Motor KV for a Fury

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a tough one...
The sidewinder finds it's place in heavy 4x4 SCT racers, as you can read also on the website of CC.

Both are very powerful motors, much more power than the already powerful Arrma 80A 3600kv motor/esc combo.

Is it for bashing only? Or racing as well?
I would recommend to experiment with different gear ratio's with these.
Maybe go for a 17t motor gear for example.

But the biggest question I have: will it be still controllable and fun to drive without AVC (Spectrum) for example?

A lot will depend on which gear pitch you're running in your Fury. If you are still running on the 48dp gearing,then I would say Unusual's idea is a fair one. If however,like me you've already changed over to 32dp gearing,then I'd say to try either a 13t or 14t pinion to start off with. I wouldn't even try the 17t gear on that pitch,as it'll be uncontrollable, in that you'll never manage to get the power down without it spinning out,no matter what the tyres.

.. If however,like me you've already changed over to 32dp gearing,then I'd say to try either a 13t or 14t pinion to start off with. I wouldn't even try the 17t gear on that pitch,as it'll be uncontrollable...

I was referring to the 32dp size gears, as default on the Fury BLX.
I have both 15t and 17t here, and the last one I use with 3S on tarmac only.

But that is with a 4-pole 3600kV motor. This is 4-pole 4700kV...so even more RPM and supposed the same if even more torque than the Arrma BLX version. And not less (than it would make sense to go to smaller pinions)

That is why I ask: will it make sense?
Only on hard surfaces you will be able to go flat out on 2S. And you'd better change tires as well then to keep the front end facing forward :cool:

Thanks for your answers, I will used to bash mostly but if you said it is too powerful then I will look for other options. I am still running 48dp but plan to go to 32dp when upgrading to brushless. Should I go for the 54T or the 57T?

I could only find the 57t spur,I didn't find anyone that had the 54t. If you fit the 57t spur,you'll find that the maximum pinion size will be 17t and it's a very snug fit. If you're not careful when tightening up the motor mounting screws,you'll find that the gears rub together rather than having the tiniest little bit of play.

I could only find the 57t spur,I didn't find anyone that had the 54t. If you fit the 57t spur,you'll find that the maximum pinion size will be 17t and it's a very snug fit. If you're not careful when tightening up the motor mounting screws,you'll find that the gears rub together rather than having the tiniest little bit of play.

So what spur do you recommend me to use? and what combo to put on?

Personally,I wouldn't go too much above a 4000kV 4-pole motor,which with either spur,(54 or 57),should still be controllable with either a 15 or 16t pinion. You only really need a 17t one if you're going for speed runs and then,only on tarmac.

Nice,I have the 60A version of that esc and have found it to be very reliable,I've used it now for two years. At that price,you really can't complain. I'm currently looking to upgrade my motor from a 3200kV to a 3900kV(sensorless 4-pole). There is very little cogging in the 4-pole motors,compared to the 2-pole ones.

3650 3900KV 4P Sensorless Brushless Motor &60A Brushless ESC fr 1/10 RC Car J1AL
( 371490175842 )

Last edited:
I'm running the 3600 sc edition castle in my 2wd granite and I think it's perfect. I do mostly yard bashing. If you're going to do anything competitive it's probably overkill, but I'm very happy with how it performs around the yard. The new 1410 can has more torque, which is what I was looking for. Upon running 3s I did detonate the gearbox though. Probably got 3 full packs before breakage. Currently waiting on the blx metal replacement parts.

That's close to the original BLX power system.
But mind you if you go for a combo, the ESC recommend for this motor has at least 80A continues output.

A big problem with the current method of describing an electric motor does not tell you much about the expected torque.
kV is just the rpm per volt free spinning. Not under load
the amount of poles (for cars 2 or 4) tells you something about the torque. 4 poles has more torque and often has less kV. 2-poles are motors which like to rev.
Than you have can size: 540 or 550 equivalent length. This tells you something about how big the magnets could be. Bigger magnets, more torque. But it does not tell you where those magnets are made out of, and how big they are. Etc.
Than you have the windings sometimes instead of kV. That also does not tell that much.

So to summarize: it is always a bit of a gamble if a motor will work.

I'm running the 3600 sc edition castle in my 2wd granite and I think it's perfect. I do mostly yard bashing. ...

Nice to hear ;)
But a pity we cannot compare it to Arrma's own 3600kV/80A power-plant. I am curious to hear about the differences

I'm only buying the combo in order to get the motor,the esc is just an added bonus,which will be getting put into one of my other cars. I only ever run my cars on 2s,which is quite fast enough for me,certainly as far as racing is concerned.

I think Castle underrates their ESC's personally. I ran a full three packs on 3s through their short course combo and only ended up at 119 degrees F, of course now I'm waiting on new diff gears. A lot of it is related to driving preference as well. My son likes the higher KV motors because he is simply after top speed. Lower KV motors aren't all created equal, but they do tend to have more torque. Brand loyalty is another factor. It is so prevalent in these discussions that every "what KV motor should I go with?" discussion ends up taking on a life of its own. I am a little bumbed that I didn't start with the brushless Arrma system, so can't draw a comparison.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back