Motor is overheating

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bragging rights.
what is there to brag about? Should be common sense it was mentioned as a comparison. Can't believe that needs to be explained.

Yeah it's the pinion size. 100%.

The stock setup is pretty close to maxing out the stock ESC. As for running 3s in general, this is about where you start to find limits with standard 3s gear. Arrma getting 50mph stock on their sub-par electronics is actually a pretty impressive accomplishment. Don't ask more from the motor/esc and not expect it to fight back.

The most you can get from the blx100 is using about a 4068 size motor geared for stock speeds (50ish). Anything else and you're ripe to fry the esc.

Can someone please explain why this guy complaines about motor temps and never even mentions what esc he is using but everyone ignores it and mentions esc temp. Am I the one who is missing something? From my POV all of you are drunk off cough medication 🤣. The name of the thread is even "motor overheating". I must be missing something.

Can someone please explain why this guy complaines about motor temps and never even mentions what esc he is using but everyone ignores it and mentions esc temp. Am I the one who is missing something? From my POV all of you are drunk off cough medication 🤣. The name of the thread is even "motor overheating". I must be missing something.
🥱 I’m sorry, did you say something?

🥱 I’m sorry, did you say something?
I knew you were an old man who acts like a child allergic to logic but damn maybe you should block me 🤣.

I knew you were an old man who acts like a child allergic to logic but damn maybe you should block me 🤣.
Good idea! Your ego driven drivel is just too much, especially when combined with the massive chip on your shoulder 🙄

Good idea! Your ego driven drivel is just too much, especially when combined with the massive chip on your shoulder 🙄
I'm glad me enjoying 60 mph brought it out of you. 😎 👍 speaking of chips, I've seen you attack multiple people on this forum for the dumbest of poop. Look in the mirror and stop projecting.

Last edited:

The only person that repeatedly says anything about esc temp is you 🤷... Nobody else has mentioned that..

It's simple, almost all of the kV change was soaked up in the tire swap.. tire is gear no matter how you slice it..

The only person that repeatedly says anything about esc temp is you 🤷... Nobody else has mentioned that..

It's simple, almost all of the kV change was soaked up in the tire swap.. tire is gear no matter how you slice it..
You've repeatedly mentioned 3s esc being maxed out etc etc. Samething as Hector and we don't even know what esc he is using. You should go back and read your posts. You mention esc numerous times and I only brought it up because you did. The guy is using upgraded motor so it could easily be upgraded esc too.

People earlier in the thread gave great advice about gear mesh and fans. Personally I thought that was spot on. We all know it's easy to tell someone to gear down to fix a heat problem. Maybe he didn't want the easy generic reply though. Maybe he want to go 60mph when he gets the itch. My only purpose was to let him know it's possible and he can do things to try and fix his motor temp without dropping teeth.

Gaining 10 mph over stock with upgraded electronics is not crazy to me. I'm not sure why it's so crazy to all of you but it is what it is. I meant no disrespect to you or anyone else so if you took it that way or I came off that way I apologize. At the end of the day we're both trying to help someone and nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:
You've repeatedly mentioned 3s esc being maxed out etc etc. Samething as Hector and we don't even know what esc he is using. You should go back and read your posts. You mention esc numerous times and I only brought it up because you did.
My point is that the OP is focusing on motor temps, but in reality, he's pushing the ceiling of 3s, or a BLX100. I made an assumption that OP has a stock system since they didn't mention another ESC. Generally, people running aftermarket electronics are the kind of folks who are quick to post that kind of stuff.

While I did make the assumption about the BLX100, my point stands that "3s" is generally fully tapped at around 50mph. You can try to shove more amps through any ESC, as the 3s speed runners do, but whether it's a blx100 or XLX2, more amps is a process of diminishing returns.

@djdjdjshsh can clarify what ESC is in the truck and we'll see if it adds to the conversation.

Alternatively the OP could keep the current pinion and go down a few teeth on the spur..will it still overheat? IDK, but at least the mesh can be set properly.

You've repeatedly mentioned 3s esc being maxed out etc etc. Samething as Hector and we don't even know what esc he is using. You should go back and read your posts. You mention esc numerous times and I only brought it up because you did. The guy is using upgraded motor so it could easily be upgraded esc too.

People earlier in the thread gave great advice about gear mesh and fans. Personally I thought that was spot on. We all know it's easy to tell someone to gear down to fix a heat problem. Maybe he didn't want the easy generic reply though. Maybe he want to go 60mph when he gets the itch. My only purpose was to let him know it's possible and he can do things to try and fix his motor temp without dropping teeth.

Agreed, there is no mention of the esc being upgraded... So I guess we are assuming it's stock, and you are assuming it's upgraded.. all he said was he upgraded the motor.. That would by default make one assume the esc is stock...

No matter how many times the esc has been mentioned nobody has said anything about esc TEMPS as you keep mentioning..

An esc can have a direct relation to the heat the motor see's.. depends how dirty the power delivery is.. that's why you comparing a firma 150 is just silly..

The end result is you have no clue what he is running, nor do I, but common sense derived from his statement is he changed the motor, not the esc..
Alternatively the OP could keep the current pinion and go down a few teeth on the spur..will it still overheat? IDK, but at least the mesh can be set properly.

Lowering spur tooth count would be hotter, smaller spur is more top gear less torque..👍

Agreed, there is no mention of the esc being upgraded... So I guess we are assuming it's stock, and you are assuming it's upgraded.. all he said was he upgraded the motor.. That would by default make one assume the esc is stock...

No matter how many times the esc has been mentioned nobody has said anything about esc TEMPS as you keep mentioning..

An esc can have a direct relation to the heat the motor see's.. depends how dirty the power delivery is.. that's why you comparing a firma 150 is just silly..

The end result is you have no clue what he is running, nor do I, but common sense derived from his statement is he changed the motor, not the esc..
Even with stock esc I don't think it would cause his motor temps to overheat. I guess thats why I don't understand why esc was mentioned at all. Maybe I'm wrong but that makes no sense to me. I was under the impression the motor pulls from the ESC not the other way around. If that is the case, then esc dictating motor temperature has me scratching my head. I've blown esc's and my motor temps were not even hot. You're the first person I've ever seen on this forum act like esc dictate motor temp.

Lowering spur tooth count would be hotter, smaller spur is more top gear less torque..
Yes, I agree. However, it could be the added resistance of the mesh that's making the heat.
Sounds like the OP's setup is at the upper limit, IDK for sure. The bigger motor will alter what's possible ,especially being a lower kv.
I have to say, if the pinion wouldn't "slide" on, I don't think I would have forced the issue.. we were all new at this stuff at one time.✌👌🍻

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back