been very good to me.

Mount is great, fans are poop. Order yourself some aluminum fans right away with spares, or you will wait again. Alu fans are durable compared to the plastic versions, but not indestructible.

Check local pricing as well, but $10 is pretty good.

Mount is great, fans are poop. Order yourself some aluminum fans right away with spares, or you will wait again. Alu fans are durable compared to the plastic versions, but not indestructible.

Check local pricing as well, but $10 is pretty good.
I agree. I already got the Powerhobby mount and 2 Rocket 30mm 28K rpm fans installed on the truck. I saw the AliExpress setup after I already had them. I wish you could just order some of those nice double guards by themselves, but I haven’t found them yet. That said, the Rocket fans I got are just $5.00 on Ali. I paid $16.00 apiece for them Stateside plus $17.00 for the mount, $4.00 for a y-cable plus shipping. You could still get this complete setup for about $21.00 and still end up with two backup plastic fans for your toolbox at the bash site. I’m finding tons of stuff for Arrma on there, some rebranded but obviously the same product as many sold here under a brand name with a much higher price. I also have Traxxas and Team Associated trucks and there are a gazillion items on there for them. It’s a frustrating site to shop, but if you rephrase your searches constantly you eventually find what you want. This hobby is freaking expensive already, and every little bit helps!

The 49mm listing shows 0 in stock. My point was you can get a complete setup for pennies on the dollar without sourcing everything yourself. I found a 49mm mount at an online hobby shop and bought the fans and the y-cable on Amazon. I agree with you about the crappy plastic fans that came with it, I wouldn’t want to run those permanently either but they could be used as spares. For the same price I paid I could have had the complete setup plus EIGHT extra 28k rpm Rocket fans! Tough to beat that and as I said, every little bit helps in this expensive hobby. I posted the link to share this option with others.

The 49mm listing shows 0 in stock. My point was you can get a complete setup for pennies on the dollar without sourcing everything yourself. I found a 49mm mount at an online hobby shop and bought the fans and the y-cable on Amazon. I agree with you about the crappy plastic fans that came with it, I wouldn’t want to run those permanently either but they could be used as spares. For the same price I paid I could have had the complete setup plus EIGHT extra 28k rpm Rocket fans! Tough to beat that and as I said, every little bit helps in this expensive hobby. I posted the link to share this option with others.
Open this one up a bit and it works on 4985's
https://jennysrc.com/collections/tr...its-velineon-brushless-1600xl-traxxas-77076-4

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back