Kraton Motor getting hot after 5 minutes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patsfan 88

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
I recently upgraded to a mm2 esc and a hobbystar 1730kv 4092 motor . I have the d boots backflips on it just upgraded to fast eddys bearings . I run it mainly on 4s motor Temps get up to 135 degrees after maybe 5 minutes . Im still trying to figure out the gearing on this truck. I'm running a 21t pinion on it right now. Is that to high? Oh and I'm looking at doing a ground up build in the future will the castle creations 800kv motor fit in the 6s version?

It continues to climb . yes I have a dual yr fans on a hobby wing heatsink.

Chances are your geared too high. Trying going down to a 17 or so and see if the temps even out. I run on 14t on my kraton using the copperhead2 and 6s, don't have any temp issues. Also I haven't put any fans on the motor yet either.

135F is nothing to worry about, especially after 5 min. Gearing for 4S seems fine imho.
Measure again after ~ 10 min, you want to be in the 160F range and stay below 180F.

For 6S you would have to gear down a bit, 17T seems right.

I just got done testing out.my new power system (max 6 with 4092 1730kv) on a 20 tooth and it got pretty hot as well. Im also using the same fans as you. I think we need to gear down. That 1730 kv motor is an absolute beast though ?
20200526_202358.jpg

Yes that motor is a best i cant full throttle mine on 6s. Im putting new sun and input gears in mine right now. Old ones are shot no ammount of shimming helps.lol been in there for 1.5 years

Attachments

• 15914011329457158375227753217881.jpg
    15914011329457158375227753217881.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 51
Yes that motor is a best i cant full throttle mine on 6s. Im putting new sun and input gears in mine right now. Old ones are shot no ammount of shimming helps.lol been in there for 1.5 years
What pinion have you been running with this motor on 6s?

With more power comes more responsibility! I was running 6S on 20T with a 4986 160kV and it goes up to ~ 165F which dual fans. I ended up gearing down to 18T and will probably change to Backflip LP, that should be the sweetspot for my area (grass) and ambient temps.

What pinion have you been running with this motor on 6s?
I ran the 21 t pinoin the other day . As I just got this motor trying to figure it out. I stepped down to a 19t pinion reshimmed the inside of my front diff as per @olds97_lss advice. Put new input and sun gear or what ever you call it on diff and reshimmed it in bulk head . Runs super cool now didnt take a temp gun out today being that it went from 90's to 48 today.i could hold my hand on back of motor forever so maybe 110 I guess
It sounded like poop gears didn't mesh anymore and slipped on 6s

So it was 60 degrees outside today with strong wind took my truck out and ran a battery pack through it with a 20t pinoin and seen 115 max temp today. I took one shim out of my front and center diff as per @olds97_lss advice . Would the diffs having to many shims cause it to overheat? And bashed it in tall thick grass for about 15minutes motor temp got up to 135 then my max esc came loose . That motor is a BEAST.

thats good to know now. I should have used common sense and my knowledge on rebuilding cars .?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back