Motor is overheating

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djdjdjshsh

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
So I got this motor on amazon (photo below) and it’s overheating I have a 25t pinion on there and I’ve been suggested that’s what is making it overheat, also when I installed the pinion I really had to jam it on there to fit idk if that could be a reason but I wanted to point that out as well, also I have metal difs and metal driveshaft but idt that would cause overheating, I’ll also put photos of the motor itself to help,

78AFF93F-A1DC-461D-9643-4E3C291888EE.png

image.jpg

image.jpg

So I got this motor on amazon (photo below) and it’s overheating I have a 25t pinion on there and I’ve been suggested that’s what is making it overheat, also when I installed the pinion I really had to jam it on there to fit idk if that could be a reason but I wanted to point that out as well, also I have metal difs and metal driveshaft but idt that would cause overheating, I’ll also put photos of the motor itself to help,

View attachment 271870

View attachment 271872

View attachment 271873

The Combination of the Huge Pinion and those Trencher Tires PLUS that tiny factory fan will kill that motor...

Reduce the pinion AND get BIGGER Fan(S) for that heatsink.

and adjust the mesh better.

Mos def, that mesh ain’t helping for sure. Looks way too tight. That pinion doesn’t physically fit with any leeway at all to adjust your mesh. Go down a couple teeth for sure.

Just to mention it, if you had to really jam the pinion on, I'm imagining like tapping it on with something, that might have damaged the motor bearings. In addition, running it with the mesh really tight could also be bad for the bearings.

It's possible that they might need some attention too. Or they could at least be something to keep an eye on.

Stock on a granite is 15T I believe. that's crazy! 🔥🔥
To be fair, stock motor kv is 3200 vs the 2650 he has in there now and it's a bigger can. I'm geared 27/42 on my typhon 3s with 2150 kv granted my motor is bigger than his.

I definitely think his mesh and weak fan are a big part of the problem. :eek:

I actually didn't think the speed difference would be that big tbh. His gearing still not that bad though. He could probably afford to drop a tooth or two but with a better fan and depending on how he drives it could easily work. Check out what mine is at

1674361764854.png

Thats on 4s too. I have to worry about the 150a spektrum esc temps more than motor temps. That is on road though.

I actually didn't think the speed difference would be that big tbh. His gearing still not that bad though. He could probably afford to drop a tooth or two but with a better fan and depending on how he drives it could easily work. Check out what mine is at

View attachment 271987

Thats on 4s too. I have to worry about the 150a spektrum esc temps more than motor temps. That is on road though.

I'd say his gearing is not alright.. a 25t on trenchers and off road is not a good combo..

I'd say his gearing is not alright.. a 25t on trenchers and off road is not a good combo..
I gear almost all my off road rigs for 70 mph at least so my experience is very different from yours. That's faster than he is geared and I'm not the only one around here who does it. Though I also clearly stated he could afford to drop a tooth or two as well.

I'm honestly surprised to see people are saying 60 mph is too fast for off road. Even my 1/5 rigs can achieve that. You guys are slow! 🤣

My kraton 4s is currently geared for 69 mph with a 20t pinion and 154mm tires which are bigger than trenchers 🤣

Last edited:
I gear almost all my off road rigs for 70 mph at least so my experience is very different from yours. That's faster than he is geared and I'm not the only one around here who does it. Though I also clearly stated he could afford to drop a tooth or two as well.

I'm honestly surprised to see people are saying 60 mph is too fast for off road. Even my 1/5 rigs can achieve that. You guys are slow! 🤣

My kraton 4s is currently geared for 69 mph with a 20t pinion and 154mm tires which are bigger than trenchers 🤣

You are comparing apples to oranges.. are you running a factory 3s esc? C'mon man.. 🤦.. a factory Typhon ( least load on electronics out of the whole 3s line up) on factory tires, on factory 3s esc can't even take a 25t off road without smoking itself.. let's be real.. now add huge heavy tires to that.. that's 10t over geared at 25t... Of course it's going to get hot.. the kv isn't that much different from factory..

Your 4s and 3s rigs running a firma 150 can't compare.. same with your 6s or 1/5 scale, so why even bring it up?.. 🤦

You are comparing apples to oranges.. are you running a factory 3s esc? C'mon man.. 🤦.. a factory Typhon ( least load on electronics out of the whole 3s line up) on factory tires, on factory 3s esc can't even take a 25t off road without smoking itself.. let's be real.. now add huge heavy tires to that.. that's 10t over geared at 25t... Of course it's going to get hot.. the kv isn't that much different from factory..

Your 4s and 3s rigs running a firma 150 can't compare.. same with your 6s or 1/5 scale, so why even bring it up?.. 🤦
Maybe the same reason you brought up esc temps when we're talking about motors? how is anything you just said relevant? He didn't come in here complaining about esc temps.

2650kv is a big difference from 3200kv so I don't know what you are talking about with that either. Again, what does my esc have to do with anything? I just gave you a prime example of a kraton 4s geared 69 mph with zero problems and you bring up esc temps.

No clue why you're bringing up irrelevant info and comparisons but my kraton 4s comparison was more spot on than anything you said. Hell, these trucks say 50+ mph on the damn box and you want to say 60 mph with aftermarket motor is doing to much? even with smaller diameter tires than what I'm using? Come on bro.

Last edited:
Maybe the same reason you brought up esc temps when we're talking about motors? how is anything you just said relevant? He didn't come in here complaining about esc temps.

2650kv is a big difference from 3200kv so I don't know what you are talking about with that either. Again, what does my esc have to do with anything? I just gave you a prime example of a kraton 4s geared 69 mph with zero problems and you bring up esc temps.

No clue why you're bringing up irrelevant info and comparisons but my kraton 4s comparison was more spot on than anything you said. Hell, these trucks say 50+ mph on the damn box and you want to say 60 mph with aftermarket motor is doing to much? even with smaller diameter tires than what I'm using? Come on bro.

An esc has alot to do with motor temps just so you know... I said nothing about esc temps at all..

Your rig means nothing dude.. not comparable...

A majority will agree the gearing is to tall..

I'm not getting into a tit for tat with you.. if you feel your right, great have at it.. I just don't know why you keep comparing completely different rigs with completely different electronics... Blows my mind..

An esc has alot to do with motor temps just so you know... I said nothing about esc temps at all..

Your rig means nothing dude.. not comparable...

A majority will agree the gearing is to tall..

I'm not getting into a tit for tat with you.. if you feel your right, great have at it.. I just don't know why you keep comparing completely different rigs with completely different electronics... Blows my mind..

Yep 60 mph is too much for his motor, whatever you say bro. :cool: (y)

Yep 60 mph is too much for his motor, whatever you say bro. :cool: (y)

Yes, yes it is, have you ever, and I mean ever seen a 3s rig do 60mph off road and not one pass, over and over and over again?.. your out your coconut dude..

Yes, yes it is, have you ever, and I mean ever seen a 3s rig do 60mph off road and not one pass, over and over and over again?.. your out your coconut dude..
who goes full throttle over and over and over again? I already told you what my kraton is geared and it's faster than the op setup. I also clearly stated in post #10 "depending on how he drives it". You're the one who is quoting me and trying to correct me like I'm wrong. I didn't come at you over your conservative gearing opinion.

You're free to think gearing a rig for 60 mph is worthy of being "out of my coconut". Just like I'm free to think it's hilarious that it says 50+ mph on the box but upgrading the motor and wanting 10 more mph is somehow ludacris.

View attachment 271870

View attachment 271872

View attachment 271873
That is personally way to big of a pinion gear. I would gear down a little and test to see if that motor fan is strong enough for such a large motor. If it is not maybe invest in a dual motor fan.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back