Typhon Motor Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xgreenlepx

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I took my 3s apart because it seemed really noisy and I know some people said it was due to a tight gear mesh. The gear mesh seemed to be fine, but the motor itself is very loud and rattles. Every brushless motor I have ever used typically makes a whining noise, so I am assuming something is wrong. Does this seem like a bearing issue?

Man, I would send that video right over to horizon and get a new motor... And I would agree with the bearing diagnosis.

I took my 3s apart because it seemed really noisy and I know some people said it was due to a tight gear mesh. The gear mesh seemed to be fine, but the motor itself is very loud and rattles. Every brushless motor I have ever used typically makes a whining noise, so I am assuming something is wrong. Does this seem like a bearing issue?

Yes that looks like a bearing issue, I had a very similar problem. Also I agree with @Jeremy in WI . Contact horizon and they will send you a new motor. And luckily for you, horizon is receiving their shipment of motors tomorrow. I contacted them and they are sending me a new one as well. Good luck!

I sent an email to Aarma with the video attached, but didn't get a response yet. I know Horizon owns Aarma, so its probably going to the same inbox, but should I send the request to them as well?

Sure, why not. I sent one to arrma a while back, waited 2 days, sent a copy and paste to horizon, and got a response within an hour. They did ultimately reply to both requests, merging them into 1 claim. In the future I would probably just send to horizon.

I sent an email to Aarma with the video attached, but didn't get a response yet. I know Horizon owns Aarma, so its probably going to the same inbox, but should I send the request to them as well?
I would definitely send it to Horizon direct. Their support email is listed on the website. I recently sent a small claim (with photos) for some damaged parts, and it took about a week for a response. When they did, it was to tell me that new parts had been ordered. Great service.

Just talked to Horizon to check the status of my new motor, they said they did receive the shipment today but they are 10 motors short of filling all of their current orders. They couldn't tell me where I was on the list, but I'm really hoping I'm not one of the 10 orders that they are short. Just letting you know because if you haven't heard back from them yet, your motor will be on backorder. @xgreenlepx

So, I did get two responses from Horizon. One seems like they are going to ship me a new motor. I just need to find the receipt that I got when I bought it.

Now the other one.....

I didn't know captain obvious left his job at Hotels.com ;)

Just talked to Horizon to check the status of my new motor, they said they did receive the shipment today but they are 10 motors short of filling all of their current orders. They couldn't tell me where I was on the list, but I'm really hoping I'm not one of the 10 orders that they are short. Just letting you know because if you haven't heard back from them yet, your motor will be on backorder. @xgreenlepx

I just got my replacement motor, so I would have to assume that they have them in stock now. Very happy with the speed of horizons customer service.

I've had the same happen on my 3s Typhon, waiting for a wty replacement......
I'd almost be tempted to change the stock bearings out but I think the bearings may not be the entire problem.
The factory set mesh seems way too tight (in all of mine and many other reported cases) and the extra pressure could be a bearing killer. In any case, I filed the mounting holes out 0.5mm with a jewelers file and the mesh was great.

The same thing happened to my Typhon 3s right out of the box. Got five minutes of run time, and that front bearing went out. I also have a older Granite blx with the same motor, that has been going strong ever since new. It must have been a bad batch of bearings in the Typhons. Anyway I contacted horizon the next day, and they said they will send me a new motor. Well that was two months ago, and I just got shipping info for my motor Friday.

Ok, so I was able to run the new motor a little in a parking lot last weekend. I ran it for the second time today and when I took it apart to clean everything, I noticed the motor sounded rough and gritty. Is this a case of there being stuff inside the motor or did the new motor go bad already?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back