Motor kv help please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoNoHarm

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
Alright bare with me. Let’s put a scenario up. I run a 4276 2200kv motor on 6s.
If I were to put a 4276 lower kv motor of any kind on 6s, but gear it up for identical top speed, would this make everything about the vehicle’s temperature better? Or would it be the exact same?

I’m aware of how motor kv works and the torque and stuff, just wondering if it perfectly balances out or if it actually wins out on efficiency.

It's my understanding that a lower Kv motor should be more efficient therefore generating less heat. Just how much difference it makes, I do not know.

It's my understanding that a lower Kv motor should be more efficient therefore generating less heat. Just how much difference it makes, I do not know.
Oh that’s pretty cool, I figured it’d just balance out completely. I’ll wait for some more replies!

Annnd it wouldn’t draw more amps? Realize, (not saying you don’t know, just making sure) motor rpm has little to no affect on the heat it generates, rather the amount of amps it pulls. That said, the reason I created this thread is because a low kv motor pulls less amps, but if you gear it up to the same speed as a high kv motor, would it still be pulling less amps? That’s the question left unanswered fully. I hope someone can chip in.

Nope I’m not too knowledgeable on this...just trying to think through it with ya and maybe learn a thing or two.

When you gear it up it is still pulling less amps to hit the same speed using the mechanical advantage of the larger pinion so I would think it would require less amps to achieve that.

You could be and probably are totally right. I guess when I buy a 4082 motor (because standard 8th scale 4276 sized motors are just too underpowered for an e revo) I’ll make sure to get something crazy low, like 1480kv.

Gearing I run with my 2000kv is 15/54 so I’ll probs go 20/46.

Alright bare with me. Let’s put a scenario up. I run a 4276 2200kv motor on 6s.
If I were to put a 4276 lower kv motor of any kind on 6s, but gear it up for identical top speed, would this make everything about the vehicle’s temperature better? Or would it be the exact same?

I’m aware of how motor kv works and the torque and stuff, just wondering if it perfectly balances out or if it actually wins out on efficiency.

All things equal, current drawn is the same.
assuming you'd want both motors to reach the same top speed, a lower kv motor would require higher gearing than the higher kv motor. both motors same can length

power = force x velocity
force is what is required to overcome frictional and resistance force at speed.

power is also a function of voltage x current, p = VI

Therefore,
Voltage x current = force x velocity

this implies that at any speed, current drawn is the same.

using that equation, assuming both trucks are using the same pinion, lets say 20T, the higher kv motor would reach a higher top end and since voltage and force are the same for both vehicles, the current drawn would be higher for the equation to hold true.

Last edited:
So in English, it would not be beneficial?
Thanks for your reply.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back