Motor getting too warm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Nero
  3. Talion
I got a max6 combo today. Once I set it up, I noticed that the motor got very warm after about 15 seconds of throttle with no load (not even installed on the car). I can do this with my other rc motors without this problem, but not this motor. I took the motor apart to look for damage, but couldn't find any. Is this normal? What should I do? Should I contact HW, or should I put it in the car?

I got a max6 combo today. Once I set it up, I noticed that the motor got very warm after about 15 seconds of throttle with no load (not even installed on the car). I can do this with my other rc motors without this problem, but not this motor. I took the motor apart to look for damage, but couldn't find any. Is this normal? What should I do? Should I contact HW, or should I put it in the car?

If no visible damage within the motor.. perhaps it just need a couple of runs to break-in properly.

And, if you are that concerned with a new motor, then add a could of 40mm fans to it.

Couple of thoughts. Are your batteries up to the new motor? What size and kv motor? And what is hot? Need a temp reading to know for sure what is going on, not by feel. And was it wire correctly? Does the motor rotate by hand?

Couple of thoughts. Are your batteries up to the new motor? What size and kv motor? And what is hot? Need a temp reading to know for sure what is going on, not by feel. And was it wire correctly? Does the motor rotate by hand?
My batteries are around 4 months old and in good running condition. It is a 4985 1650kv motor. Around 80-90F. It was wired correctly. It turned easily.

☝️+1 need temp reading. I see this at work some office person goes into the electrical room looking for a tripped breaker and they touch/lean on a transformer and we get a call the buildings going to burn 🔥 down. I always tell them that it’s fine and to stay out of there and then there like are you sure! We had one “Karen” call the office to say she wasn’t sure I “knew what I was talking about! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂.

☝️+1 need temp reading. I see this at work some office person goes into the electrical room looking for a tripped breaker and they touch/lean on a transformer and we get a call the buildings going to burn 🔥 down. I always tell them that it’s fine and to stay out of there and then there like are you sure! We had one “Karen” call the office to say she wasn’t sure I “knew what I was talking about! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂.
Around 80-90F
Boom. I don't have a certain temperature because I don't have a temp gun.

Unloaded motors run into high rpm's right quick.
So don't rev them unloaded.
The temp gun is definitely your best indicator, but i've been fine without. 140f wil burn your fingers when touching a motor. Gear it properly and add decent cooling and it won't get that hot anyway. Mine get warm to the touch. Hot to touch is probably still ok, but for me it means i am pushing it and i give them time to cool down.
That usually doesn't happen during a whole pack.

We tried one of those at work. It wasn’t the most accurate but it was within 5-10 degrees. I have the fluke 62 but my work bought it gif me.

It was once pointed out to me on another forum that no-load spinning of a motor can actually make them pretty warm. The 1650kv motor looks to have a no-load current of 5.4 amps, which means electricity is still flowing, and you're generating heat through inefficiency and resistance in the wires. Different motors react differently to no-load spinning. My guess is the 1650kv hobbywing motor just happens to get warmer than others under no-load conditions. If it rotor spins fine (not seized or hard to spin), I'd personally install and run it before making any determinations.

Here's a solid youtube video about it:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back